CO's and DO's meeting in the UK

by Jim Dee 38 Replies latest jw friends

• david_10
    david_10

It seems that I've been hearing quite a bit lately about the Society's concern over wasted materials, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out why they are so worried. I wonder if they aren't just saying that for the sake of appearances. Maybe I'm really missing something that should be obvious, but this is how I have it figured : The WTBS is a publishing corporation and they make their money by selling books and magazines primarily to the congregations and publishers. Why does the Society care whether the magazines are re-sold to the public or if they are used to wrap fish and go in the trash. Either way, they get paid, and it seems to me that they they would just want to sell books and magazines regardless of where they wind up. Just my thought-----maybe someone could clarify.

David

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

Dave, the magazines are no more sold. they are given free to interested people, also books and bibles.

But donations get less and less and less as people have less and less in the cash.

the selling via publishers - that is history.

and the old good donating fellows are disappearing by age and death. the youngsters dont like to pay because they have a meal at McDonals etc.

htats the way life is

• caspian
    caspian

To og

I have re-read most of Jim Dees posts, and up to now, speaking as an English Elder most of what he says is credible.

With regard to this meeting for the travelling overseers, I too was sceptical about the content, however I have been talking to my own CO over the last weekend, and he intimates that there is a lot to discuss at the supplementries in October over and above the normal review.

I do believe that it is possible to cause mischief on this site, however in Jim Dees case I understand the need for extreme caution in revealing certain facts. I do feel that it is unfair to expect people to produce hard evidence every time they post sensitive information on this site.

I feel that Jim Dee posts such info for everyones benefit, and also in the hope that other brothers in similar situations can verify and add to the post

Keep up the posting Jim and feel free to email me some time.

Regards

Caspian

• david_10
    david_10

Thanks, Klaus, for the thoughts and input, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. I'm aware of the fact that the Society went to a donation arrangement over 10 years ago, but the the terms "donation" and "sales" and "placements" are used loosely and interchangeably. The Society insists on the term "donation" because it maximizes their tax loopholes, but I see it as a distinction without a difference. No matter what happens to the magazines, Brooklyn expects the R & F to pay for them. If "donations" run low, the congregation will eventually get a bill and the brothers are going to have to pay up and the Society gets paid. No matter what. So that gets me back to the original query : Why is the Society expressing concern about unplaced literature? I honestly think that the Society doesn't care whether the literature is placed to the public or if some burdened down witness finally has to start sneaking the piles of stacked-up literature to the trash. They SAY that they're concerned about waste so as to further plant the notion in the R & F that the literature is something precious and valuable and priceless so that they get them out in service more and get the publisher and hour count jacked up. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

David

• minimus
    minimus

Jim Dees, Thanks for your information. Geesh, why do people have to be lableled as a troll just because they don't meet everyones expectations?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

david_10: I believe the problem is that the society is, in fact, not getting paid for the magazines. In my congregation, the society's remittance has dropped from around $500 per month to around $75 per month. The public doesn't contribute, and dubs are naturally cheap (or poor). Neighboring congregations report the same thing.

I was accounts servant for a couple years, and audited the books for a couple years. I'm not aware of any bills from the Society for several years, although it is not inconceivable.

If they are not being paid proportionately to the quantity, then their next best option is to eliminate waste.

• blondie
    blondie

Each publisher tells magazine servant required number of magazines.

Magazine servant orders total number for congregation from WTS.

WTS mails (?) to presiding overseer (or designated elder).

Magazine servant gives requested number of magazines to publisher.

Publisher may or may not contribute anonymously to congregation contribution box.

Publisher may or may not ask for donation to "worldwide preaching work" when offering magazines (most do not). Any money "donated" is supposed to be put in the contribution box.

Previously, congregation was charged for the total number of magazines shipped. When magazines were given to publisher, publisher gave corresponding money to magazine servant. Whether the publisher asked and/or received money for the magazines in the field or whether they were placed or sat on the shelf at home, the WTS was guaranteed their money. Money was sent monthly to the WTS. So the WTS had an almost guaranteed monthly flow of income.

So I'm sure the WTS is hurting financially. After training a large group of people not to care for those in the congregation financially let alone those in need outside the congregation, it is boomeranging on them. I'm sure the article that said the WTS is worth $951,000,000 will be educational.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    Geesh, why do people have to be lableled as a troll just because they don't meet everyones expectations?

Kinda like when the Watchtower labels EVERYONE who leaves an APOSTATE.

• david_10
    david_10

Hello Running Man. Perhaps the word "bill' is not quite accurate. Maybe "reminder" or "request" would be more appropriate. What you say makes a lot of sense, because, in this area, my always reliable sources have told me that the last two circut overseer visits have included some pretty harsh tirades that the brothers aren't supporting the kingdom work and paying for their share of the literature. However, as I'm informed, when the guilt is troweled on thick enough, the brothers always come through and cough it up. But that may not be the case in other areas. Wouldn't that be great? Nothing brings a big corporation down like interrupted cash flow.

I also was the account servant for many years, although this preceded the donation arrangement; and what Blondie says pretty much describes the the old way of doing it. It was extremely efficient. They expected their money in full and on-time every month, no if's and's or but's, and I was always a little puzzled that the Society rather resembled the IRS with all of their rules and often ruthless collection tactics. However, I never put it all together and recognized it for what it actually was : that is, pure unmitigated greed. But again, like Blondie says, maybe the boomerang effect is catching up with them.

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit