email: naive JW sister, YOUR SUGGESTIONS?

by Quotes 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

I just received another email from this young sister that is so confused she thinks my website/email is the *real* Watchtower. For the record, here is the his correspondence so far:

First letter, received August 11, 2001 12:09

hi, my name is [name removed] &im seventeen years old and im from waco,texas. i atend the bellmead congergation i just recently visited yall this summer, with my congergation, it really helped me in alot of areas,just to see how everything is put together and how hard working everyone is. its just amazing!! keep up the good work everyone!!
    sincerly yours, [name removed]

My response, sent August 11, 2001 13:33

Dear [name removed] Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. It is so nice to hear from our young, teen-aged sisters from all parts of the world. Truly, the scriptures from Song of Solomon come to mind whenever we hear from our beautiful younger sisters! We are so pleased that you were able to visit us this summer, together with the Bellmead congregation from Waco. I am sure that it was an eye-opening experience for both you, and for the hard-working bethelites that were able to meet with you. It is interesting that you are from Waco, Texas. As you are no doubt aware, Waco was very much in the news due to events in March and April 1993 which involved "David Koresh" (whose real name was Vernon Howell) and his followers in the "Branch Davidian" religion. You would have been only about nine years old at the time, and likely don't remember too much about what happened. However, since you are geographically so close to that site of federal government interaction with a religious group, we strongly recommend that you thoroughly educate yourself regarding the details of that event. In that regard, we strongly recommend a book titled "Prophets of the Apocalypse : David Koresh and Other American Messiahs" by Kenneth R. Samples. Although out of print, you may still be able to obtain a copy using Amazon.com and their used book service. Try this link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0801083672/qid=997550629/sr=1-2/ref=sc_b_2/107-3081697-5094151 Once again, thank you for writing to us. Feel free to email to us any time you feel the need. If you have questions, problems, or concerns, or just want to say "Hi" we want to hear from you.

Her reply, sent August 11, 2001 13:51

hi, that was a very quick response. thank you. yes, i am very well aware of
    the David Koresh event. i remember it very well. and i will keep in mind the
    scriptures from solomon, agian thank you for the quick response
    sincerly, [name removed]

An unexpected follow-up sent the day of the terrorist strikes: September 11, 2001 17:38

hi im a soon to be sister from waco texas i get baptized in october and this
    mornig i woke up and heard about the terrisom to both the world trade
    centers. i just recently visited yall at the bethel tour. and im very
    concernd about any casualties of any bothers and sisters. i know this is part
    of the signs of the times were living in. its just that i care for my fellow
    brothers and sisters. im sitting here and im crying because i feel so sorry
    for the brothers and sisters that are living over there with sadam-hu-san, i
    cant help but think what there having to go through. but i know jehovah will
    take care of them. and i hope that all off the brothers and sisters there in
    new york are ok. and if somthing did happen , well we all know that jehovah
    will reconize there goods deeds and they will be rezorected, please write me
    back and let me know what is happening there, PLEASE!!! thank you very much
    for everthing
    ur almost soon to be sister-

[name removed]

I was too busy wathcing the TV for the next month that I never responded, I hope she didn't think we were "shunning" her!

Anyway, here is a recently received letter from this poor, dear sister: September 18, 2002 13:22

Hi! my name is [name removed], i wrote you once before about a year ago. I came a visited yall about 3 months ago with my congregation. that will make my second time being there. We just had our assembly this weekend, i can't tell you how much i enjoyed it. it was so wonderful. let me tell you about myself. I live in Waco,Texas, im 18 years old, i been baptized for 11 months, October 6th will make it a whole year, i've been in the truth since i was 3 1/2 years old. i didnt get baptized till i felt i had a real basic knowledge of the truth. my mom and two brothers are also in the truth, my dad is not, neither is any of my other family.
    going back up to Bethel was such a treat, it makes you really appreciate what jehovah has provided for us. you all are such wonderful and hard workers im sure jehovah is very proud of you. I also have a question. What are the requirments that i would have to have to be able to get to come to bethel? I know i have to be 19 years old, but thats all I really know. It would be my dream to get to come there. Please write back.
    Your Sister, [name removed]

I would appreciate your serious and not-so-serious suggestions for reply!

Thanks everybody!

Edited by - Quotes on 19 September 2002 10:55:20

Edited by - Quotes on 19 September 2002 10:55:58

• sf
    sf

Please, ask her if she yahoos? She sounds familiar. Thanks.

sKally

Edited by - sf on 19 September 2002 11:32:53

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

What are the requirments that i would have to have to be able to get to come to bethel?

Dear [NAME INSERTED]

Thank you for your recent visit to bethel. We are always happy to see our young 18 year old sisters when they come for a visit. Thank you also for your interest in serving Jehovah in the full time work.

One of the primary requirements that we encourage all future bethelites to prepare them to come to bethel, is that they read "In Search of Christain Freedom" by Ray Franz. You probably remember him as one of the governing body members.

Since you recently visted us you probably already know that we are downsizing at bethel. With Jehovah's blessing we have implemented new simplification procedures to distribute the truth to more people world wide. Jehovah has directed his spirit has directed his spirit directed organization to use Barnes and Nobal to help get the new light out world wide.

You can order your personal copy of this book here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?TTL=in+search+of+christain+freedom&userid=15G3HT0AH7&sourceid=00016837955778666308&bfdate=09%2D19%2D2002+11%3A44%3A54

Thank you again for your interest in serving Jehovah at bethel. Please give our warm regards to the brothers and sisters in the cult capital of the USA.

Your Brothers in christain cult service.

Edited by - beelzeDub on 19 September 2002 11:59:7

• Scully
    Scully

Well, her spelling has improved over the last year. Maybe they have an opening in the proof-reading department at Bethel???

heh heh

Love, Scully

• wasasister
    wasasister

If we participate in lying to this young woman, how are we different from the JW's? Why not set an example in honesty and tell her she has been writing to an "alternative" web site where some Jehovah's Witnesses go to gather information they cannot get at the Kingdom Hall. Tell her many JW's are hesitant to ask about doubts because they don't want to be thought of as "weak" or "opposers", but they do have sincere questions.

Explain that you are happy to continue to correspond with her and that she seems to be a fine young woman with worthwhile goals in life. Encourage her to keep an open mind, especially in light of the events in her home town.

Perhaps she will at least learn that "apostates" don't always lie.

Wasa

• metatron
    metatron

Tell her that unless she has very rare job skills, there is no way Bethel will ever
    accept her.

They are downsizing hundreds of brothers. Even before this happened, they rarely took
    single sisters in as Bethelites.

Unless you are a doctor, lawyer or IT genius, you stand no chance of getting in.

metatron

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You should tell her that you need the name and address of her PO so you can tell him that she has been corresponding with and viewing the web site of an apostate... for over a YEAR.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 19 September 2002 12:42:27

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

wasasister: I hate to say it, but you are correct, Damn you.........(hehe)

However, if you did not want to be correct, explain to her that as a prerequisite to attending bethel, a Test will be given from the book, "In search of Christian Freedom," please read and e-mail back for further instructions......

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

wassasister: You are correct, however the request from quotes was:

I would appreciate your serious and not-so-serious suggestions for reply!

Mine was meant to be not-so--serious.

Edited by - beelzeDub on 19 September 2002 13:28:56

• amac
    amac

On the serious side, I firmly agree with wasasister. I see no honor in being deceitful with her. I would never want to "trick" someone to get them to think the way I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit