There was this spider....

by Mimilly 20 Replies latest jw friends

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Here in Queensland Pope, we also have the bird-eating spider - and the cockies don't get much of a look in on them.

paduan

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

hmmm, just found out through a search that it's a myth about the dll being deadly.

• DJ
    DJ

Good thing Lilacs, 'cause I was going to my lawyer first thing in the morning to find out if the statute of limitations had run out for attempted murder. lol dj

• mustang
    mustang

A few years ago Dragon lady let out a blood-curdling scream. I thought she was being killed. I met her on the way in from the back yard. She pointed outdoors, said "its out there & its coming" and dashed into the bedroom. I went into the backyard and discovered a poor, red-brown Woolly Bear Caterpillar had trudged his way halfway across the back yard. I arranged for him to move into the neighbors yard.

I have since become the executioner for Tomato Hornworms.

Mustang

• COMF
    COMF

I encourage spiders. I have three on my front porch who are doing a great job of keeping the mosquito and moth population down to managable proportions. One of them built his web from the doorjamb to the door. He's a big ol' rascal (about three inches in diameter) and when I open the door his web stretches a bit, but he doesn't get spooked, he just rides it out. He's been there about a week. Terrorized the neighbor girls when they came selling school candy. They begged me to get him off, but I said no, he's my friendly doorman for greeting visitors.

Here are my friendly tenants. When I saw this thread, I went out and took pics of them. One is circled because he's a little hard to see against the night sky.

I also have a couple of praying mantises (praying manti?), one on the front porch and one on the back patio. Thank you, manti, thank you. Live long and reproduce well.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Hate spiders. I know- I'm bigger than they are. Have allergic reactions to their bites- swell up big time. Have arachniphobia big time. What the heck Mim- you supposed to capture him and let him out so that he can come back into your house to taunt you further.

I hate when you are trying to get one and they fall behind the couch or something. I kill them myself now but I remember when I used to demand to see "a body" when I'd send the guy in my life after one. Cuz guys will go after a spider for you half-heartedly and it falls behind the couch for them too and they just walk away-job done. LOL- no that spider is still in the house!

Sorry, but I don't like spiders. Snakes are pretty cool though. I'm not afraid of them. Was on the golf course yesterday morning and there was a baby snake on the green and I had to go pick it up and play with it.

I remember years ago a friend of mine had a taurantula (sp?) as a pet. He brought this girl home with him for the night and figured out in the middle of the night that the spider had gotten loose cuz her fingernails were embedded in his back and she was shrieking at the top of her lungs. Funny, he kept the spider and ditched her. Hmmmm.

XW

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

.... that would easily cover a quarter on my wall.

LMAO, that is just too funny. Good of you that you got 'h Mim!

Viv, of the "runs and screams for help when faced with a spider" - class

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Comf - I enjoy spiders OUTDOORS like yours are. Like I said - I name them! Their webs are amazing.

Viv - I damn near ran and screamed when the first attempt did absolutely notta to this thing. That has never happened before.

As for snakes - I love garden snakes and baby anacondas. BUT - if one came into my house like it owned it - that is when I would run and scream!

Cockroaches that large eh? I've seen them on the Discovery channel. I don't consider bugs that large 'bugs' - they need leashes and food bowls!

Ants - omg. I hate ants, mind you, they are better than fleas, unless they're fire ants. We started with the ant thing this summer and I promptly put out the 'food' that kills their queen. (evil snicker)

And Elsewhere - you had to add that song eh? You forgot Lil Miss Muffet.

edited to praise lilacs for the great and honorable deed! (skaaawish!)

Mim

Edited by - Mimilly on 16 September 2002 5:12:57

• Prisca
    Prisca

When I was growing up (in country Australia), I was used to coming into contact with spiders, both inside and outside the house. The most common one was a trananchula (sp?) that would come in whenever it was going to rain. He would disappear when it stopped raining. We wouldn't kill him, but sometimes try to catch him and put him outside.

Red-back spiders were pretty common in the garden, usually under corrogated iron or old bits of wood.

The most dangerous is the Funnel Web spider. It is a very aggressive thing - one once chased my mother around a room! They live generally on the Eastern coast of Australia.

I have only seen one in my life - and I hope that's the last one I ever get to see!!

• Englishman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit