Targeting recruitment of deaf people?

by Simon 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

"Theocratic Sign Language" LOL

I might give them some Theocratic Sign Language if they come round asking if I'm deaf again!!!

Edited by - ballistic on 22 September 2002 12:17:4

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

These women were most likely "interpreters" who sign at the meetings for deaf and when the go out in service they do "deaf territory". That means either they are actually conducting studies with deaf bible studies, or going on return visits from leads from other deaf, or they will even look for signs on the streets that say "caution, deaf child" , then try to find a deaf family in that area. I used to be very involved with the deaf in our congregation, and was the American Sign Language classes were taught in my home. We also had a deaf book study in our home for years, and there was an elder and some pioneers who learned sign langquage and the bookstudy was conducted in sign lanquage. We even had Bethelites come and teach. But yes, those women were not very informative to you as to what they were doing or from what organization they represented so they were definitely Witnesses doing deaf territory.

Edited by - Simon on 22 September 2002 13:47:41

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

OOPS, how did my paragraph get messed up?

• blondie
    blondie

"theocratic sign language" actually is ASL as a base. Just like there is a so-called "pure language" at the KH, there are terms in the JW vocabulary that don't always have an equivalent in basic ASL. Sometimes the signs are based on theological concepts that the WTS does not support so adjustments are made.

ASL is really another foreign language. It is not a word by word rendition of English but phrases and concepts are signed. It is quite exciting to learn and make a breakthrough to people. Many deaf clubs encourage the hearing to come and learn from them and to socialize with them. I have seen people who are hearing but cannot vocalize well (cerebral palsy, e.g.) come and learn and be so happy to quickly communicate their thoughts and feelings in sign.

The WTS has ignored this population for a long time because in the 70's and 80's so many were coming in. JWs were mostly whites in the beginning and stayed that way for a long time because they only preached to people who looked like themselves.

As to the deaf that gravitate to the JWs, don't judge the deaf community at large by them. Many are well-educated and hold responsible jobs, having happy families. Because so few people know sign and many hearing people have little social contact with the deaf, the deaf tend to be isolated. It is amazing to me how many people think deaf equals retarded.

Even learning to fingerspell is a start.

http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/cedir/kidsweb/amachart.html

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I lived in Montreal and was signing I knew the people who make the telephone directory had a

special directory just for the deaf - probably abouyt the size of the paperback release handed out this

summer at the DC.

Way back then our cong (which included the deaf section) was out looking for other deaf people and

the deaf JWs and interpresters (one of each) would go looking for the deaf. It is very possible that one

of the people at your door was an interpreter and the other was deaf - doing service time.

Our approach was for the hearing person to ask if there were any people in the house who used sign

language. If the answer was yes then the deaf person would take over once the deaf person came to

the door.

The deaf JWs would also have a card with a witnessing message on it to show the people at the door if

it was only deaf people going door to door and they found hearing people

Umm and yes I have done this myself - that is how I know and I suspect the MO hasn't changed a lot.

Edited by - Lady Lee on 22 September 2002 13:2:7

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

blondie you comments are right on

I met a deaf man who is one of the designers for the space shuttle's Cnanda Arm

Most of my deaf friends were responsible hard working folks with jobs and families.

I agree with the concept of renaming ASL to TSL (although I think it is dumb) Signs for "spirit" in ASL

denote a soul that leaves the body which would not be acceptable so they have their own sign. When

the "soul" meaning "body" (TM) they have adapted this to resemble the sign for body (at least in the

Montreal area).

And just like the "pure language"(TM) causes confusion and separation when dealing with the world

"TSL" does the exact same thing

Edited by - Lady Lee on 22 September 2002 13:1:11

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for your experience, Lady Lee. I learned ASL with a view to using it at work. We have many clients who are deaf or hearing-impaired. It has been an asset and has opened new job opportunities as well as a new source of friends.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Using my special mental powers, I was able to eavesdrop on this conversation at Bethel HQ:

Boss Jarass: Jesus H. Flogme Christ!

The media is killin' us out there!

It's killin' us!

What are we gonna do about it?

GB member X: We need to find people the media hasn't got to!

Boss Jarass: Yeah! Good! Gimmee more...

GB member Y: Well, people in poor countries who can't afford radios and TVs...

Boss Jarass: Good! You're on a roll! More! More!

GB member X: Uhhh... how about blind and deaf people?

Boss Jarass: Brother X, you are SO on target!

You'll get an extra slice of bread tonight, this day I promise you.

C'mon, guys, you're not gonna make X do all the work here, are you!

Think - you weasly bastards! THINK!

GB member Z: What about people in comas?

We could baptize them too, if they don't drown.

Boss Jarass: GOOD!... GOOD!

I like it...

we've already got the HLCs in place...

we can get that information quickly!

Mini-Franz, perpare a new light article on baptizing coma patients... and start to tease them with a date again...

God, I love it when a plan comes together!

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 22 September 2002 13:23:34

• Simon
    Simon

What people have described would make sense and explains why they called on us when the regular local yokel witnesses bypass us (heaven only know's why, lol)

I just wish I'd answered the door

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

To back up what searcher said, I was also at the Boston Meeting which the Bethel brother gave. Also, last week's sunday meeting at the same cong was also given in sign language. (by a very pretty sister which made it even harder to concentrate ) Interesting side-point, I don't remember whether she was wearing a head-covering...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit