There was this spider....

by Mimilly 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

.... that would easily cover a quarter on my wall. Now, I don't mind the arachnid critters outside, but when they cross that boundary into my home, they're fair game. If they are camped out on my window sill outside, I'll even name them - but not in my bedroom.

I figured I'd need something with oomph to get this one and chose my bus schedule book. I even made sure to get the right angle and a whole lotta swing and BAM! hit the dude/dudette dead on... except it never phased this thing one itty bit. It didn't run, but it did move enough so as to say - "haha".

I decided this needed heavy artillary and picked up a large hard covered book, just under 3 inches thick. Thwack and turn! For you spider lovers, he/she never knew what hit him/her. I am guilty of arachnid murder in the bedroom with a large book.

Yes, it rained today. I don't care. Yet, in hindsight perhaps I was a bit hard on the critter. I should've caught it and set it free outside, especially after it was completely unaffected by the first attempt at the death penalty.

How do you Aussies do it with those poisonous ones all over the place? (shudder)

Mim

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

They're not so bad - just have to keep an eye on the washing. The snakes are a bit of a trip though - one came in the front door of our new place, a brown, seven foot or so, strong, going along with it's head up - and you could see it had intellegence - not smart enough to stay out of our house though.

But what I really don't like is those yellow centepedes, about 10" long, and they crawl over your feet quickly in the dark - make you real sick if they bite.

Spiders? that's the least of our worries.

paduan

• DJ
    DJ

Mim,

I'm not an Aussie..but I like their shampoo. I HATE YUKKY SPIDERS.........and crickets too. I act like a lady in a cartoon and climb up on a chair and scream for my husband. He laughs at me then he saves me from the horror. I think that this fear may stem from childhood because my sister (jw) used to pull all of the legs off af daddy long leggers and throw the body down my shirt. Man, she was a mean sister.... still is. Poor ((((((mim))))))) I wish that I was with you so I could have helped by screaming.... luv, dj

• Scully
    Scully

I'm with you Mimilly..... Anything that has more than two legs (except for my cat and my dwarf bunny) or less than two legs (as in the case of snakes or worms or other such larvae) is fair game when it enters my territory. The more legs it has, the more motivated I am to get it the heck out of the house or make sure, beyond all reasonable doubt, that it's DEAD.

We had a few weeks during the early summer where we had to contend with an ant colony moving into the kitchen - they were everywhere!!! even IN THE DISHWASHER. I seriously was afraid I was going to lose it.... I can't handle having insects/ arachnids/ creepy crawlies of any kind in my house. I think it comes from the time when I had to move into the basement when I was 13 or so while my parents re-painted in my bedroom..... and woke up in the pitch blackness of the basement with a tickly, itchy sensation moving all over my skin..... I flicked on the lamp and saw that I was covered with ants!! I wanted to DIE right then and there.

Every single ant that's crossed my path since then has paid for it dearly.

Love, Scully

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I KNOW AN OLD LADY written by Rose Bonne and Alan Mills-
    1952 Peer International ( Canada) Ltd. SOCAN

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly
    But I don't know why she swallowed the fly
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a bird
    How absurd to swallow a bird
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
    But I don't know why she swallowed the fly
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a cat
    Imagine that. She swallowed a cat.
    She swallowed the cat to catch the bird
    But I don't know why she swallowed that fly
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a dog
    What a hog to swallow a dog!
    She swallowed the dog to catch the cat
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a goat
    Opened her throat and down went the goat!
    She swallowed the goat to catch the dog
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a cow
    I don't know how she swallowed the cow
    She swallowed the cow to catch the goat
    She swallowed the goat to catch the dog
    Perhaps she'll die

I know an old lady who swallowed a horse
    She's alive and well of course!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Up till a few days ago, i had two spiders in my apt. One was quite big. It got around. It managed to avoid my cat. One day it would be at one end of my apt, the next day, the other end. I havn't seen it since i vacuumed....Ooops. Or, maybe it's just hiding out. Time will tell.

SS

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

At least I know in North Australia (I think its called Queensland??), they don't have problems with spiders in the house. Because the spiders get eaten up by the 6 inch long cockroaches that live in the houses.

Blechhhh!

Pope

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Speaking of spiders, I killed a black widow at work last night. squashed it with my shoe. Better her than I

Edited to ad: DJ, it's a good thing that daddy long leg spiders mouths are to small because they are deadly. It's just that their mouths are to small to bite us.

Edited by - Lilacs on 16 September 2002 0:11:23

• glitter
    glitter

We've been getting huge spiders here (north of England) , *really* big ones with big fat bodies and looooong legs.

If there's one in the room and I can't find someone to move it, a cat doesn't eat it, or if it's on a wall so I can't throw a catalogue on it, out comes the hoover.

Not a fan of spiders.

Edited by - glitter on 16 September 2002 0:11:24

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I've always found that a size nine boot applied briskly to their rearward area works the best.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit