TWICKENHAM CONVENTION

by ScoobySnax 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Does anyone remember attending the district conventions at Twickenham Stadium in London? Big north east south and west stands that were made of what looked like green corragated metal. I can always remember the delicious smell of coffee, doughnuts and bacon rolls, and queing up with 5p meal vouchers whilst dribbling all over my songbook. Last time I went a couple of years back, they'd built a whole new stadium, no bacon rolls, no 5p meal vouchers, and only a fleet of ice-cream vans outside. A "99" Mr Whippy with a flake is no substitute for a bacon roll. Still, at least I never dribbled on my songbook......... ahhh, happy days

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think the Borg have been using that venue a long time. they must have, because I was at a convention at Twickenham in 1962. I assume its the same venue.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I attended the 1993 Convention held there. We were in England for 3 weeks and that was a nice experience. For me, I was used to indoor conventions, as you know, this was outdoors and we had to bring umbrellas, which we used! It was unusual to see sisters as "attendants" for the elderly. Nice provision. And they served tea to the elderly during the whole program, which they never have here in the States. The elderly were much more taken care of and given the honor for gray headedness than here.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

That was WELL before I was born Refiners......................it couldn't have been you who jumped the queue that time then...

• ex borg
    ex borg

I grew up going to Twickenham conventions. At fourteen I managed to talk my way into the job of giving out the little cushions that you could rent for 10p. As people were coming and going all the time, I was required to sit at my post during the service. I could still hear the talks, as they had loudspeakers fitted everywhere, but at least I didn't have to sit still for hours at a time.

My one claim to fame was the time that Hank Marvin (The Shadows) pushed in front of me while in the line for a burger.

• Matty
    Matty

Twickenham rugby stadium has been used by the Witnesses to hold conventions since the early fifties. It is a very large stadium, and can hold upwards of 80,000 people all seated! However, the attendances at the Twickenham convention don't go above about 23,000 - so there's plenty of room for everyone!

It was unusual to see sisters as "attendants" for the elderly

The elderly can now sit in the big conference centre under the south stand out of the rain.

Sisters are now used universally as stewards and attentants at assemblies in the UK. I understand that some mysoginistic brothers have complained to bethel about it!

I could still hear the talks, as they had loudspeakers fitted everywhere

Not anymore they don't, they only have speakers in the stadium. The only way you can hear the programme outside is by bringing a personal FM radio with you.

Some people never actually leave their car, preferring to listen to the assembly with their car radio.

• Englishman
    Englishman

This pic that I posted under a caption thread is at Twickenham assembly, I'm 15, the year is 1961.

If you look in the background, you can make out the end of the East Stand, the E and T still visible. It's gone now, having made way for a more modern erection.

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Goodness me, Eman! You had hair back then!!

But what about that parrot? Were you trying to steal the thunder from the 'evil slave' giving out pamphlets there???

What did you do with it during the sessions? Or did you have it with you so's you could give the speaker 'the bird'?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Matty
    Matty

Ozzie, Twickenham is by far the best place for looking at birds, but not the ones with feathers!

• SYN
    SYN

EMan: A more modern erection? LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit