Targeting recruitment of deaf people?

by Simon 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

Blimey, that's a lot of alsos, lol!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just wondered, do people who sign ever get stuck for words or tongue-tied?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

if we don't know the sign for a word we spell it and if there is a sign for it someone shows us

and yes we get "finger-tied"

• Simon
    Simon

I used to be fascinated by the signing at the assembly (esp. if it was an attractive sister of course, lol) When the BBC shows signed re-runs of programs I still watch them.

There was a deaf, dumb and blind sister in my cousin's hall and I did learn to do hand-signing where you talk by doing letters on someone's hand (a long time ago).

I can't help but think that the JWs are taking advantage and plan on getting someone 'vulnerable' (because they don't get approached / attention like that so often) involved and from there, get family involved as per their usual MO.

• TheStar
    TheStar
    they asked if anyone in the household used sign language or if we knew of anyone who did because they were 'forming a congregation' for them.

Simon,

This is the exact approach used in Houston, Texas by the ASL group. There was always talk about how "Jehovah was focusing on the deaf". Makes me sick to think about now.

Interesting side-point, I don't remember whether she was wearing a head-covering...

Fatal,

The answer I got when I questioned that was that the sister doesn't have to because she is only interpreting or translating what a brother is saying and not actually the one giving the talk.

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

TheStar (Hiya )

Not knowing sign language, I couldn't help but think that she often "improvised", (some of the signing and mouthing were very amusing), and I thought that would qualify as teaching, since she is departing from wehat the brother is saying. I'll harass one of my elders about that one

• Jang
    Jang

Simon, they have been doing this for over 15 years now. I started to learn Sign Language in 1984 for this reason and in 1988 had the deaf at a local church help in making a couple of videos to get the message out to theose targeted by deaf JW's here .... We had the little window with translation etc ... Cost a fortune but was worth it ..... that was the Conference that Randy Watters and his gang came to ......

It was because I took the time to learn sign that I was also invited to the secular deaf organizations around Australia to talk about cults etc and especially ones that would take advantage of their lack of bible knowledge ..... stopped many from joining

Now you know what I do when I have nothing else to do

• razorMind
    razorMind

Aaaahh.....now I see why the JW's who kept hounding my mother- and brother-in-law were so persistent. We thought we' d have to end up calling the cops on them--they refused to take no for an answer.

Actually, once my bro-in-law learned that they didn't celebrate Christmas, he refused to listen to anything they had to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit