What to do with the van I bought new

by mamashel 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mamashel
    mamashel

Ok, what would you do in this one? We bought a van 1 year ago this month. It is a 1995 Chevy conversion van, loaded, high top, tv, vcr and game station. It is really beautiful. BUT! The reason we bought it at the time was because we wanted to be impressive at the hall, you know, for field service and all. I think we might have used it 2 times. Anyway, my son is a co-signer on the van, and he still lives with us, but the biggest problem is it is running like sh--. It needs a rear end, which at the junk yard is about $300, i am already 30 over-due on the payment, another $650, (because will have to pay a double payment)and to make matters worse, we found out that the transmission is going bad because of the rear end and the transmission is about $1,000. Now hubby and son are both mechanics, and can do the work, but that is about $1,950 just to be able to drive it again.

My biggiest thing is, if it were only in my name, i would sent the damn thing back, but I dont want to hurt my sons credit. Even though he says it is not worth putting the money into it. (payment fell behind because of layoff, by the way, and they are back to work.)

So what are your suggestions? I believe because we have only had it a year, alot of these problems already existed, because when I took it to the shop for the rear end, they said it had alread been replaced before, and it was not done properly.

So let me know you feedback., Thanks

mamashel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If getting the van back in good running and good looking condition will cost $3000... that sounds like a deal to me. Especially considering that a new one will cost you $25,000.

When I think about my autos... I don't concern myself with the resale value. All I'm concerned with is whether is it working and in good condition. If repairing a car costs less than buying another one... then I will repair it.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Park it in your front yard and paint in big letters the silentlambs addy.

• LB
    LB

Well it is a used vehicle. There is no way of telling what problems the van had before you bought it or what problems it got after you bought it. Regardless it isn't the fault of whoever you bought it from. You are stuck with it. That happens with used vehicles all the time. I bought a truck that was 6 years old and had to put a new motor in it 3 months later. Oh well, that's the way it goes. Still cheaper than a brand new truck and that's why I usually buy used. It's a craps shoot isn't it.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Elsewhere: Well said.

Hey, I drive:

1967 VW Bus....I have put over $10,000 into it (paint, drive train, ect.,), would not trade it for the world.

Just did a three state run in it! No payments.....tags are $45 in California...Insurance is $175 a year...

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Check the warranty/guarrantee . Does it cover the faults?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    1967 VW Bus....I have put over $10,000 into it (paint, drive train, ect.,), would not trade it for the world.

Flat 4, horizontally opposed, air-cooled?

Engine out in 20 minutes?

Oh I know those motors!

Englishman, shag-mobile fan.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Right on E-Man! SOmething about those air cooled VWs!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Don't let it affect your credit, with or without son. It will affect you for years. It will certainly affect your ability to get another car, interest will go up, let alone getting financing for anything in the near ( several years) future.

• Mary
    Mary

Get a gallon of gasoline, drive it out in the country, light a match and: KA-BOOM!!!!

Just make sure you tell the insurance company you had a Van Gogh in the trunk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit