Do We CHOOSE to be depressed?

by Crystal 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Excuse me - we CHOOSE to be depressed. I don't think so.

For many depression is a natural result of abuse. I didn't choose to be depressed just like I didn't choose to be born into a family that would abuse me. I have always been a very positive person. That doesn't stop abuse just like it won't stop depression

For others depression is a neurochemical imbalance that is NOT in their control. There are natural responses to life that can bring on depression - like a parent dying or the loss of a job.

And yes I found a way out of it but it was damned hard work. And I never would have been depressed if I hadn't been abused.

This is just another version of "Blame the Victim" I'm fed up with it and hate it. People choosing to be depressed or abused is such a pile of crap.

Well that blows my pressure valve for the day

Edited by - Lady Lee on 16 September 2002 17:1:56

• Satanus
    Satanus

Y'all disagree w my post, so sure, i'll rethink this subject. For now, i'll change the part where i said that we make good or bad decisions to just that we make decisions, but they aren't 'good' and they aren't 'bad'. I didn't mean to blame or fault victims in any way. No one is 'bad' because of problems they may have. Problems just are.

SS

• Crystal
    Crystal

I have been suicidal.

I have been abused.

I have taken prozac.

I have gone to shrinks.

I have joined cults.

None of those things worked.

I change my own brain chemicals by exercising (yes I know it's a dirty word) but it works.

I have taken responsiblity for how I think and it works.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Gee Crystal - you never said you experienced clinical depression! Left that one out eh? Well how nice that you've found something that works for YOU.

Treatment for depression is not a one size fits all.

You OBVIOUSLY have never had clinical depression or you wouldn't be spouting such bullshit!

Oh - btw - I exercise and take responsibility for myself too. And you listed those things off as if they were items on your grocery list.

Hey WORLD! Crystal had this depression thing ALL figured out for ALL of us!

Mim

Edited by - Mimilly on 16 September 2002 17:55:19

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hello Crystal.

I am pleased and glad for you, that you found something that worked for you. None of those things worked for me. I tried them with no results.

I am not calling you a liar, but I strongly doubt that you had true clinical depression. Although I am sure it felt terrible to you.

Hope this finds you well and healthy and you maintain that status.

Outoftheorg

• Celia
    Celia

Depression....

I also thought that anybody could get over it, if they just wanted it bad enough...

Like I still believe that anyone can quit smoking cold turkey, if they really made the effort...

My depression started 5 years ago, maybe longer... winter depression, from November to March...

Now it's almost all year long. I still believe that if I really work at finding solutions to what seem to be my problems, everything will be fine... But I am not the only player... and the other players don't cooperate...

• Mimilly
    Mimilly
    change my own brain chemicals by exercising (yes I know it's a dirty word) but it works.

I have taken responsiblity for how I think and it works.

Crystal - Where do you get off assuming that those of us who ARE depressed don't exercise or think that it's a dirty word? Hmm?

And where do you get off assuming that we, the depressed, have NOT taken responsiblity for ourselves?

Perhaps it's time you took responsibility for your actions and realized how greatly you've offended those who struggle daily with depression.

Mim

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Crystal, do you write for the Awake! mag? With the insight you just showed you must have an Awake! brand college degree.

• Crystal
    Crystal

I do take responsibility for my actions.I believe that I have the freedom to express my opinions just like you have the freedom to express yours.When you take control of your thoughts others will not offend you... no matter what they say.You will just think ...hmmmm..that person has a different opinion than mine.

• ugg
    ugg

this is such a horrible thing to have written...i reveals ALOT about
    your heart condition...

TO offend and hurt so many people,,,and yet your only response is "I am
    right"

Wow!!!! what do you do in your spare time???? Walk on water!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit