Authority and Submission in "Boston" ...

by refiners fire 19 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

In a thread earlier today a lady mentioned the "boston movement' as it is known. This movement is a splinter group from a larger recognized church, the Church of Christ, and the "boston" movement is now known as the "International church of Christ". It has been labelled a cult. People within the cult are worked to a frazzle, often preaching 15 hours a day, for the work of preaching or "desciplemaking" is the identifying mark of the true church in the last days. Or so they believe. It is about the churches view of Authority that I wish to speak here though. For it is the church view of authority that enslaves the followers into following unreasonable requirements.

Firstly the church believes that it has recovered "lost practices", practices ordained by God, and it has recovered lost structure. The structure of the original gospel church under Christ. Lost since the time of the disciples. These lost treasures are the restoration of correct church authority ( which bears a remarkable resemblance to an Authoritarian Pyramid), and the rerstoration of the practise of "discipling". "Discipling" is simply that each member of the church has a "discipler", an individual who is in superior authority over him . God himself has appointed the discipler in the sense that God has appointed the church, reestablished the structure of command, and the discipler is above the disciple in the structure, and hence, must be obeyed. This obedience is unconditional, even if the discipler behaves poorly, he is still to be obeyed. Even if the discipler is corrupt, he is to be obeyed. The logic is that, if he works not in a Godly way, God himself will remove him from his position. The disciple is required to obey, that is all. Failure to do this is labelled "rebellion against God". Ex Witnesses will be familiar with such reasonings.

Anyway, to an examination of Boston "authority". Quotes are from the "Boston Bulletin" . The Boston movements equivalent to the Watchtower.

The Boston Bulletin (BB) article, "The attitude of Jesus" (1988) brought forth the revelation that Christ was submitted in a position of "discipleship" to God . John 5 verse 19 quoted: " I tell you the truth, the son can do nothing by himself, he can only do what he sees the Father doing, because whatever the Father does, the son does also". The focus here is upon imitation" . The article also points out that Jesus was subject to sinfull man. Matthew 23 verse 2 is quoted "The teachers of the law and the pharisees sit in Moses seat, so you must obey them and do everything they tell you". Jesus may have rebuked the pharisees, but he never disobeyed them. They sat in their seats of power because God appointed and allowed them."

Where can such reasoning as this lead ?

From the BB article "Discipleship partners" (1988): "The person that you are discipling , must believe, must trust that you are out for God and their best interests. Because there is going to be some advice that they will not understand, But if they trust that you are out for God, then they will obey".

So understanding why you are doing a thing, following an instruction, is secondary to obeying the command.The example of Peter is quoted:

" Peters trust in Jesus led him to say, 'because you say so'...In order to be discipled by others, the disciple must have a trusting heart, one that listens and follows even when it doesnt comprehend or see the end result....Peter let down the nets not understanding what would happen because he trusted his teacher. Do you trust those discipling over you? Do you trust beyond the point of your own understanding?"

TheBB article "Authority and Submission" (October 1987) points out some things that submission is NOT. It says:

" Submission is not Agreeing, When one agrees with the decision he must submit to, then he does not have to really submit to it in any way. By definition, submission is doing something one has been asked to do that he would not do if he had his own way. But submission is not just outward obedience, It includes that, but it is obedience from the heart. It is a wholehearted giving up of ones own desires. Submission is not conditional. It does not depend upon whether the one commanding it is being fair.We submit to authority, not because the one in authority deserves it, but because his authority comes from God. Therefore, we are, in reality, submitting ourselves to God".

As the BB article "The attitude of Christ Jesus" (1988) said:

"If your house church leader came in and said ' I want everybody in here to wear a red shirt' then every body has to wear a red shirt. You dont care. You dont say, 'yeah, but can he tell me to do that'? What do you care if youve given up yourself? We arent going to sit here and rationalize and reason. What we are saying is that every person has given up themself, and thats the only way to be in the kingdom".

Surely brothers....monstrous reasoning.

Edited by - refiners fire on 15 September 2002 10:29:50

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Interesting post. This group sounds like the Watchtower on steroids.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Dan. "THE WATCHTOWER ON STEROIDS". That is a great analogy!! And very close to reality.

Here is a daily itinerary for a preacher on the "Hoper" program, a kind of Boston "Pioneer". Its from an instruction book published by the Boston Church called "shining like Stars" Ive abreviated it myself.

Page 208:

"Alarm goes off at 7 am..... 7.30- 8.30 'quiet time' ...studying the book of Acts..... 9.00am, breakfast..... 9.30, go to the zone "devotional" which starts at 10.00 am.Singing, prayer, mutual encouragement..... 12.00 - 1.30. BLITZ. (frantic preaching). Shopping malls, street corners..... 1.30, lunch till 2.30. be sure to invite restaraunt staff to church..... 2.30-3.00 follow up on contacts..... 3.30- 4.30. BLITZ (shopping mall)..... 4.30-5.30, BLITZ, "tubing" (Subway trains)..... 6.00-7.00pm. Continuous prayer chain.(group prayer for success in preaching)..... 7.30- 9.30pm. Door Knocking..... 9.30pm, "follow ups" calling people contacted..... 10.30, fellowship until 11.30pm..... bed.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

There is a lot of talk in Boston about "trust". To be a good "disciple" you have to trust your Discipler", the one above you in the chain of command. Heres a couple methods they use to train YOUNG KIDS in the church to prepare them to accept discipling when they come of age.....From a planning sheet for the kids class.....

"ACTIVITY - place household objects in a brown grocery bag. Seal top of bag, leave a hole big enough to put a kids arm in. Have the students sit in a circle. Tell them that to be good disciples we have to trust those Christians that are instructing us about how to follow Jesus. Tell them we are going to play a trust game.Each student must put their arm in the bag and feel the objects inside. Watch the students. See if they trusted you. Watch if any hold back. Were any afraid that you were trying to hurt them? Take these aside later and discuss it. Publicly praise those who trusted completely" ..

Can You believe this shit ?

Ive got another one along the same lines where the class teacher BLINDFOLDS each kid and leads them around the room, and up the corridor, etc. The teacher has to observe the level of trust in the kid. Whether the kid is a bit spooked.Whether the kid is hesitant. If he is, further work is required on the kid in the form of intimate trust building chats.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Can You believe this shit ?

Sadly, yes.

• SYN
    SYN

Geesh, I think the Tower has met it's match!

My cult can beat up your cult!

All in all, this is still pretty scary stuff.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

syn.

It is scary as you say. I encountered Boston recruiters once in the city of Melbourne Central,I knew they were Boston because they kept on yapping about "Disciple" this "discipling" that. I was in a magazine shop and my kid brother who was 19 at the time was outside waiting for me. I became aware that there were two young guys had started talking to him so I wandered out and inserted myself in the conversation.The young recruiters werent pleased to see me one bit. I was in my mid thirties, too OLD to be of interest to Boston. Anyway, they were inviting him to a church meeting , actually, they were inviting him to a movie and after movie snack. I said I was interested in attending. We stood there for the next 15 minutes with me trying to pin them down on where the meeting was, what time it would be held, and what their phone number was so I could ring them. They were full of excuses. "The phone got disconnected last night" ...." The meeting might be here, or maybe it will be there, so we cant give you a definite location"....."I might not be sleeping there tonight, so you cant call me"..."Well, we might be seeing this movie or that movie"..... Fact was, I just wasnt WELCOME to ATTEND. I didnt fit their recruitment target profile.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Refiners,

I was involved with this bunch of freaks for four years, during college, when the movement was in its infancy in Gainesville, Florida (OMG... 22 years ago...)

I knew Kip McKean sorta well back then along with his wife, SIL and BIL. He was pretty ambitious and a true baracuda; if someone objected to his absolute rule, their butts were toast. It's astounding to see how immense this freak empire he has built has become... truly destructive to many individuals both still involved and those who are recovering. If you want some more history (it's not currently available on the web- I've checked) or weird stories, let me know.

To leave, I had to pack my car with what I could fit into it and take off in the middle of the night. In some ways, they make the WTBTS cult seem pretty tame. A member must essentially become a slave of their "discipler" - who is in turn a slave to THEIR discipler... all the way up to the top. I guess Kip does not have a discipler?

It is a multi-level-marketing religion in that sense; the more converts you haul in, the more "spiritual" you are; more newbies are "assigned" to such people, and the more converts THEY haul in, well, on it goes...

It's weird; part of the reason I was intrigued with what I studied in becoming a jw was that it seemed to have so much room for "individual thought" (LOLOL) and it did not seem so "controlling"!

Cult-magnet Klass,

lauralisa

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

LAURA.WOW!!!!

Do tell something about the experience. Do you really have to fill out forms telling what time you went to bed at night? Ive only got this information out of an Apostate book and a couple of church books. Is my interpretation pretty right? Is my explanation of their view of Authority accurate? Ive understood that the disciple has to confess every doubt and thought to their discipler, is that true or not? Id love to hear a whacky story if youre in the mind. I, at least, will be fascinated to hear.....

One thing I would like to know....how do they arrive at the conclusion that EVENGELIZERS are the supreme ones in terms of Gifts in men?? Why are evangelizers more "spiritual" and higher up the ladder of holiness than Elders, or say, Prophets? Whats their reasoning on that.... Kip, last time I looked, was head of the world evangelism department, this making him the supreme authority in the church.

Edited by - refiners fire on 15 September 2002 18:21:23

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hey Refiners,

Oy, where to start?

I got out before it went "Boston", actually. The whole thing started in Gainesville by a man named Chuck Lucas/Crossroads Church of Christ. His style and reinterpretation of the Church of Christ's basic doctrines was so compelling that his small church grew to like, you know, one of those huge thousands-of-seats kind of churches. Many young men, desiring the status and power that comes with so many people hanging on to their every word (like Chuck!), became 'ministers in training', ultimately to go out and start their own extention-churches. I attended one of these in Tampa. It was a small group, and the leadership was very anxious to replicate the staggering growth that had occured in Gainsville, or at least compete with the others who had gone out to spread the "Crossroads" ministry in various college towns.

One of these young guys was Kip McKeen. He first went to a mainstream church of christ in a suburb of Philadelphia. They kicked him out for disrupting everyone. Then he went to Indiana. Then he went back to Florida and usurped the leadership there. Chuck Lucas got df'd for "Pride" - whatever that meant...

He ultimately went to Boston, and declared himself the much-needed saviour of the whole movement. Many things changed after that - all (I mean ALL) Crossroads' ministry-based churches were required to undergo an incredible "restructuring," or else be declared "apostate." All previously baptised individuals, no matter what positions they held, were required to do this "cost counting" ordeal - in essence, divulge every single weird, sinful, shameful thought that they'd every had, including that one time they ate one more M&M than they KNEW they should have. They had to re-evaluate whether or not their initial baptism was genuine or not, dependent upon whether they subscribed to Kip's new and improved interpretation of things, of course. I was long gone prior to this, but still kept in touch with several people who were involved via family ties, etc.

My experience was tame, compared to what things became later, but scary, nontheless. One was basically required to give over virtually everything they had, emotionally, physically, and every other way. I was told with whom to live. I was assigned a "prayer partner" with whom I had to meet several times a week, who had oversight responsibilities regarding my "spirituality" - in other words, I was supposed to confess every teensy thing imaginable: even my dreams at night were subject to scrutiny. Eventually, I became very "spiritual." I was very friendly, outgoing, articulate, attractive, etc. and lots of people responded favorably to my invitations to the plethora of meetings, "soul talks" (later called "bible discussions") and informal gatherings. Once a person actually stepped foot into the church or meeting room, they were bombarded with scores of other people who were intensely interested in the individual. A new college freshman would suddenly have zillions of best friends who were closer than family, and they engaged in zillions of "bonding" -like encounter-group type of things.

I had to organize my life such that I had to schedule things like laundry, showers, etc. Each meal was a "meeting" of sorts (I ended up with too many "prayer partners" of my own to take care of...) I started to see the light when it became evident that "spirituality" was determined by how "fruitful" one was; of course, the most charismatic, attractive, "successful" people were the most adored - the most spiritual. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to be my friend because I was, like, cool! Everyone wanted to be able to say they had lunch with.... it made me sick.

If someone slept more than like five hours a night they would be regarded as some kind of slacker. A great many of the young women I got to know developed bulimia; physical grooming and style was a continual "point" upon which to "work" for those who had issues with weight, "weird" accents, or any sexuality that made it through their clothing. White collar, prominent citizens were the most highly prized "fruit" along, of course, with celebrities. Yuck!!!!!

I had no life outside of this cult - (I had stupidly broken up with someone to whom I was actually engaged because he wouldn't buy it), so there was difficulty getting out. I ended up moving back in with my parents, the most vile people I've ever encountered; that's how desperately I wanted out. I "explained" my departure by saying my sister was sick. NOT a good reason, but I was 1000 miles away... When she committed suicide a few weeks later, I was told that grieving her death was "selfish" and "inward". I never called anyone in that church ever again after that.

From what I understand, life in the cult is exponentially more screwy than when I was involved. One is required to "confess" virtually every bodily function, sexual response, feeling, difficulty, or attitude with one's "discipler." One must give an account of how they spend each minute of every day - and since the discipler is intensely invested in the "fruitfulness" of their little captive as it is THEIR road to stardom if they "produce", if there isn't any fruit to speak of, there are rounds and rounds of discussions about "WHY" (the implication is: fruitful: God is approving; not fruitful: one is harboring secret sins, engaging in lust, is a big fat greedy slob, or just not "worth" pulling for).

One thing I would like to know....how do they arrive at the conclusion that EVANGELIZERS are the supreme ones in terms of Gifts in men?? Why are evangelizers more "spiritual" and higher up the ladder of holinessthan Elders, or say, Prophets? Whats their reasoning on that.... Kip, last time I looked, was head of the world evangelism department, this making him the supreme authority in the church.

Refiners, it's all about numbers. Numbers (converts) are tantamount to god's seal of approval, and are also your ticket to stardom: speaking assignments, groupies, all-expenses paid life, adoration, status.......... sorta like the governing body, n'est-ce pas? There is a lot of information available about how kidnapping victims get "bonded" with their captors; much of these brainwashing techniques are utilized in this twisted fashion, and the poor victim is left not knowing how to think, much less what to think.

It's astounding to me that this thing is allowed to continue without too much interference or media attention. Fascinating. Sickening.

Sorry this is so long - I could have written a book - there are so many situations worthy of exposure ! It has been a couple of years since I did any "checking up" on the Boston movement - would be interested in hearing about current news, though. Let me know if there is anything more I can tell you about.

laura

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit