movies to make them think

by showme 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I just saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". It was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, I really enjoyed it.

It made me think about how JW's are becoming a sort of ethnic subculture, with so many of them having large extended families all in the troof, and very few coming in from non-JW families. JW's in some ways reminded me of the Greek family in the movie. If JW's would drop the bizarre and cruel aspects of the religion (shunning, blood) they could be almost legitimate. But their past is so screwy, it is going to be a while, and with the current regime in control at Brooklyn, thinks ain't changing anytime soon.

I really think this is the future of the JW religion, they will become more like an ethnic subculture as they will inevitably be forced to drop the cruel and unusual aspects of the religion.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

How about:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (remake 1978) with Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams and Jeff Goldblum.

In the movie, we are invaded by pods who take control of people by spitting out exact replicas except that the replicas all think and act the same. The pod people, who look like typical fine upstanding people, search out rebels who refuse to conform to what is now being defined as "reality". The mob hysteria, the sense of paranoia, the witch hunt mentality and the demand for conformity atmosphere certainly mirrors Jehovah's Witnesses of 2002.

Joe Bob says check it out.

• heathen
    heathen

how about , weekend at bernies

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you could get them to watch it, "the Big Kahuna" would be excellent. I was right at the cusp of my exit when I saw it, but it sure made me think. It's a great movie besides.

Unlike two of the most famous American works about salesmen, Death of a Salesman and Glengarry Glen Ross, The Big Kahuna is not a scathing indictment of big business or the American work ethic, nor do the characters ultimately reveal the emptiness of their souls. Instead, the men in The Big Kahuna show more and more depth, insight and humanity as the film unfolds. Says writer Rueff, "The Big Kahuna is not really about selling or the American dream. Those aspects simply provide background for the central
    themes of the film - the conflicts and differences between character and principles; the meaning of loyalty with regard to ideas and people; and the questions of what it means to be honest and human."

Rueff, who has seen the project evolve from an evening in a Kansas hotel room to the big screen, is thrilled with the final result. He hopes that audiences take from the film "a sense of the complexity of the questions that surround issues of integrity and character in everyday life. I want them to question the meaning of honesty in their own lives, as well as what it means to be 'human' and to feel that they have witnessed the playing out of a fundamental idea - that is, each person's concept of deity strongly affects his or her actions each moment of his or her life, and that the web of those concepts lies hidden beneath our interactions with each other. It is only when something we deem to be important is at stake that the concepts show themselves and come to the fore.

Edited by - SixofNine on 28 September 2002 0:53:4

Edited by - SixofNine on 28 September 2002 1:24:52

• larc
    larc

Six,

Like you, I thought the Big Kahuna was a great movie. After I saw it on HBO, I urged my wife to watch it. She loved it too. I think it is a classic.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

While still an active witness, I found The Matrix and Pink Floyd's The Wall to be disturbing on a level that I didn't understand at the time.My daughter was also affected by the Matrix.I like The Scarlett Letter a lot, too, but the book explains it a lot better than the movie.

Stepford Wives comes to mind also.

Another thing that really made us think was the song by Creed entitled "What If".But most Witnesses won't listen to them, because they say they are a religious band, due to the religious symbolism in some of the songs. My daughter used to carry around an article from a magazine in which they stated that they were NOT a religious band:)

• showme
    showme

Scott Stapp, the singer from "Creed" is definatley a Christian. That band gets alot of crap for it. But I think thier great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit