Kingdom Hall thinning out?

by OrangeBlossom 21 Replies latest jw friends

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

I was thinking about the post about Japan closing about 300 congregations in the past 3 years. I know that the hall I occasionally go to is usually less than half full compared to a few years ago. My mom says that the elders in her hall are trying to come up with ways to get more to attend as attendance is REALLY bad. I have heard that the Society is concerned in the lack of meeting attendance in the US. Has anyone else noticed a decline in their area? Has anyone heard of any congregations combing, i.e. 2 congregations downsizing to 1? BTW, I'm in Florida, just curious to know if it is going on anywhere else.

Have a great day, ya'll!!!

• normie67
    normie67

OB
    I have noticed a slight drop in my area(Mid West), mostly the young ones. They either drop out or judicial stuff. Seems everything in the Org is getting monotonous. The big highlight last year that everybody liked was the tract work!!! Change from the normal service!!!

normie

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

OrangeBlossom:

In Canada, meeting attendance is hammered into the flock at every assembly, and many times at the meetings themselves.

That's because attendance is running around 60-65% of publishers for most meetings. Sunday is better, but last I knew, it was still below 100%.

The society can't seem to get it into their heads that the meetings are dull, monotonous and repetitive. As usual, the publishers are blamed for having a bad attitude.

Expatbrit.

• jeffory
    jeffory

here in the seattle area meeting attendance is a chronic problem.
    last co's visit he said that we have lost 7 pub's to inactivity since last visit, and that he is seeing that in all the circuit.

• patio34
    patio34

The same here in Ventura, CA. It seems the ones that do attend always get the same lectures about the ones who don't attend. At least, when I was attending.

Patio

• Amazing
    Amazing

Oregon has the highest ratio of JW to the population. Many JWs over the last 10 to 15 years have moved to Oregon. Economy is good and the area is like paradise ... kind of a taste of the New System in pre-Armageddon thinking. Of any state, Oregon had about the best growth rate for JWs and meeting attendance.

Not long after I left the Big-O the attendance in my old congregation started to dwindle. Others who have left the organization in that state report similar results. I have heard some recent reports that my old congregation is about half the size it was when I left. They are mostly losing the teenagers as they become adults. I suspect that it is going to get worse. I wonder of the GB will stay with their ship as it sinks, like the good captians they are? - Amazing

• freddi
    freddi

Wow. Is this true? Membership going down.Kingdom Halls closing. This is news to me they are alive and kickin' in good ole New York.

Hi All!!!
    I am an inactive JW. The last time that I have been to a Kingdom Hall is about 11 yrs ago but I still try to keep up with what is going on with the society. I am happy to have found this site. Once again, "Hello to all."

• Simon
    Simon

Last time I went there were a lot more empty chairs than there used to be. Same old stuff being said, same old tired phrases.

• Mulan
    Mulan

A friend of mine, in a congregation North of Seattle, tells me about attendance after each meeting. It is a congregation with at least 100 publisher cards. Attendance is consistently less than 50 and once was 32. As another poster said, it is the fault of the congregation, and their attitude. The meetings, of course, have "rich spiritual food."

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

I haven't been to a meeting in many years, I think I will go and see what's up. Maybe I should just ask one of the elders and save myself from the questions I would get from the oldtimers.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit