Similar religions to JW

by Quincy 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quincy
    Quincy

OK everyone....I have noticed that there are a few other religions out there similar to the JW's.....For example...I have a friend who has a sister that who belongs to a non-denominational christian church.....She feels that her Church is the "only way" to God...and also too it seems as though she looks down on anyone who does not go to her church....they have weekly bible studies on monday or tuesday nights...they even have a "field service" in which they go out to neighbors trying to get them to come to that particular church....Does anyone else out there know about the other ones similar to the JW? Q

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

We have had Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints here a few times.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I know a guy who was raised in a church that "disfellowshipped" people. I can't help but wonder if it is a splinter group from the WTS.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

One that I learned about not too long ago is the International Church of Christ, which was originally based in Boston.

A co-worker had been approached by a couple active in this church, and from her initial description, I thought she was getting involved with JWs. They conduct Bible studies in-house with interested people, they proselytize whenever and wherever they are, they have multiple meetings at their church. They also have similar beliefs about judicial proceedings within the group, and they disfellowship errant members.

Additionally, they believe that they are the "one, true religion", and they now have support groups on the internet for former members trying to break free, and safe houses set up for those who are trying to get away, but who are being harrassed by family members or officials of the church.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hi Quincy!!

I know a Deacon in our church who has a sister who is involved with a "christian" group that sounds almost extremist in nature. They live sheltered up in the mountains of some state down south. Can't think of their name, but they definetly think they are the only true religion and look down on anyone else who isn't with them. It is scary, they live ready to fight (with guns and all!) when "Armageddon" happens! In 1999, they sold all their possessions and horded food expecting the end the minute the clock struck midnight.

Nikita

• hooberus
    hooberus

Probably the most similar group would be the seventh-day adventist church, which came out of the "second advent movement", the same movement which eventually spawned the watchtower magazine.

Some similaries:

1. Multiple specific dates set for the end of the world. I may post these later.

2. The "end" will come within the lifetime of the "1844 generation" (Wow- thats familar! JWs say 1914 generation)

3. The initial prediction of Christs return to rule the EARTH in 1844, later changed to an "invisible" presence in HEAVEN. (Same as the JWs only different year)

4. Churchs rejected for not accepting 1844 date. (JWs reject churchs for not accepting 1914 date).

5. Their church alone is composed of the remnant of the 144,000 from the book of Revelation.

6. The early adventists took no "name" and had no "organization" later they got both of these. (same as JWs who initially rejected the concept of a distinctive name and organization, and who now relish in these things.

7. extensive emphasis on chronology.

8. all former members "apostate"

The above information can be found in the early chapters of an older book called "Seventh-Day Adventism Renounced" If you can get a copy of this book and can go though some points of it with a JW (they shouldn't object to this as it doesn,t specifically mention their group) it should prove DEVASTATING to the mind of the JW.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Those are all points similar to Christianity itself. It was Jesus who said "I am the way and the truth and the life no man comes to the Father except through me." (Exclusive claim to truth)

It was Paul who said "Remove the wicked man from among yourselves." (Disfellowshipping)

The early Christians preached "from house to house." ( Community Ministry)

Those who left were termed apostates and shunned. ("Do not share a meal with such a man or say a greeting to him.")

They were always looking for Jesus to come back soon. ("Little children, it is the last hour...Antichrist is already here." In Revelation Jesus says "I am coming quickly.")

• Lieu
    Lieu
    2. The "end" will come within the lifetime of the "1844 generation" (Wow- thats familar! JWs say 1914 generation)

3. The initial prediction of Christs return to rule the EARTH in 1844, later changed to an "invisible" presence in HEAVEN. (Same as the JWs only different year)

Actually, those are the exact same dates Russell looked to before changing to 1914, 1915. There is no difference in the time chronology or concepts between the early JW's and Adventists.

They're all from the same 'branch'.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think there's a religon founded on Charles Russell's teachings. I ran across a couple out in service back in the day. They reject Jehovah's Witnesses as having fallen away from the "true" teachings. I don't remember what they're called, but I think they're still around.

• ISP
    ISP
    Similar religions to JW

....0/100 prophetic batting average.....

....23,000+ paedophile members

Nope......not too many.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit