CREATIONISM----F.Y.I

by nakedmvistar 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cellomould
    cellomould

Extinct species in North America you never knew existed: large armadillos, giant ground sloths, camels, horses, giant beaver, and so many more...

The beautiful armadillo (scientific name Dasypus bellus) was a larger cousin of the modern nine-banded armadillo (scientific name Dasypus novemcinctus) found throughout the southeastern U.S. The drawing above shows an extinct beautiful armadillo in the background with a modern nine-banded armadillo in the foreground.

The body of the beautiful armadillo was covered with armor composed of thousands of bony scutes. These were probably very effective in protecting the slow armadillo from predators.

In the midwestern U.S. the beautiful armadillo has been found at sites from Indiana, Iowa, and Missouri (map). Like many other Pleistocene large mammals, it went extinct approximately 11,000 years ago.

Four species of ground sloths inhabited the United States at the end of the last Ice Age. These were Jefferson's ground sloth (Megalonyx jeffersonii), Laurillard's ground sloth (Eremotherium laurillardi), the Shasta ground sloth (Nothrotheriops shastensis), and Harlan's ground sloth (Glossotherium harlani). Of these four only two, Jefferson's and Harlan's ground sloths, are found in the midwestern U.S.

The picture above shows a reconstruction of Jefferson's ground sloth from the University of Iowa Museum of Natural History.

Harlan's ground sloth is reconstructed as looking quite similar to Jefferson's.

Ground sloths were large relatives of the modern two-toed sloths (Choloepus spp.) and three-toed sloths (Bradypus spp.). Unlike modern sloths, which spend most of their time in trees, the ground sloths spent all of their time on the ground. This is fortunate because Jefferson's and Harlan's ground sloth were each about the size of an oxen.

All four species of ground sloth had very large claws. However, all were herbivores. They had relatively small, blunt teeth, which they probably used for browsing on trees and shrubs.

The shape of their hip bones indicates that they could stand up on their hind legs. This would allow them to reach high up into trees for the best leaves and twigs.

All four species of ground sloth became extinct in North America approximately 10,000 years ago. The reason for their extinction is being studied by paleontologists.

Although not common, ground sloths occur in the midwestern U.S. This map shows some of the important ground sloth finds in the region.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/

• rem
    rem

Cellomould,

Cool pictures! Have you ever read The Third Chimpanzee by Jarred Diamond? Great book. He brings out an interesting coincidence... that these great, giant mammals of North America suddenly died out as soon as humans migrated down the continent 11,000 years ago. It's quite plausible that humans hunted these animals to extinction in a relatively short period of time. Some of these animals' fossils show signs of hunting by humans.

There is also the theory (among others) that there were some climate changes 11,000 years ago that lead to their demise. No one knows the real reason yet, but it's interesting to think that humans were plundering the land even that long ago.

I think those ancient mammals are amazing... to me they are more interesting than the dinosaurs in some ways.

Xander, thanks for the props, man!

rem

• cellomould
    cellomould

Hey rem,

Yeah I've read The Third Chimpanzee. That's a great book! I have also had the honor to meet Jared Diamond at UCLA at the LA Times Festival of Books. He asked my girlfriend where she was from...when she replied 'the Phillipines', he spoke to her in Tagalog. Pretty clever guy, even if it was, as he admitted, the only phrase he knew.

I like him because he doesn't fear to try new things.

As we have seen, his most notable works are almost entirely outside of his own field.

I have yet to read Why is Sex Fun? ...don't know why I'm procrastinating with that one...

And about the extinct Pleistocene mammals...I find them fascinating...I wish I could find more pictures, like of the camels...perhaps it's time for a visit to a Natural History Museum. Recently, I have passed by quite a few such museums without visiting...Washington DC, San Francisco, Gainesville, etc...but we do have a couple in LA.

I am also fascinated by endangered species, like the river dolphins, some of which have very poor eyesight as they live in muddy waters.

cellmould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit