Assembly picketing

by freedom96 22 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

When I went to the assemblies, I would see people picketing, holding signs up, etc. You would have "security" to look out for green bibles, and keep opostates out.

I never looked at them with hatred, never really gave it much thought at all.

I am curious if anyone here has participated in protesting the assemblies, and what were the reactions?

• wednesday
    wednesday

From the other side-we were alawys warned that there would likely be pickerts there and to not look at them and never say a word to them. I personally never ever looked at xjw materail until i got my computer and felt it waas some what safer. I ever bought the Franz book once and threw it away so fearful was i to incur Jehovah's warth. I still have not read that book.

I occ saw someone who did talk to the apostates but usaully they were new in truth. belive me if anyone had seen us talking to them-we would have beeen big time counseled.

Actaully, the only hope u have at those assembiles is getting some new person to look at eh stuff. Dyed in the wool jw would never look at it-even if they were curious. They would get in trouble.

• david_10
    david_10

In my opinion, picketing does more harm than good. When I was active, there was no way that I would have given a protestor the time of day. The picketing only feeds the persecution complex that the Society breeds into the flock and drives the JW's deeper inside. I can honestly say that those in - your - face opposers, combined with bad apostate reading material, delayed my exit from the Organization by at least 10 years. I have never heard of anyone who suddenly had their eyes opened by being accosted by protesters at an assembly or by finding a flyer under their windshield wiper or any of the other tricks that over-zealous apostates use, and I doubt that there is anyone. I think that the best thing to do is leave the Dubs alone and let them figure it out for themselves. Most never will, but that's the only way that I could have done it, and that's the only way everyone I know who has left the Organization has done it. I would be interested to know if anyone has had a different experience, though.

David

• greven
    greven

I agree With David_10.

People outside with signs and flyers will only give a weird impression of apostates. No, let them find out for themselves. Now with internet if they really have doubts or questions they will take up enough courage and find the sites eventually. This is how I freed myself from the borg. Having doubts, questions, disagreeing with a lot of stuff and a curiosity what apostates really were like. as soon as I had access to the net the first thing typed into the search engine was 'JW`s' . when you get warned over and over at the cong and assemblies NOT to visit apostate sites i cannot think of anybody who does not try to do so. (who can resist a big red flashing button with a neon sign hovering above it saying 'DO NOT TOUCH' ?) A couple of weeks ago some freek Sis actually warned others not to search with the words Jehovah or JW`s for this would only lead you to apostates. the more the society demonizes the internet the more curious the R&F will become. The Motto: "Give them enough rope and they will eventually hang themselves" .

Greven.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I remember feeling afraid when I would see apostates picketing outside of our assembly hall. I thought for sure they must be demonized! It was almost as if I looked at them they were sure to cast a spell on me!

I don't think this works on sending positive messages across.

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I was raised a JW but left when I became an adult. 15 years later, I picketed an assembly (about seven/ eight years ago.) It was a neat experience. I got all sorts of looks and non-looks. I even had a nice chat with a young lad. The highlight was when my dad (a PO), mom and brother walked by me. I said, "Hi dad!" He just shook his head. Whew! If only I could have bottled the moment. Hmmm.

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

Oh, by the way, my family still shuns me. (I wonder why?!)

• Funchback
    Funchback

About (10) years ago some guy was picketing the Convention in Philly outside of Veteran's Stadium. He was a skinny white guy with a choppy beard and he looked like a lunatic. He carried a sign that read, 'Read The Bible, Not The Watchtower'.

I dismissed the guy as an 'apostate' but it's interesting how his words have always stuck in my head.

Maybe picketing CAN have an effect.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Since finding these forums by ex-jws I have learned a lot. Though I still read many of the post and reply to a few I have brought heat upon myself by remarking how I feel that most that live in such forums are still consumed by the JWs. Personally I do not see the advantage of picketing. I agree that it brings more negative than any good. Though I agree with the silent lambs main issue of child abuse in the org I also am aware that this is not JUST a JW issue. I have posted news articles about religious leaders being arrested for such conduct throughout the nation and other religious groups having tried to cover-up such activities. I do remember the picketers and the warnings about such. I also remember that the picketers actions never drew much of my attention and only confirmed, in my mind, that they were indeed just disgruntled ex-jws.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I ignored such protestors when I was a JW. They didn't seem like they were reaching anybody.

But my DA'd sister tells me that several assembly attenders did call the phone number listed on the bottom of the signs they were carrying. And some even came out of the organization (here in Minnesota) based on the new information they received.

So it does work, even if in a small way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit