Secrets of JW Elder Power

by Amazing 45 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

I can recall commenting to a new CO about a matter of policy in appointing new Elders and MS by citing what the previous CO instructed, only to be told that we are now to follow the direction of the new CO -

SO TRUE INDEED

######

yes in NYC a CO can get pissed on by local brothers esp if they have contacts in the Service Dept

I saw an elder once scare the sh!t out of a CO- the co had made a comment about something and the Elder said"

I will give "Leon" a call tomarrow and ck on that" well Leon is Leon Weaver one of the most powerful guys in the Service dept

he is the guy who can get your assigned to Duluth Minosotata or Palms Springs CA-

or if need be BACK INTO THE PIONEER WORK- SMILE

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I have moved into a new congregation to discover that things are viewed differently on several matters ... much depends on the good memory (and broad experience) of the Elders as to what is said by way of ORAL instruction ...

Very true. I moved area and found the new body in a small country town very different to the larger ,more experinced bodies I had been used to .

It evident from experiences here that things can vary a lot.

• happy man
    happy man

A, very intresting topic, myself was an elder fore over 20 year in a littel swedish cong, i can tell you that here we NEVER can call the headquarter, we have to follow the CO.

We have some very nice CO, and some very bad ones.

one exampel when my boy who was dfd fore minor things, have been dfd fore over one year, the elder try to tell the Co that he have been very good inn reproving, was on evry meeting, try very hard to show that he want to come back, the CO then say, 1year is nothing, when the elder try too argu widh him he suddenly tell them that he will remove al of them if they dont understand what hee say, they where all chocked, several cong was writing to the branchoffice about him but to this day he is still CO and i dont think nowone have done so much harm, and he sure is the reason that several leving the truth.

I think it is very sad that the judging system can go so wrong, widh all this imperfekt men.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

You are all so right about the power of the COs.

The cong. that I used to go to, were trying to buy a property (for a new KH), but one CO advised them against it because it wasn't suitable for disabled ones, (the meeting room was upstairs with no lift, only stairs), so the elders waited until we had a change of CO, and lo and behold the next CO was just the man ! He gave his blessing on the purchase of the hall, and to this day the disabled ones have to sit downstairs in a foyer-type room, with people going backward and forwards to the toilets and having very little association with others. Christianity ???

• Dino
    Dino

Greetings Amazing.

I have been gone all day long on an exhausting one day round trip business meeting.

Your new post pretty much summed up the frustrations in attempting to arrive at a correct conclusion when dealing with complex and multi-faceted situations.

However, lets go back to what you said originally shall we?

In the original post that you linked to this new one you stated:

Here is what our body of Elders concluded, and what another Body of Elders concluded when I asked them the same question:
    Yes, the Elders "can" re-Disfellowship a person who stops attending Meetings and failing to go out in Service shortly after reinstatement. The reason is that they can say that the reinstated person is "lacking works that befit repentance"

Having attended many KM schools and also having worn out many pens taking copious notes at such, you might say that I am familiar with the Society's "oral tradition". The point is however, the "oral tradition" and even the written tradition is handed down via the avenues you described, FROM THE SOCIETY.

So in going back to your words above, in what way does a few elders consensus constitute "oral tradition"?

Did you hear this at a KM school, CO's visit, or perhaps at one of the supplementary elder's meetings at an assembly, all of these being the main way that the SOCIETY'S oral tradition is handed down? Or maybe you called the service desk? Please enlighten us.

Let me ask you another question,

Do you still feel that restrictions on newly reinstated persons are placed because they still need to show "works that befit repentance"?

If you will recall, not one former elder agreed with your assertations.

And I might add (gathering from some of the past elders histories posted here) they had quite a combined number of years serving as such.

So what say ye, my man?

I will not be able to respond until this weekend.

Dino

Edited by - Dino on 17 September 2002 21:21:10

Edited by - Dino on 17 September 2002 21:35:19

• minimus
    minimus

DINO, if AMAZING is trying to suggest that elders and CO's can at times get away with not following the Society's procedures, I will agree. If he is trying to say the CO's have lots of authority, I agree.But if he's trying to say that if a reinstated person doesn't go out in service or stops attending meetings that he will get redisfellowshipped for lacking works that befit repentance, I'll say it again: HE'S WRONG.Let's say, someone is reinstated. The reason for the reinstatement is that the individual displayed repentance at the meeting or meetings.BEFORE a person is reinstated, they MUST show acts that befit repentance.If the judicial commitee decides that person has shown repentance, then they reinstate. NO ADDITIONAL TIME is considered to determine whether or not a person is going to go to all 5 meetings or regularly go out in service.The matter has been determined (by holy spirit) and now the decision has been rendered. There's no double jeporardy. The same principle applies to a person that gets baptized. If they stop attending, they don't get disfellowshipped and their baptism is not rescinded.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Dino: Your style reminds me of an old H20 poster named "Friend" who got into the same type of argument with me ... and he could not seem to understand that written policy is not the only governing factor. Now on to some of your points:

So in going back to your words above, in what way does a few elders consensus constitute "oral tradition"?

The Oral tradition is not always universal, as shown in this post which is confirmed by a number of former Elders. That is, it lacks consistency. One CO says one thing, and the next CO says the opposite. I am surprised you seem to ignore this reality given the exhaustive experience you claim you have. But the one constant is that unless some action is totally outside the interests of, or in someway threatens the Society, they normally uphold the decisions of the Elders in DF matters ... even when such decision are not clear in written policy.

Also, how did two bodies of experienced Elders arrive at such similar conclusions unless something was 'orally' suggested to them by COs or DOs or other Watchtower officials? When I stated that a newly reinstated JW "can" be DF'd again for not making progress in attending meetings and Field Service ... I was not stating that this was a written policy nor did I state it was a universal 'oral' policy ... but is is an understand held by a number of Elders from differing areas ... and it has been applied with the sanction of the Watchtower Society ...

... so in that sense it """CAN""" be done ... much the same as other types of DFing can be done though no specific written or universal oral policy is in force ... there are nonetheless traditions and oral understandings that do get circulated and become valid over time. Some do not ... my point in this post it that I believe the responses in my earlier post were written from a rigid perspective, not allowing for the realities inherant in JW practice. Likewise, at times on this and other forums, I have learned of things other Elders have said and done that did not fit my own experience ... but I had to allow for the fact that it does exist, and that for some reason the Society sanctions these as well.

Did you hear this at a KM school, CO's visit, or perhaps at one of the supplementary elder's meetings at an assembly, all of these being the main way that the SOCIETY'S oral tradition is handed down? Or maybe you called the service desk? Please enlighten us.

I already did "enlighten" you by stating that my first learning of this was among other Elders, and by checking with a congregation in another area (in San Francisco) 45 - 50 miles to the south of our congregation. The San Francisco Elder I talked with was a co-worker at Bechtel Power Corporation, and he was advised by the Society and a Circuit Overseer.

Let me ask you another question, ... Do you still feel that restrictions on newly reinstated persons are placed because they need to show "works that befit repentance"?

Yes, absolutely. If you recall, years ago the Society banned applause for those newly reinstated viewing this as inappropriate, as though the applasue suggested the reinstated person had done something special ... rather, their reinstatement was to be viewed as only a beginning, and they have a long road to prove themselves once again.

Additionally, I did not state that DFing a newly reinstated person for lacking meeting attendance or Field Service was the norm, and in fact, if you read my original post again, you will see that it is "not" the norm ... but it "can" be done ... and in one case I know of for certain, it was done.

This does not mean that JW Elders are looking to re-disfellowship easily. It just means that the newly reinstated person must go through a process to regain all priveleges and once again hold a good standing ... and one way to do this is to engage in works that befit repentance ... if you look up that expression in the Watchtower publication index you will be more enlightened.

Maybe the problem you are having with me is that we are seeing things from different ways, but not communicating well for some reason.

If you will recall, not one former elder agreed with your assertations.

If you recall, all former Elders on this thread, excet you, have agreed to everything I stated. And part of what I stated in the opening of this thread included the issue from the first thread ... so you claim is not true. My 'assertions' as you wish to call them are nothing more than stating factually what I experienced, observed, or particiapted in. Nothing more and nothing less. So there is no way that in the former thread anyone can debate my own personal experiences ...

... and knowing the religion as we all do, I am surprised you seem to make such a big deal out of trying to be right in some technical way ... it is something that can and does happen, though not written as first debated with me ...

And I might add (gathering from some of the past elders histories posted here) they had quite a combined number of years serving as such.

Good ... and their above comments to this thread certify that they too see matters as I stated them.

So what say ye, my man? I will not be able to respond until this weekend. - Dino

It is said.

Edited by - Amazing on 17 September 2002 21:56:31

• Dino
    Dino

What's up minimus?

Exactly minimus. Amazing makes some correct observations in this post, however they dont really speak to what he incorrectly insisted on in his original post.

You know minimus, I almost didnt respond to this post because I didnt want to sound old Pharisee arguing about the Mishnah.

And that is a part of my past that I am really looking to bury forever in the near future.

Anyhoo, minimus, as always I enjoy your posts AND experience.

Dino

• Amazing
    Amazing

Minimus and Dino: You guys are being way tooooo legalistic here ... I was giving a view and stating what I observed and learned orally while serving as an Elder. I did not suggest that this is normal or that it is written policy ... but that it is what happens, and the Society sanctioned it ... and I gave the reasoning used ... why is this so hard to accept that things like this happen?

I agree with you about reinstatement being based on repentance ... but Elders """ can """ determine that they will revisit a matter and they can re-disfellowship a person ... it has happened using the reasoning I mentioned ... I did not say what you seem to keep insisting that this is normal ...

Similarly, the sister DF'd for "Lack of Love" is something that can and does happen ... but it is not the norm. Please stop arguing with things I did not say or intend to imply. Thanks.

Edited by - Amazing on 17 September 2002 22:4:27

• minimus
    minimus

O.K. ....ANYTHING could happen . A person COULD be redisfellowshipped for anything. A person COULD be disfellowhipped for disagreeing with a CO, I guess. A person COULD be disfellowshipped for wearing tight clothing, I guess. A person COULD be disfellowshipped for not doing personal study, I guess. Yes someone COULD get disfellowshipped or RE-disfellowshipped for pretty much anything,I guess....lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit