"They streamed across the bridge to Brookl...

by LDH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

The History channel had a Spt. 11 show on last night, and most of it was the same ol' same ol'---but something did catch my attention.

Video was being shown of people evacuating lower Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge was FILLED to capacity with people.

The voice over says, "People fled every way they could--they streamed across the bridge to Brooklyn."

Now, I'm wondering, if you had just left Ground Zero and you were one of the ones runningon the bridge--and you saw a big sign that said--

READ GOD'S WORD THE BIBLE DAILY

would you assume that the building the sign was mounted on was a safe haven? Someplace that you could run to for comfort? Perhaps for years you ignored the kooks knocking on your door, but surely today you could use some comforting words, and your thoughts perhaps would have turned to God. Surely someone could explain?!?!?

Lest you think people wouldn't have the time to think of God during such a tradgedy, the video showing Ladder 6 in the WTC tower also depicted the Fire Dep't chaplain. He was praying with all the fervor anyone could muster. He wasn't praying for himself, he was praying for the others. He didn't even realize the journalist was filming him. The South tower collapsed, and the sheer magnitude of debris turned the lobby of the North tower into Hell Zone.

All of the firemen from that house lived, except for the Chaplain. He died right there, Ground Zero, praying for God's mercy on all men out loud. His men went and got him and laid him on the altar at the church around the corner. His death certificate read #00001--the first official casualty of the terrorist strikes.

I'm just wondering how, one year later, the Bethelites reconcile the fact that they didn't help their fellow men. From what I remember, they were told to lower the blinds and get back to work. Did Sept. 11 cause any of them to leave Bethel? Has their faith been shaken?

Who was the Good Samaritan on that day? Jehovah's "true worshippers" or the "heathenistic heroes " who died trying to save their fellow man?

Lisa

• freedom96
    freedom96

It would be interesting to hear what the Bethelites have to say for themselves, when such a tragedy accured in their own back yard. From what I have seen, they are about the most un-charitable group I have ever seen. Businesses and corporations have been much more giving than the Society, let alone other religious or charitable groups.

It would be interesting to hear of any accounts of what exactly did transpire at Bethel that day.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I was checking posts on the Witnessesonline.com site that date. What I read there sickened me. One post in particular had an account quoted from someone who was at Bethel. With regard to the "help" and "comfort" given out to the people pouring into Brooklyn was this statement (I did screen prints of the actual post so that I wouldn't forget the "loving attitude" displayed):

All Bethelites were to 'stay' in the building they were in until it ws time to go home. Until then...no walking between the buildings and all buildings are locked down--for security. (They had one man on the street run in for 'safety'...and they don't want any 'strangers' coming in!).
  • TR
    TR

You'd think that if Bethel opened their doors, especially at such a close proximity, the news would've covered it. There were all sorts of stories of heroes, compassion, caring, selfless acts of kindness and such. Even a story about the old St. Paul's church, and how it was being beseiged with firefighters and police sleeping in the pews. But NOTHING about the WORLD HEADQUARTERS OF THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY.

TR

Edited by - TR on 12 September 2002 12:8:44

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Gee I wonder if those at ground zero were thinking as they were crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, (and in plain sight of the CENTER OF TRUE WORSHIP[tm]) that wow, just....wow, maybe I should have taken the Watchtower & Awake when I had the chance. This has to be Armeggdon. JW's were right!

Dismembered

• Flip
    Flip
    All Bethelites were to 'stay' in the building they were in until it ws time to go home. Until then...no walking between the buildings and all buildings are locked down--for security. (They had one man on the street run in for 'safety'...and they don't want any 'strangers' coming in!).

Whether the above statement is true or not, thankfully the little Cathedral adjacent to the WTC (World Trade Center, not to be confused with the WatchTower Corporation) didn't follow a similar directive to close their doors and cease to be a haven.

Similarly, no doubt across the bridge, every Bethalite they could muster working that day at Watchtower Central must have mobilized and set up tables, chairs and blankets to help those immediately in need, such as children and the injured with simple things like using the washrooms, providing water for drinking and cleanup or offering phones to contact families and friends to arrange a rallying point for pickup.

But you know how the Watchtower Corporation brags that it doesn't boast about its charitable works.

• bigboi
    bigboi

So they just shut closed the blinds and shut their doors to all the thousands of ppl that could have been assisted that day!

They have rooms, a dining area and probably all kinds of space that could have at least been offered. All that talk about taking advantage of opportunities to witness. BS!

ONE.....

bigboi

Edited by - bigboi on 12 September 2002 13:47:35

• somebody
    somebody

I remember reading what a JW wrote on the dateline discussion board after they aired the show on pedophiles being protected by the WBTS's "aggressive policy". One JW male typed out that none of it was true and they are the most loving people on the earth and added in the "we were the first on the scene of the 9/11" he even said for anyone who didn't believe that, then feel free to visit any kindom hall and to see for themselves. Which is what harold and I did. We taped the loving instruction on how to treat relatives as if they were decivers and the antichrist, as you know.

Anyway...What he meant by "we were the first on the scene of the 9/11", I can't say. I can only surmise. He never said what "they" did. He just said they were the first on the scene.

peace,

somebody

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

One of the missing fireman was a JW, so maybe the whole organization is taking credit for the actions of one brave man.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Anyway...What he meant by "we were the first on the scene of the 9/11", I can't say. I can only surmise. He never said what "they" did. He just said they were the first on the scene.

And the first to leave....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit