Do We CHOOSE to be depressed?

by Crystal 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Another JW method....if what we told you before did not work, throw another book at it.

Reading self-help books, IMO, is a waste of tree pulp and time. How many times has Oprah covered this with Dr. Phil? Too friggin many.

People need to talk to someone, get some meds and try to get better. Telling a depressed person to read a self-help book is like telling a physically ill person to read a book. Go on WEB Md...you don't need a doctor!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Teenyuck

I think self-help books have their place - not as a cure but as a way to understand what you are going through

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I agree Lee....They are just over done with psychology.

My mother continually reads self help books. She is still a narcissictic, miserable, manipulative, hateful person. She loves Dr. Phil and tough love. Big deal.

If it tells me how to fix a pipe, make a roast, paint the wall, lay tile or something like that, it is great. If it explains what and why, fine. I don't think the books that tell people "if this happened to you, you should feel/be/think this" do any good. Those are so over sold. If they really helped there would not be new ones coming out daily.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

OMG.........three pages longa and I just now decide to put my .02 in! LOL

Ladylee wrote:

I think self-help books have their place - not as a cure but as a way to understand what you are going through

I agree with you there, girly! Self help books have helped me so much in the past. Some have been complete bullsh** and some have helped fill in the blanks. Just my opinion.

Ah, depression. What a touchy subject I see. Depression is not chosen. Depression can be genetic, and yes, some people can be "crisis orientated" and bring on the "doom and gloom" attitude in their lives, but true clinical depression is not chosen. Mimilly, your analogy of the concrete was great!

BUT.........again, here is my opinion, treatment options ARE chosen. There are many many options available. Some work for some, others for others. Therein lies the choice of treatment for depression. Unfortunately, some people are never cured of depression and have to learn to manage their lives under such an illness. If only depression were so easy to cure as to take a pill.......such a misunderstood illness. *sigh*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit