Carbon Dating

by Wolfgirl 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cellomould
    cellomould

Hoob,

You are trying to open a can of worms...If the C14/C12 ratio were many orders of magnitude (factors of 10) smaller in the past, what made it increase? What we do know is that this ratio has been relatively stable...we know that it has not experienced sudden increases because we measure samples in different strata and see a linear (not exponential) continuum of ratios.

I repeat Crazy's question: Do you believe the earth to be only 6,000 years old?

It is a safe assumption to say that the C14/C12 atmospheric ratio has been relatively constant over the years.

Let's say that there was a flood about 4,000 to 8,000 years ago. Almost all life on earth was destroyed (Although we do know better than to believe that). Would this event have caused the isotope ratio to plummet, making animals that died 3,000 years ago appear to be millions of years old?

Just think about that. It doesn't make sense at all. With the loss of vegetation and animal mass on earth, carbon 14 production would have slowed down considerably, but...here is the clincher...C14 decays VERY SLOWLY. If you do the math, you will see that while Carbon 14 production might decrease, but it does not instantly disappear from the atmosphere. It would still take millions of years of decreased production for it to decay to such small levels.

Geological events would also not be responsible for shifting isotope ratios. The difference in mass between C14 and C12 is so tiny that the two are chemically equivalent. (In terms of reactivity) If anything, geological events could only homogenize isotope ratios, by causing a mixture of matter with different isotope ratios. But in no way could a geological event cause isotope ratios to be shifted.

The major point is this...atmospheric C14/C12 ratios are very stable right now. Had there been any major perturbation in recent history, we would not be any where near equilibrium right now. At the very least, we would be seeing the levels oscillate significantly.

It doesn't require faith to believe that the dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. You can simply read a book or two and become intellectually convinced of the soundness of that conclusion.

I know from experience that the only thing of which the Bible convices you is the need to have faith. That doesn't cut it for me.

cellmould

• IronGland
    IronGland

great webpage AlanF

• cellomould
    cellomould

Iron,

did you get your name from an Alice in Chains song? curious...

cellmould

• IronGland
    IronGland

Indeed.

Strange that cartoon of Comrade Stalin you use for your pic.

• heathen
    heathen

If I remember correctly , the WT does not believe the earth itself is only 6,000 years old ,I have heard some jw say that they don't have any idea how old the earth is ,that the day mentioned in the genisis is only relitive to God even though about any other time they would use the day is a thousand years scripture to explain stuff away.I have read some stuff that suggest that when the flood of noah happened it could have easily wreaked havok on the fossil record, in that cosmic dust that was incased in the watery canopy that was released in the deluge could easily throw off the carbon dating .I have also seen some scientists claim that it is impossible to date stuff that was exposed to sea water using carbon dating and get any kind of accurate reading.As far as noahs ark was concerned and how they deduce what a cubit is ,they somehow came up with 1.45 feet ,and also claim using those dimentions in genisis come up with the ideal cargo vessel for carrying large amounts of cargo.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Well when they can explain to me how dinosaurs are buried in Solid Rock and not under 6,000 years of dirt I might start to listen......

Has anyone here taking a Geology class??? My goodness, the rock layers alone tell you that the earth is Billions of years old.....

• cellomould
    cellomould

Are you just toolin' around with us heathen? Sure sounds like it...If so, hahahaha....you should team up with 6o9...

...and, speak of the devil...

• cellomould
    cellomould

Iron Gland,

I see you have a picture of Comrade Trotsky...Didn't I send my cronies to kill you with an ice pick in Mexico? Don't tell me you survived!

cellmould, only kidding of course

• heathen
    heathen

well shucks i guess I have nothing better to do then "tool around " with you .I was trying to reply to the , what does the society say question .I have read alot of their publications just out of curiousity and that about sums up the information I gathered . I was never a dub though .

• hooberus
    hooberus

Crazy151Drinker,

The "solid rock" that contains the remains of the dinosaurs was once muddy sediment (hense the phrase "sedimentary rock"). The Biblical flood explains these masses of sediment. Not all geologists believe that the rock layers are billions of years old. A good easy to understand reference is a book called "The Young Earth" by John Morris Ph.d Geology avalable from The Institute for Creation Research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit