A natural work of art (in Australia)

by WildHorses 76 Replies latest social entertainment

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I was reading a bit about the history of Australia and came upon a beautiful place.

The 12 Apostles. Isn't it just beautiful?

One day I will have the money to go and see your beautiful country.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Yes, it's a beautiful part of Australia. It is my dream to one day do a tour of the area. The highway that you have to go on to get there is called the Great Ocean Road. It hugs the coast and is a very beautiful drive.

Hope to see you on our shores one day, Lilacs.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Now Lilacs, my favourite place in Oz is the Grampians, in Victoria. A range of mountains.Rather unusual they are. Mainly its a place of rock formations and water falls. Plenty to see there, especially for the vigourous, those who dont mind walking, or an easy rock climb. Below is the view from the "Boroka" lookout. worth the drive I think.

The thing about the grampians is that there are many peculiar rock formations, all of which have to be walked into, you cannot drive in. But they are easy walks. Here is just one, which they call "The grand canyon".

There are also many waterfalls which have to be walked into. Such as McKenzie Falls.

Edited by - refiners fire on 27 September 2002 18:11:45

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Those are awsome PICs

Lilacs, I can get a great deal on air fare to OZ. to Sidney for $786.00 Thats about 1/2 price.

LOL!

It might as well be 1,000.000.00 and 1/2 price 500,000.00 LOL.

Maybe we could sneak one of us on for free. You can curl up in the fetal position for about 12 hours and sit in my lap. HAhaha.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hey Plum. I was just thinking about you. true. No fib. Actually i was thinking where id take you if you ever got out here. I think the Great Ocean road, past the 12 apostles to Warnambool. Then Press on to Mount Gambier and the Ewen, and Picannini Ponds where there would be snorkelling and scuba diving in the strange waterways there. After that, inland a bit so you could see some dry country, and around to the Grampians on the way home. A bit of a circuit there and plenty to see.

Anyone interested in an Oz history should read "The Fatal Shore". A great book. All about the convicts. The "flogging parson", the "rum rebellion". great incidents. Not many people know that William Bligh. Of Mutiny on the Bounty fame, was governor of Sydnay in the old days and his men mutinied against him in the "rum rebellion". True.2 major mutinies to his name. He was an unlucky guy.

Edited by - refiners fire on 27 September 2002 18:34:18

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

rf, those places are beautiful too. I'd love to be able to travel the world, just to see the beauty of it. In the US i'd like to visit place like...........

The Oregon coast near Brookings

and the Grand Canyon

and Yosemite Falls

The california Red woods has always been a place i've wanted to see

We have a few nice places in NC, like the ocean and the mountians, but I've seen them already.

Anyone feel like donating a million dollars so I can see the world?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Plm, if we staterd saving now, we could go in a couple years. How'd you feel having me as a travel companion?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think Id take you both to the Ewen Ponds as well, so bring your swim togs!! If you ever make it there are numerous people in Melbourne ans sydney who would fight over you gals, and who gets to host you and for how long. Get your buns here!!

Ewen ponds, below.

I could get you here and back in a day drive, just to tempt you a bit. Lol.

Edited by - refiners fire on 27 September 2002 19:23:41

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Plm, if we staterd saving now, we could go in a couple years. How'd you feel having me as a travel companion?

I'm game! Start saving.

RF Oz is Ozome! Can't wait to see it. I had no idea there was so many diferent types of tapography(spell ck) there. I thought there was hardly any water except for swamp/wetlands That lake on top of that mt. is beautiful.

Lilacs, I went camping in the Red Woods a few years back or so. You would love it. Some of the trees are hollow'd out from way in the past and you can walk into them. Into the tree trunks. Their as big as a livingroom. The furniture inside was carced carved as the room's were carved so the room and the furniture inside the tree trunk is one solid piece. They have a sign posted in the forest next to a tree that say's its the oldest living tree on earth. It looks like it's over 1,000 feet tall.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 27 September 2002 20:27:17

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Plum. There is a chain of mountains that runs the entite length of the country from Queensland to Tasmania, the "Great divide".All the rain falls on the ocean side of the divide. On the ocean side of the divide there is plenty of water.All the cities are on the ocean side. Once you get to Queensland the ocean side of the divide becomes tropical and "jungle" like. On the Inland side of the divide there is no water. As you progress further inland, it becomes more desert like.Thats basically how it works.

The grey areas are the Divide mountains.

Edited by - refiners fire on 27 September 2002 20:39:43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit