Your favorite Witness?

by larc 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Herman Quarles and Steve Kellogg tie for 1st place with me. Men with big hearts, liberal outlooks and warm and friendly personalities.

They knew how to make you feel special regardless of how many meetings you missed or how little time you got out in service

Even though they both passed away several years ago, they will always have a place in my heart and mind!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Frank and Norma Skwarlo. Elderly even when I was a little kid of 4 or 5. They could tell stories of growing up before the Great Depression. Frank's famous story of his first ride in a "motorcar", he fell off I think a bicycle and broke his leg and someone picked him up and drove him to the doctor in a Model T. He'd laugh and say "we were going 25 miles per hour and in spite of my broken leg I couldn't believe how fast that was!" Once, Norma showed me all her report cards from when she went to school. She got some really bad grades let me tell you!

After a song would end and a meeting begin, Frank would absentmindedly start humming the song until Norma would elbow him and loudly whisper "Frank! Shhhh!" He'd just look around and smile. Norma was an excellent piano player and before our congregation bought the albums that the songs used to come on (pink songbook era) she played the KH's piano for meetings' songs.

Frank passed away a couple of years ago, well into his late 90's. That's sad because the man really deserved to live well past a hundred. I think, but may be wrong, that Norma is still alive. Last time their names came up when talking to my mom she said Norma was still alive and still sharp as a tack.

You can't have just one favorite anything. Others of note to me:

Otis Oliver Reagan, my great-great-uncle (stepdad's grandfather's brother) who is still alive in his late 90's but suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Never married in his whole life. Back when I was growing up and he was in his 70's and 80's he wanted him a young wife. And I mean young! Like 16 or so. (In Georgia back then, 14 was legal)

Carl Steinhart, CO for Georgia circuit #6 back in the late 80's.

Berno Pettersson. (for some strange reason). College-educated dub. Knew everything about everything.....literally. Very strange person, hot temper, and a lot of people didn't like him but I've always liked Berno a lot even though I didn't always show it. Also his parents, who at the time I thought were far more cool than he was. Probably still are.

The Grimsleys. Bobby, Mary Jane, Ray, and even Bob. I won't discuss Bob, tho. Bobby owned the land we lived on when I was a little kid. He also owned the auto repair shop on that land and that if anything is what got auto repair into my blood. Ray and Bob, the boys, went into Bethel service back in the 80's and Bobby and Mary Jane soon followed. Bobby ran the garage at Watchtower Farms for a long time. The boys both married beautiful wives they met at Bethel (Ray scored a Latino babe!). Bobby and Mary Jane eventually left Bethel and moved back to Fort Valley, GA. I've seen Bobby a couple of times in the shop where I work now but either he doesn't recognize me or does and chooses to ignore me. Next time he comes in, I'm going to make a point of saying hello!

Arra Lawson, childhood best friend.

(bye, Brother Skwarlo, I love you!)

Col. Bendrr, [classified]

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Matt Riemenschneider was my best friend while I was in. A genuinely good guy, but a dyed-in-the-wool dub, when mama says jump he asks how high and where, never has questioned one sentence printed in the pubs.

Dave Hodgson and Kevin Smith were good guys, Bethel-ers may know Kevin. I also liked Jim Navratil pretty well.

• buffy
    buffy

Wow, this is stirring up old emotions.

He was an elder named Kenny Moyer. An old white haired man. I never knew my father, but he was as close to me as any faterh could be. He loved me to death. Always showed me special treatment: called on me everytime I rose my hand, gave me a hug every time he saw me, gave me little gifts, and had my mom and me over for dinner every week. He even got in trouble for showing favoritism by the other elders. The last time I saw him I was 13 years old, and I gave him a hug at the hall. He said "Don't squeeze too hard, I'm not feeling too good." That night he died of a heartattack. I was never so heartbroken in my life. I wonder if he'd been able to shun me like all the others. Probably.

Buffy.

• musky
    musky

Any witness who I could talk to about a problem, and saw that they really cared , instead of giving the old textbook answer. I could see it in there eyes.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Too many of them to remember.......... 1 in particular though was from a couple of years back whilst I was on holiday in Greece .....I spotted some ancient old and sun wizzened greek man standing in a town square on market day with a copy of the greek watchtower in his hand, I couldn't resist it and had to go up to him, after much gesturing with me pointing at the magazine and then pointing at me, suddenly the penny dropped....for someone who had the physical dimensions of Yoda, he sure had a firm hug, and wouldn't let go for ages whilst tears rolled down his face. The language barrier was there, but so was the love too. I haven't forgotten that, and I never knew his name.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Vladmir Kovalev

• minimus
    minimus

Bendrr, I know Ray and Irene Grimsley. I heard that suddenly they had to leave Bethel. It was quite hush-hush. Do you know anything about that?

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Any that happens to be on fire.

• barry
    barry

I like Michael Jackson also the lovely lady I studied with, she put up with me through thick and thin. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit