Special assembly day

by comment 17 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I attended a local special assembly day yesterday. Didn't seem like too much had changed overall. However, I've got some questions.

1) When did the Society decide to revert to allowing Witnesses to study more than one book with their Bible studies? There was a part where they gave examples of how studies had "benefited" from being prolonged beyond the six-month Knowledge book program. "Wisdom directed the study should be carried on etc." In other words--back to the way it used to be.

As I recall, a few years ago it was set up so that Witnesses weren't even going to be offering anything outside the Knowledge book and selected brochures door-to-door! Has that changed too?

I suspect this is to make sure that a) field service hours stay up b) Bible study #s stay up c) return visit #s stay up.

When the six-month Knowledge book program was originally brought in, it was obviously an attempt by the Society to replicate the kind of growth they enjoyed when the Truth book was going over big in the 1960's and 1970's. Now, I'm guessing that they don't feel any such burst in growth is imminent, so they're going back to a "long-term strategy."

2) This is more general, but can anyone remember a time when the obsessive mantra of "dress, grooming and entertainment" WASN'T a central focus at the circuit assembly/special assembly day? When I was younger, I thought there were more parts on effective field service presentations and stuff like that, instead of "Satan's going to work his way into your life through debasing music!!!!"

Finally, here are some direct quotes from talks and experiences on the program that I found "interesting":

"Scriptures that I read casually at one time now take on an entirely new meaning."

"If Jehovah wants us to prepare for our meetings, it must be for our benefit."

"We're sure that none here would want to stay in Grade One of Bible understanding."

"If you walk the line between good and bad, you'll get spiritual hoof-and-mouth disease and the other brothers will cut you off."

comment

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I'm glad that you enjoy the assembly

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey comment

I believe it was last spring they adjusted the time permitted to study with a new one. The KM listed several circumstances where studying longer than the 6 months would be appropriate.

You are right that this was a complete flip flop from the not to distant past decision to cut off studies who weren't progressing at six months.

"If Jehovah wants us to prepare for our meetings, it must be for our benefit."

This is one thing that has always bothered me. The substituting "Jehovah" for "the Organization". I remember when the pioneer hours were reduced, the KM quoted one sister as saying "What a blessed gift from our heavenly father" as if Jehovah somehow was reducing the hourly requirement.

It's no wonder so many feel people who leave turn their backs on Jehovah when in reality that is not the case at all.

Path

• Englishman
    Englishman

Comment,

I remember, when I was but a wee laddie, studying 2 books, Let God be true and This means everlasting life.

One was blue one was red, the blue one stopped me watching The Beverley Hillbillies, the red one put paid to Z cars.

Englishman

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

comment,

Guess what? It's changed again!!! I guess the speed of light is too much for those who prepare the SAD program because it's outa date already!

April KM recommends using THREE publications to "Help More to Become Unbaptized Publishers".

1. Require brochure

2. Knowledge book

3. Any one of:
    God's Word book
    True Peace book
    United in Worship book

I wonder how the publishers will go trying to explain the many changes in the 'True Peace' and 'United in Worship' books! Will they be dazzled?

BTW the change to the six month study program was discussed in a KM with the usual expression "It does not seem necessary...." You know the rest. It was all the fault of the R&F as usual when there's a change to a more reasonable position.

Cheers,

Ozzie

• comment
    comment

ozziepost: I don't see why they have to go through the whole "It does not seem necessary...some may have felt...however, mature Christians realize..." routine when it's NOT EVEN a matter of changing the interpretation of a particular Biblical doctrine. Offering a particular book or brochure door-to-door is not something that's divinely mandated. They could just say, "In response to the changing conditions we encounter in our field ministry, it now seems wise to prolong studies, giving sheeplike ones an extra opportunity to embrace the prospect of eternal life." I mean, you know they're not going to say "We changed our mind" or "The other way wasn't working as well as we thought it would," but at least "It now seems wise" wouldn't leave the brothers sitting there going to themselves, "Boy, what a dummy I was to be trying to get people through the Knowledge book in six months!"

Also, your point about all the changes in the United in Worship book is well-taken. As a Witness, you can go to the book study and feel very sharp when the conductor asks a question based on an old understanding and lets everyone know that "we've received new light on this," and you know what it is. But I don't see that an interested one is going to be very impressed or reassured by the fact that a book published in 1983 is now out-of-date and teaching things that are considered false--NOT because there's been some amazing leap forward in Bible research, but just because the same old words are being taken a different way now.

comment

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I suspect that someone in Bethel discovered a stack of old publications,
    and realized that there was no way to get rid of them under the new (old)
    policy.

Actually, this is yet another example of WTS inconsistencies. I'm not sure if
    this was local, or if it was official policy, but does anyone remember the
    prohibition on saying "John the Baptist". For several years, they used the
    phrase "John the Baptiser". Then, apparently someone realized how patently
    stupid they were being, and simply started putting it back in.

Another example was the phrase "Jehovah's plan". It was explained that with Jehovah,
    everything is absolute. He never "plans", because that implies uncertainty. They used
    the word "purpose". That change, too, has simply gone away.

My guess is that the one-publication study schedule was unworkable in the absence
    of throngs of willing studies, so it was just quietly forgotten.

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Path,

I foretold for years(ooohhh maybe I'm a prophet like MDS & don't know it) that the WT would have to reduce the regular pioneer hourly requirement or there would be no pioneers left after awhile. I remember hearing about them finally making the change last year (maybe the previous) but don't remember what it was changed to. Help me out?

Thanks, Shauna

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello ShaunaC,

concernin the pioneers hours , now
    the setting is as follows:
    *auxil. pion. .........50 hours/month
    *reg. pion. .........70 hours/month

This change was made in order " ..to allow
    more brothers and sisters to share in the
    privilege".-

Should you need other details, please
    let me know, Agape J.C.MacHislopp

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Thanks J.C. for the info. Sure wish I had that arrangement when I was busting my ass to pioneer. I remember all to well those days of getting up at 6:00 a.m. to start by 7:00. Meet up with the group at 9:00. Work through lunch. Meet at 1:00. Continue till we met up again at 6:00 pm. And go till 9:00 at night! ALl of that in the midst of summer with 110 degree weather!!!

I'm just thankful that despite all that time, I don't have to live with the guilt of ever bringing anyone into the WT. Whew!

Thanks again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit