Authority and Submission in "Boston" ...

by refiners fire 19 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

LL - wow - I don't know what to say - faskinatin'!

Please don't tell me you're a Mormon now or something!

Dan, of the one-cult-in-my-lifetime-is-enough class

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

"One of these young guys was Kip McKeen.... he went back to Florida and usurped the leadership there. Chuck Lucas got df'd for "Pride" - whatever that meant..."

I guess what it meant is that there was a power struggle and Kip baby won the war huh?

"I was assigned a "prayer partner" with whom I had to meet several times a week, who had oversight responsibilities regarding my "spirituality" - in other words, I was supposed to confess every teensy thing imaginable: even my dreams at night were subject to scrutiny"...

they seem to have this thing about dreams. odd. Ive got some prayer request sheets where people reveal their inner thoughts and doubts and a lot of them make request for "a dream", as well,of course, as requests to be "more open" with their discipler. lol.

"Once a person actually stepped foot into the church or meeting room, they were bombarded with scores of other people who were intensely interested in the individual. A new college freshman would suddenly have zillions of best friends who were closer than family, and they engaged in zillions of "bonding" -like encounter-group type of things"

Pretty standard, but extreme, cult "lovebomb" there. Amazing how the same old methods keep resurfacing again and again aint it?.

"If someone slept more than like five hours a night they would be regarded as some kind of slacker. A great many of the young women I got to know developed bulimia; physical grooming and style was a continual "point" upon which to "work"..

And a bit of the ever reliable cult "sleep deprivation" for good measure. Sleep dep seems to occur in a lot of the real extreme cults. So I guess Kips organization is right up there with the worst of the worst. Hey Laura! That was a great post. Many thanks!!

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

LOL @ Dantheman

Uh, now I am a rastafarian, and in my spare time I worship chocolate and SSRI's

laura

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Glad I was able to give you a chuckle.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Prayer Request sheet from the Marietta House church. September 11, 1988:

Name withheld.....Wants to crucify her Worldly dreams and be a big dreamer for the Kingdom.

Name withheld....Requests prayers to trust God, have courage to put the past behind her, and be submissive to her disciplers advice.

Name Withheld....repents of fear in letting others know her, Repents of laziness, impurity, and not being a great disciple.

Name Withheld....Repents of not having dreamed, and not seeing a vision for her ministry. Wants to be open with her discipler

etc.... Hey Laura!! Whats all this "dream" stuff about??

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Refiners:

It's definitely a sign from god.

If your "heart" is so wrapped up in the [racking them in and being "good" at it] then, well, you are then in the "god speaks to you via dreams" class. Angels will also visit you, it will snow in the middle of summer if you pray hard enough, and all of your 'dreams' will come true

Edited by - lauralisa on 15 September 2002 21:56:7

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Thanks Laura. You have an acerbic style that is good fun. Anyway, I'll stop pestering you on this subject now. Lol unto you.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

i thought that this was such an interesting thread, especially LL's experience, but only 298 hits and completely buried now...

so...bttt you go

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

.."only 298 hits and completely buried now"...

Yeah Dan. I was having a look thru old stuff. Laura Lisas comments were most interesting. They should be read by all persons who have been involved in the cult milieu.

Dont see her around much any more.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

wow.....and I thought the jw's were bad! It amazes me that such cults exist and flurish. kool-aid any one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit