A question of race

by teejay 53 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay
    I once read something very interesting. If you ask a man, a white man, in front
    of a mirror: "What do you see." He will more than likey say, "a man." If you
    ask a black man in front of a mirror the same question: "What do you see." He
    will more than likey say, "a black man."

Prisila,

Interesting experiment. I can see it being true. If it is, I am with you in asking: Why is that?
    =====================

My ex-wife, who is black, always saw race in any situation that didn't go her way.
    Whites and blacks have a totally different worldwiew. If I'm in a department store and
    a salesperson comes up to me while I'm browsing, I think it's great that I got such
    good service, but my wife would come home and relate the same situation and
    complain bitterly that the salesperson thought she was giong to steal something so
    that's why she came over and asked her if she needed help. Same situation, different
    reaction.
    Now *THAT* is exactly what I was talking about, Finnrot! Thanks for your post.

I didn't start this thread to question whether or not there was racism, sexism, status-ism (?). Of course all those isms exist. What I was merely highlighting here is a small (but really not small, once you think about it) mental impediment that Blacks are universally plagued with that is foreign (unknown) to Whites.

Personally, I work to see reasons other than racism for the negative ways I'm occasionally treated. Race isn't always the reason--most times it's *never* the reason--and crying "RACE" is a cop-out that is used waaay too often, imo. Still, the idea is there in the quiet corners of my mind: that I'm being treated this way because of my skin color. And it's an idea that isn't in the mind of most (any?) White folks. That's all I was saying.

As you say, you see being stopped by the cops, being approached by a store clerk for assistance, being treated shitty by others as simple innocuous human interactions. Blacks, even open-minded Blacks like me, harbor at least SOME feeling that race is partly the cause.

I don't think I can help it. As I asked Prisila above: Why is that? I don't have an answer.
    =====================

I find that the more conscious I am of my small stature, the more sensitive I am to
    this sort of thing. I am much happier when I forget about my lack of stature, or my
    mediocre looks...

Along the same lines, I think the more conscious a black person is of their blackness,
    the more they are going to see the deck as being stacked against them and every real
    or imagined slight will have racist underpinnings to them.

Dantheman,

Interesting comments. Interesting because they suggest that the reason I think the way I do is because of some insecurity on my part. I know you didn't actually say that but that's the way I read it. Could *that* be the reason I think of my skin color when in certain situations? Could be.
    =====================

So Blacks can be just as racially hateful as Whites who still hold those feelings.
    Sableindian,

There's no doubt whatsoever that Blacks can be (and sometimes ARE) as racist as anyone, even in their view and comments toward their own kind. (I've known Blacks like that Herd you spoke of--people who have nothing but judgment and hate for anyone living a life they don't approve of. Truly sad individuals.)

You make a good point. If I were to run across a Herd who treated me negatively, I probably wouldn't see him as a racist since we'd both be Black. I'd just probably say that he's a jerk. Maybe it's the race of the person I'm dealing with that conjures up those thoughts in me that race is the reason.

If a White person has a bad interaction with a Black person, do they think "race"? Six?
    =====================

although I know for a fact that racism is, unfortunately, alive and well, I doubt if those people
    dis you because you're black. I'm thinking that they're miserable because their place of
    employment sucks. If it was because of race I think you would be sure about it and would
    have picked up on it sooner.
    Siegswife

Excellent point. My original post may have been misunderstood. It wasn't really a commentary on racism but that at times I can't help THINKING that I'm treated a certain way because of MY skin color. I guess what I'm saying is that the problem probably lies somewhere in ME.
    =====================

What a coincidence! You make this post, and I just see the new UPS commercial: UPS drivers
    of all races, and customers of all races, so happy to see each other... The last scene is a black
    delivery driver squating down to hug two little white girls greeting him at the door as their
    mom smiles approvingly.
    *shaking head* @ Six.

Yeah, Sixo... I've seen that stupid commercial, too. Made me want to puke. Especially the last scene you mention. I mean... come on!! How bogus can an ad be?? Give me a physical break!
    =====================

Thanks for your poignant recollections, Swan.

Sad that you have such a memory from so long ago still fresh in your mind. Doubly sad what happened to Raymond at the hands of one who should have been his caretaker.

I like how you put it:

The problem was, I only suspected. I didn't know for sure. I still don't know absolutely. It
    wasn't overt. There were no racial slurs or anything other than my own gut feelings about
    what the real motives here were. That's the problem with prejudice. Sometimes it is overt, but
    most of the time it isn't, so how can you be sure. You can't. You just always have your doubts,
    suspicions, and hunches.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

It's the hunch, the doubt, that lurks in the minds of Blacks at certain times... a doubt that I don't think ever comes up in the minds of Whites. That's all I was saying.

• Pete2
    Pete2

Hey TeeJay -- long time, no type!

My tuppence: Yes, it may very well be that the people you mention are racists (although they might not see themselves as such). Where there is power and fear -- there can be suspicion, hatred and cruelty.

But there can be wisdom in not making assumptions about minor unpleasantries. Their behavior speaks volumes about who they are -- some people are JERKS! If their behavior doesn't reach the level of you having a good chance at a lawsuit -- why spin your wheels. We live in an unfair world. Don't sweat the small stuff. Instead, love your family and love your friends in a big way!

And as a wise woman once told me: "It's not what they call you -- it's what you answer to."

Big hugs guy!
    Pete

• teejay
    teejay
    Your comment is noted. But I am thinking about the 20/20 expose of racism. The undercover
    operation at a car dealership, jewelry store and apartment building.

Blacks AND Whites treated Blacks differently than Whites ... it is a must see for people who
    think that Blacks are not 'dissed' for their skin color.

Sableindian (or is it "Q"?),

Thanks for reminding me of that 20/20 episode. Other programs have done the same experiment with the exact same results. DWB (driving while Black) and the difficulties Blacks have in haling cabs in big cities are a couple other experiences that minorities have alleged (proven?).

Sometimes I guess it *ain't* just some groundless feeling *in me*. Sometimes there's good reason to feel like I feel. The question is: When?

• Xena
    Xena

Hey teejay,

Interesting thread! I think I can relate to your feelings in a very small way. As a women sometimes I wonder if I am being treated a certain way due to my gender.

When a customer would rather deal with a man....when a male poster ignores me or calls me an airhead ....when an mechanic (or a man in some type of traditional MANLY job) speaks to me in a condenceding manner....I can't help but wonder...is it me, them or my gender that elicits this respose from them???? lol and no doubt sometimes it IS me...and sometimes just THEM and every now and then it is because of my gender....

Makes me angry sometimes but for the most part I tend to take it with a grain of salt. Fortunately at this juncture in my life I have attained a level of self confidence that jerks like this can't dent I get the feeling you have too!

• Monster
    Monster

Hey Teejay,

Great topic

I understand where you are coming from, when it comes to the issues of the color of the skin. I was raised right behind the hood. I ran in the hood we (a/Americans) believed in many stereotypes about whites; just as they believed all the bull they heard on the news about us.

Prisila Said: I once read something very interesting. If you ask a man, a white man, in front of a mirror: "What do you see." He will more than likey say, "a man." If you ask a black man in front of a mirror the same question: "What do you see." He will more than likey say, "a black man."

Why is that? I did the experiment, and it is true.

That's a good point she brings out. We have to keep in mind that most of the history of blacks in western worlds has been about the color of the skin. My granddad told me when he came back from ww2 he couldn't get a room because all white folks could see was the color of his skin not the uniform. He believed when he came back from the war whites would at last accept blacks; to his surprised they still hated them. That's one of the reasons why some blacks see the "Blackman" in the mirror instead of just a man. At the same time, many of the negative stereotypes about blacks today are placed on us from other blacks, not whites. I can't count the times I stood listening to other blacks give a 101 reasons why they hated being black or hated other blacks. I found it a bit strange because if whites used those same excuses for hating blacks they would be called racists advised to educate themselves and not look at the color of the skin. Double standard.

We are going through what's known as the color profile The darker the skin the less we admire each other. The lighter the skin the more were liked; if you are mixed that's a big plus. Look at our black music videos; the majority of the sexy females they use are light skin and mixed females. Very seldom do we see a sexy dark skin female on the screens; they are usually playing the roles of a sidekick of the "prettier" light skin females. It's just the way we view ourselves.

Personally I am a dog I love all females J

It doesn't surprise me that your friend John will think they are just having a bad day, and you think it's the color of the skin. Until we can come to grips with many race issues we will always think first I'm being treated bad because I'm black. But don't get me wrong there are times when it is just because our colors. 80% of the time when I am driving and being pulled over by cops they want to check my car for "drugs" I can't be a Blackman with a nice car unless in their minds, I am dealing drugs,I know this because some of them have said, to me. "Why are you in on this side of town what are you trying to sell?" " Where did you get the money from to buy this car?" " What gang are you in?" I am 29yrs old and they think I'm in a gang.

A big lesson I learned when I joined the military was; people are the same no matter where you are; the color of the skin don't make a damn bit of differences.

Some people will like you others will not. Personally I dont care if someone doesn't like me; I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I would just go in there take care of business and step. Don't even worry about them just handle your business brotha. J

Peace James.

Edited by - Monster on 21 September 2002 16:33:8

• Englishman
    Englishman

Strange, isn't it, weeks go by sometimes without me even seeing someone who is black. On the other hand we have a massive Greek and Asian population in this part of England. I only say this because this afternoon, when I popped in the pub for a quicky, there was a black chap having a beer in there. He must have been only the second or third black guy that I have ever seen in the pub in the last 15 years or so.

What's troubling me now is that I was tempted to say hello to him but didn't want him to get the idea that he was being patronised by me, so I didn't say anything. I guess that was some sort of reverse thinking on my part because I have always abhorred race predjudice.

Not one of my finest moments, that's for sure.

Englishman.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Actually Englishmen - you kinda made my thought - I have a "reverse" reaction when seeing someone of different color, and that is that the other person will PRESUME I am racist. I don't believe myself to be racist towards anyone but a**holes, but I'm sure all have some preconceived subliminal thought processes that we are unaware of. I have an inter-racial family and for the most part I get along well with all the members of the family, white, black, spanish (i'm american indian). But there is one bro-in-law who makes me VERY uncomfortable, because I constantly feel he's trying to "trip me up" and show me to be the white racist he feels I and all whites are.

Teejay - there are b*tches in the world (presuming you are delivering to businesses & the receptionist) who are extremely rude, unpleasant, miserable people (believe me - I've been contemplating getting rid of ours for months). I'm sure there hasn't been a person who walked through our door who didn't wonder what her problem was. To constantly have a nagging doubt on what that negativity is based on - what a lot of emotional garbage you don't need. I say give um the finger (in secret :) ) - go on with your day and forgettaboutit! I believe that our society as a whole is learning to work together. Perhaps not our generation, but in generations to follow, there will be change. Its leaning that way. Its gotta - or the "whities" are in trouble, as they are quickly becoming a minority!

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I have a "reverse" reaction when seeing someone of different color, and that is that the other person will PRESUME I am racist. I

So, is it possible that people are actually being unduly curt because they don't want to be thought of as being patronising?

Seems a bit rough on Teejay though. Boy does he make me smile sometimes!

Englishman.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    Teejay - there are b*tches in the world (presuming you are delivering to businesses & the receptionist) who are extremely rude, unpleasant, miserable people (believe me - I've been contemplating getting rid of ours for months). I'm sure there hasn't been a person who walked through our door who didn't wonder what her problem was.

My thoughts exactly. (no I wasn't talking about your bitch specifically, pettygrudger) There's just way too many people who are just basically unhappy and determined to make everyone else feel bad as well. How many customer complaints have you ever seen in which the word rude was not mentioned?

A friend of mine used to respond to black customers who would say or imply he was racist, "I'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody!". While he was kidding, it is a good point. Some folks are really that way. They really do dislike everyone immediately and it takes an act of Congress to change how they feel.

Don't let it get you down, TeeJay. Give them a smile every day and walk out the door knowing that you probably make more money that they do. Hey that may be why they're so ugly to you.

I heard you FedEx guys write a check and the bank bounces.

Col. Bendrr, [classified]

Hmm, that's a good sig line. "I'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody!"

• COMF
    COMF
    A simple question... true... but one White folks never have to ask.

That settles it. Now I'm going to have to tell the story of the Vietnamese wedding.

No time tonight (hot date, just killing time on here waiting for her to show) but I have considered telling that story several times, just haven't because it'll take a deal of telling. Stay tuned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit