WT. Pays $30,000 Pollution Fine

by JWrobot 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nassau
    Nassau

THAT'S FINE

OHH...THAT HURTS!!

Maybe they did not understand what happened!

Edited by - nassau on 18 September 2002 12:2:47

• footprints
    footprints

There is no information on this thread as to what the $30000 was for. Was it a developers fee or was it a law they broke? If so can you tell us what they did? Were they convicted in a court of law? I would like to know the details.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

A shale mine? Just what the hell do they need a shale mine for?

Col. Bendrr, [classified], puzzled

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Footprints: The title of this topic is: "Wt. Pays $30,000 POLLUTION Fine." So, the fine is for POLLUTING. Also, there are 2 or 3 other threads with this topic, where you can gather further details.

Grits

• Nassau
    Nassau

I know that they use do a lot of dirty things, yeah... but can anybody tell me what or how they pollute?

Thanks.

Nassau

• Nassau
    Nassau

THAT'S a real fine FINE!!

Maybe they did not understand what really happened!

• avengers
    avengers
    A shale mine? Just what the hell do they need a shale mine for?

mining shale?

• Gerard
  • avengers
    avengers
    306 3 0227 WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY SHALE MINE 900 RED MILLS ROAD WALLKILL NY 12589 914-744-2041 DENNIS OSTENDORF SHALE A 3 ULSTER SHAWANGUNK
  • ballistic
    ballistic

For the uninformed - as I was (this is from a New Zealand university):

Shale is a variety of mudstone, a sedimentary rock. It is very fine grained papery or slabby rock which formed by settling of mud in water followed by burial of the mud by other layers of sediment. The increased temperature and pressure associated with burial drive out the water and compact the sediment into rock. The characteristic platy or papery fracture which distinguishes shale from other mudrocks reflects the slow layer by layer accumulation of clay particles on a quiet lake bottom or the floor of the sea in areas where water currents and burrowing organisms (which would destroy the delicate bedding) are rare or absent. Shales are of interest because they commonly contain well preserved fossils of delicate floating or swimming organisms (e.g. fish, leaves, diatoms, etc).

Most shales have no direct uses, but they are nevertheless important as containing the source material from which oil and natural gas were formed (after formation, these hydrocarbons largely migrate away from the shales and accumulate in sandstones and limestone). However an unusual variety of shale known as "oil shale" may be mined for its hydrocarbon content. In New Zealand, oil shales are known from Nevis Valley, Waitati Valley, and Orepuki. Another unusual type of shale, diatomite, is made up mostly of diatoms (microscopic plants) and is sometimes mined for pozzolan, paint, and other uses. Some diatomite occurs in an old lake deposit near Middlemarch, Central Otago.

Edited by - ballistic on 12 October 2002 4:23:17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit