CREATIONISM----F.Y.I

by nakedmvistar 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Xander
    Xander

So God dumbed it down for everyone until they could catch up

No, 'It was really complicated and took a long time' is dumbing it down.

'It took seven days' is lying.

Either way, just because their 'world' was flooded doesnt mean it was the entire world

It didn't say 'their world' or 'part of the world'. And remember, these aren't people recalling their accounts. This is supposedly the one, all-powerful divine being relating these things to Moses. He said 'every living thing that draws breath' was destroyed in the flood. That's pretty conclusive, no? And, he doesn't even stop there, oh no! Gen. 7:4 => "...and every substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth."

Yessirre, every living thing that draws breath that was created, and every substance that was created.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh give us a break. Moses could understand anything you could understand, don'tcha think? Geezus, why are you defending the bible? That is crazy! It's a shitty excuse for god's word. And people who cling to it have chosen a shitty god.

• Believer3307
    Believer3307

Just a little curious here. Why do people who hold to the evolutionist theory insist that folks with religious beliefs are wrong? Evolutionists like to point out difficulties with the Bible and insist that faith must be invalid due to the "unanswerable questions" that the Bible seems to present. But, does unanswerable questions make a belief false? If that's the case wouldn't evolutionists have to renounce thier theory as well? Since faith cannot be proved scientifically, does this mean faith is false? I personally don't think so.

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest here... just curious...

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Sorry Six,

But I think if you tried to explain physics or chemistry to moses he would have drawn a big blank. Now if we were talking about raising sheep, Im sure he would know quite a bit! Now Im not saying that he couldnt learn, he did supervise egyptian construction and the egyptians knew alot of math. The point im making is the knowledge wasnt there. Im sure moses would have a PHD in our times but the high tech of his days were donkeys and carts, not the space shuttle. So which is easier to teach someone, earth was created in 7 days or PHYSICS????? I would love to see you try to teach QUANTUM PHYSICS to a bunch of people who dont even now how to make IRON.

And Im still waiting to meet someone who has seen the Big Bang or knows what happened before it. How did it even start?? Its easy to Slam God but even easier to Slam the Big Bang. Xan, you list what was it, 162 errors in the bible?? How errors has SCIENCE made????

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

According to your argument Xan,

The bible should have all forms of Knowledge in it because its from God. God should have included CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, ASTRONOMY, etc..etc.. and maybe even some Shakespere.

• Satanus
    Satanus

God should have included CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, ASTRONOMY, etc..etc.. and maybe even some Shakespere.

Actually, it would have been very easy for god to teach accurate astronomy, chemistry, etc to moses. Moses supposedly spent several 40 day periods exclusively w god. When on considers our own teaching aides in the form of videos, computer simulations, microscopes, telescopes etc, it shows the powers of explanation the almighty had at his finger tips. God could have arranged tours for moses' eys to see, whether in his body or out of it. God could have taken moses from what he could see w ordinary vision, then transported him into the objects of nature, lifted him up to show him the earth, it's relationship w the sun, stars etc. He could have enable moses to electrmagnetic fields surrounding everything. These are just some simple examples of the education moses could have gotten if god was really involved as the bible claims.

Furthermore, moses was supposedly a much higher being than is modern man. He was supposedly much closer to the perfection that adam was supposed to have had. We modern degenerates are supposed to be the result of thousands of years of degradation from perfection, with the help of satanic/demonic domination. Our morals, abilities to think intelligently should be much diminished from that of moses.

So these excuses some make for the crude barbarism in the ot are just another contradiction of the bible itself.

SS

• Xander
    Xander

You're completely wrong. I never said it should contain everything.

ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT WHAT IT DOES CONTAIN SHOULD BE CORRECT.

If Moses 'couldn't understand' anything at all about creation (including, apparently, 'It was really complicated and took a long time'), then the bible should contain nothing at all about it.

If the one, all-powerful and all-seeing god decides to have man write something down, don't you think it is important enough to be accurate?

And, when we can then prove it is NOT accurate, what does that mean? That 'god' is wrong? Or, that 'god' did not, in fact, have anything to do with the bible?

How errors has SCIENCE made

You fail to realize 'science' is a fairly modern discipline. It has not stated anything to be an absolute fact that was later refuted - hence, '0 errors'.

But, does unanswerable questions make a belief false?

No, contradictions do. If the 'word of god' says one thing, and we can verify that it is false, you have a problem.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The point im making is the knowledge wasnt there.

And the point I'm making is that if God had told Moses (whoever the hell he is, we really don't know, do we?) that it took eons of time for the earth to get to the stage he found it, knowledge would have had a real head start, don't you agree?

Very well said SS. God could have explained just a little, and made the course of humanity sooooooooooo much less frought with disaster. Just the basics would have sufficed.

• Xander
    Xander

God could have explained just a little, and made the course of humanity sooooooooooo much less frought with disaster

LOL!

Indeed, that's another whole can of worms. For somebody supposedly omniscient, he sures exercises a remarkable lack of foresite.

I mean, if, for example, when he told his people 'Thou shalt not kill' and then, like, didn't allow them to kill and just used his own divine force to make things happen, just imagine how much more peaceful human history would be.

The unspoken exception to 'Thou shalt not kill' being 'except for those who are my enemy, and I'll leave that up to you to decide' has caused more harm than anything the devil could have cooked up.

• Perry
    Perry

Liberty said:

Evolutionists "require" nothing because science isn't trying to do anything but come up with viable explainations for phenomenon based upon evidence observed in the natural world.

How can you possibly make a statement like that when you know full well that science REQUIRES hypothesis. The hypothesis is the starting point of observation and testing. Now since the hypothesis of something from nothing in evolutionary theory is beyond our normal observation and indeed the laboratory, it remains a theory. However, as a theory it is useful in explaining many things. Since science can definitely falsify its current understanding of a something from nothing hypothesis that doesn't mean that evolution is false. It is the starting point or lack thereof that require a hypothesis or faith or whatever you want to call it for atheistic evolutionists.

Furthermore, to bring into the discussion morality/authority simply changes the discussion from that of logic to one of a philosophical nature.....just as I predicted that many do. The fact that the bible is fraught with errors really doesn't discount its usefulness in other aspects of practicality......much the same way the falsification of "something" from nothing" doesn't discount the value of evolutionary theory increasing our practical understanding of life.

Science books 200 years ago were laughable. Should we discard science? Hardly. Newtons' laws, though 300 years old help us explore our solar system. Other "science" of the time has been discarded.

I did like your characterization of science though..... "viable explanations for phenomen" Doesn't the consciousness of the human state constitute a phenomen just as its physical, molecular, and atomic structure constitute a phenomnon? It is the conscious awareness of being that is attempted to be addressed by religion to create a viable explanation for the purpose and practicalness of living as humans.

Please don't venerate science as a puritanical ephiphany of all knowledge without its own demons. It simply cannot answer questions that are unique to our species. When an animal ages it is many times eliminated by predators and increases the efficientness of the group. Like wise, eugenics would seem to be a logical progression of evolution for our species; but would infinitely decrease the meaning we assign to the uniqueness of being of our neighbors. That is why debate between science and religion is healthy for our species. In my opinion, they help kep each other in check.

You make a good point about the resistance of change in some theological thought because it represents a threat to the current heirachy. Science has experienced the same resistance but has not enjoyed the influence over human society that its religious counterpart has. That is changing. If it had, I have no doubt that similar attrocities would be "sold" to the public as well.

Though our capacity for logic is vast, it would be a mistake to discard our other tools for creating meaning, however "illogical" they may be.

Edited by - Perry on 20 September 2002 20:36:59

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit