Day four for Jan (Zazu)

by larc 18 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

I tryed to post yesterday, but I had reached my thread limit, so here is what we have learned since Thursday.

Jan is diabetic. She always feared this, since it runs in her family, and she has tried to be careful with her diet. Her younger sister was diabetic from an early age, abused herself diet wise, and sadly, she died two years ago.

Today, she got a breakfast and lunch that did not fit the dietary plan. I had to go to the nurses station in the afternoon to get the computer file updated. Dinner was also the wrong meal. Fortunately, a nurse finally got the thing straigtened out.

Jan is making progress, but it is slow. Her left side is weak. She can move her left arm at the shoulder and elbow. She can move her fingers, but when she grabs something, she has trouble releasing it. She can walk with some help, but when she is sitting she has trouble getting her left leg to do what she wants.

Yesterday, the nurse told us that she had a crying spell early in the morning. When my oldest daughter and I were with her, she had another one, and said, "I am so scared." We, of course, tryed to reassure her, and I think we helped. Today, she seemed to be in good spirits through our entire visit.

Yesterday, the whole family showed up, eight of us. Even though there are only supposed to be 2 visitors at a time, they let the whole tribe in. The most touching moment was when my grand daughter got in bed with Jan to comfort her. Later my grand daughter played a tune on the violin. She has only had three lessons, but loves it practices a lot, and did a very well indeed.

Today, my son got a good idea. He asked the nurse if we could get a wheel chair and take Jan outside. We took her to an outside balcony on her floor that over looks the city. She loved being out in the fresh air and sunshine.

For those that called and sent flowers, thank you so very, very much. That means a lot to both of us. By Monday, she should be getting cards. That will be another boost for her.

Jan was concerned about the quality of care she is getting. I did a search this evening and found out that out of 205 major hospitals, our hospital is in the top 20% in neourology. I think that will be a comfort to her, when I tell her tomorrow.

Folks have asked how I am doing. I was very upset and concerned the first day. I have felt better thereafter. I think Jan's attitude and the quality of care she is getting are very postive for a good out come. I did not eat in three days and finally ate this afternoon. I am getting enough sleep, but I am very tired at the end of the day.

Thanks again, for all your expressions of concern. My son-in-law is going to print them out tomorrow so Jan can read your many kind comments.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Big ****HUGS***** for you Larc.....and give some to Jan for me, too. When I spoke with her the other night, her words sounded much clearer than I expected. The crying spells are par for the course after a stroke.

She's a strong lady, and I know she'll do well. Tell her not to expect too much too soon. From what you've described, it sounds as if she'll soon be chasing you around the house.

Card is on the way, and hopefully I'll get a chance to call again this weekend.

You take care of yourself, too. She needs you to be in good shape. ****HUGS****

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi Carl. I mailed a card today.

Tell her we are with her in our thoughts.
    Marilyn

• larc
    larc

Red and Mulan,

Thank you for your kind words and your support.

I have to tell you something. I have not called my own sister or Jan's much younger sister yet. I will eventually, but they are really not family to me anymore. I will get around to it, and I know that they will be very nurturing, but after the August Kingdom Ministry, I do not feel in a real good mood regarding those folks.

My family is here, not there.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

What a great guy you are. Over the years I've known way to many men (and women also) that wouldn't spend that much time or give as much attention to their spouse as you are. It warms my heart and restores my faith in mankind. Realy.

I hope everything works out and Jan gets better real soon. I understand the affecta of diebetis, it runs in my family.

(((((hugs)))))

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Larc,

I'm glad Zazu is in a good place and that she is progressing.

I hope the nurses give you info on strokes and what to expect with right-sided brain strokes. There will be personality differences besides the physical things that Jan will be dealing with.

Please e-mail me Jan's addy either at the hospital or home so I can send a card.

Hugs to you and your family. You sure do have great support right around you with your immediate family.

Hugs,

j2bf

• larc
    larc

Joy,

Jan is left handed and that is a good thing. I read years ago in Pschological Bulletin that left handed people recover quicker from brain damage than right handed people. The reason is, that their brain functioning is more diffuse and less localized. There is damage on both sides of the brain, according to Jan's account from the feed back she got from the doctor.

Hey, Jan is a strong woman. She has to be to put up with a guy like me. I think her prognosis is favorable.

Well, think about this, both of us are first born (independent). Both of us are left handed (Contrarian). Both of us are intelligent (differences of opinion, very often). How we survived all these years of marriage, I will never know. I think the only reason that we never got a divorce during the bad times, is that we both procrastinate. Hey, it worked for us. I remember awhile back, my wife said, I am glad we never got a divorce. Well, I am glad as well.

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((((((((larc & gigi)))))))

I'll be sending a card. It will probably get there in about 2 weeks, but next time you see Zazu, give her a hug from me and tell her I love her.

• larc
    larc

Prisca,

Hey birthday girl, you know that we both love you as well.

If your card gets here after Jan leaves the hospital, I am sure they will forward it to us. I know that Jan will be happy to get your card.

You know, being here has been both a blessing and a curse. The blessings are here for us here for the two of us right now, and I so much appreciate them. I know the support that Jan is receiving will help her in her recovery.

As I mentioned somewhere in another thread, Jan has never been the center of attention. Well, it is her turn. She has been so nurturing to her children and so supportive of my career, well, it is her turn for nurturing and support, and she will get all of that from me and my children.

Thank you dear Prisca, for you kind words. You are a good person.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I am glad to read that today, was a little better. The family visit sounded heartwarming.

Lots of good vibes being send your way.

Take care ((((((((Larc and Jan)))))))))

Viv.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit