Useless Drama Pictures

by Matty 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Matty
    Matty

Do any of you good people of jw.com remember going to a district convention and hearing that little announcement the chairman would make before the bible-drama started?

It generally went like this: "Please remain seated during the drama and please do not obstruct other peoples view if using recording equipment such as camcorders" and he would also say "Please do not use flash photography because it distracts others and is of little use."

They made such a fuss anyone would think we were all going to witness the second coming of Christ, floating down on his chariot onto the field! No, of course we weren't, all we were actually going to witness was a bunch of silly people running around a football (or in this case rugby) field wearing their bedroom curtains and false beards, miming to a cheesy taped soundtrack flown from Brooklyn, all of them outrageously gesturing, pretending they were notable bible characters.

Now, confession time! What did you do during the drama? Well, many like myself took pictures. Why did I take pictures? I have no bloody idea. Here pictured is an example of a typical drama photo, taken by myself at Twickenham Rugby Stadium, before it was rebuilt. Have you any sort of idea what is actually going on here, because I haven't a clue!

It seems that every witness I know has an abundant supply of these kinds of photos. Please feel free to comment or post your very worst convention photos.

• ballistic
    ballistic

ok- you asked for it!

• nilfun
    nilfun

LOL! ah, I needed that laugh!

Have you any sort of idea what is actually going on here, because I haven't a clue!

Perhaps you should have taped the drama, transcribed it, then you could have pasted little captions underneath all the photos. Kinda like a "Drama Mini-book"....

• Matty
    Matty

Do you really have any as bad as that ballistic? I await with interest!

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Hmmmm, might this be the 1994 drama?

• Xander
    Xander

No laughing now....

And remember, I *did* grow up as a witness, so I have a good excuse, but....

I honestly did not realize they were miming to a taped recording. Until I was, like, TWENTY or something.

Horribly embarrasing, I know. I just kept looking for the microphones they must have had hidden.

You know, it didn't even clue me in that they always sounded the same, year after year after year.

(Hmmm....let's see if I can steal a link from MSN):

Not mine - but an after drama photo op!

(This is funny to, another pic on this JW site is of "Kenny, Jill(aka hummer) her hubby hidding...and some long time friends.JPG". Now, I don't know about YOU all, but if *I* was still a JW and a sister in the hall was nicknamed 'hummer'....well, I'd just be STUMBLED!)

Edited by - Xander on 17 September 2002 16:9:32

• Satanus
    Satanus

Shakesperian plays would have been more meaningful.

SS

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, I was in a couple of dramas. Back in the 80's I had a memorable role in the Jeremiah drama. My performance stole the show. I was the one who turned the name "man 3" into a household word.

I can still hear the overacting voiceover belting out "Je-HOE-vah" like he was cheering on a sports team. He was probably a frustrated bethelite dreaming of a lost acting career.

Then, in 1986, my wife and I had major roles in a modern drama. I played a young husband who was getting sidetracked by business concerns.

And, yes, I agree. The dramas were a crock. You could take the soundtrack of any drama, and play it over the acting from any other drama without noticing the difference. We were instructed to flap our arms when we spoke, so that persons in the far stands would know who the hell was talking. Pretty subtle acting.

I think it is a sad commentary on the life of JW's that this was the high point of their weekend, maybe even their summer.

• Matty
    Matty

Nilfun, "Drama Mini-book" eh? I'm sure somebody's thought of them. They'd be a bit like that Lego bible story site (which is my favourite bible related site EVER):

http://www.thereverend.com/brick_testament

I've seen many photo albums of witnesses, and the weirdest are the baptism photos. Loads of pics of people getting dunked in various places. Anyone outside the org would see them as very strange.

Xander, they used the same tapes for all English speaking lands, so it was kinda obvious living in the UK that they were miming, as the characters all had American accents.

Thank you for that photo, it was delightfully awful! Think, if any brothers had REAL beards, they would never be given the privilage of being in a drama. Thats irony!

Edited by - matty on 17 September 2002 16:14:12

• Englishman
    Englishman

This was the best Biblical drama that I ever saw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit