The Watchtower vs. The Bible

by UnDisfellowshipped 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here is a list of contradictions between what the Watchtower Society says and what the Bible says:

The Watchtower says that Judas Iscariot left the Lord's Evening Meal (Memorial) BEFORE Jesus instituted the New Covenant and passed the Wine and Bread.

What does the Bible say?:

Luke 22:13: They went, found things as He had told them, and they prepared the Passover.
    Luke 22:14: When the hour had come, He sat down with the Twelve Apostles.
    Luke 22:15: He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer,
    Luke 22:16: for I tell you, I will no longer by any means eat of it until it is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God."
    Luke 22:17: He received a Cup, and when He had given thanks, he said, "Take this, and share it among yourselves,
    Luke 22:18: for I tell you, I will not drink at all again from the fruit of the vine, until the Kingdom of God comes."
    Luke 22:19: He took Bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it, and gave to them, saying, "This is My Body which is given for you. Do this in memory of Me."
    Luke 22:20: Likewise, He took the Cup after Supper, saying, "This Cup is the New Covenant in My Blood, which is poured out for you.
    Luke 22:21: But behold, the hand of him who betrays Me IS WITH ME ON THE TABLE. (NOTICE -- This is AFTER Jesus started the New Covenant and passed the Wine and Bread!)
    Luke 22:22: The Son of Man indeed goes, as it has been determined, but woe to that man through whom He is betrayed!"
    Luke 22:23: They began to question among themselves, which of them it was who would do this thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Watchtower Society says that Jesus became "The Christ" at His Baptism.

Luke 2:10: The angel said to them, "Don't be afraid, for behold, I bring you Good News of great joy which will be to all the people.
    Luke 2:11: For there is born to you, this day, in the City of David, a Savior, WHO IS Christ the Lord.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can think of any others, please add them.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

"The Watchtower Society says that Jesus became "The Christ" at His Baptism." 
    Can you provide a quote from a recent Watchtower publication?
  • mamashel
    mamashel

The watchtower and the "live forever in paradise" book quote that Jesus is the archangel Michael.

Jesus had the power to rebuke the devil on many occations, however, in the book of Jude, Michael was debating over the body of moses with satan, and he had to call upon God to rebuke satan. So if they were the same person, why did one have more power than the other?????:

shelley

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hi JosephAlward!

Thanks for your Post! :-)

I will try to look up the Watchtower Publications that say that Jesus became The Christ at His Baptism.

Here are a few Watchtower Quotes:

Holy Spirit - The Force Behind the Coming New Order Book (1975), Page 90:

"When did this Jesus become actually 'Christ the Lord'? Not on the eighth day of his birth, when he was circumcised. He was not anointed on that day. It was when he was thirty years old."

Holy Spirit - The Force Behind the Coming New Order Book (1975), Page 113:

"Jesus was anointed with holy spirit after his baptism in water and he thus became Christ or Anointed One, so too with his disciples."

Insight on the Scriptures Book Volume 2, Pages 1000-1001:

"Jesus of course, continued to be God's son when born as a human, even as he had been in his prehuman existence...However, about 30 years after his birth as a human, when he was immersed by John the Baptizer, God's spirit came upon Jesus and God spoke, saying, 'You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you'...Evidently Jesus, the man, was then 'born again' to be a spiritual Son with the hope of returning to life in heaven, and he was anointed by spirit to be God's appointed king and high priest."

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 12 September 2002 2:16:57

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

shelley,

Thanks for Posting, and that is A GREAT POST INDEED!

There is NOT ONE SCRIPTURE in the ENTIRE BIBLE that says that Jesus is Michael!

I will post some more about this soon.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here is another BIG CONTRADICTION between the Watchtower and the Bible:

The Watchtower Society says that Jesus Christ was Resurrected as a "Spirit Creature" and that He no longer had His Body because Jehovah (The Father) "zapped" His Body out of existence.

John 2:18: The Jews therefore answered Him, "What sign do You show us, seeing that You do these things?"
    John 2:19: Jesus answered them, "Destroy this Temple, and in three days I will raise It up."
    John 2:20: The Jews therefore said, "Forty-six years was this Temple in building, and will You raise it up in three days?"
    John 2:21: But He spoke of the Temple of HIS BODY.
    John 2:22: When therefore He was raised from the dead, His Disciples remembered that He said this, and they believed the Scripture, and the Word which Jesus had said.

Luke 24:36: As they said these things, Jesus Himself stood among them, and said to them, "Peace be to you."
    Luke 24:37: But they were terrified and filled with fear, and supposed that they had seen A SPIRIT.
    Luke 24:38: He said to them, "Why are you troubled? Why do doubts arise in your hearts?
    Luke 24:39: See My hands and My feet, that it is truly Me. Touch Me and see, for A SPIRIT doesn't have flesh and bones, as you see that I have."
    Luke 24:40: When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.
    Luke 24:41: While they still didn't believe for joy, and wondered, He said to them, "Do you have anything here to eat?"
    Luke 24:42: They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.
    Luke 24:43: He took them, and ate in front of them.
    Luke 24:44: He said to them, "This is what I told you, while I was still with you, that all things which are written in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms, concerning Me must be fulfilled."

Also, the Watchtower likes to say that Jesus could not have taken His Body into Heaven because it is written "Flesh and Blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God", BUT NOTICE, Luke 24:29 says that Jesus' Resurrected Body was FLESH AND BONES, not Flesh and Blood!

• Augustine
    Augustine

The belief that Judas left Jesus and the other 11 disciples before the institution of the new covenant has been the "traditional" interpretation by most Church Fathers (and conservative commentators). The following is one modern example by a conservative, Evangelical scholar:

"21. 'But look! The hand of the man who is betraying me is with me on the table.' That in all probablility what is here recorded took place before the institution of the Lord's Supper is confirmed by the following facts:

a. In the somewhat more chronologically arranged Synoptics...b. In John's parallel report concerning the exposure of the traitor, Jesus leaves the upper room immediately after Jesus told him, "What you are doing, do it faster' (John 13:21-30)..." (William Hendriksen, "The Gospel of Luke", p. 964)

Aug

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Aug,

way to go in pulling out ol' William Hendriksen. I have half of his and Simon Kistamakers Commentaries on the NT.

On the issue of salvation UD, you should do a study of the WT vs the Book of Romans, well lets make it the whole bible.

Well the WT tower does not have an infusion of grace theology like Rome, they do contend that the grace of God alone is insufficient to save.

You will see that the first nine chapters of Romans goes directly against WT soteriology (doctrine of salvation)..

You see the WT is an eclectic mix of Arianism, Socinianism, Arminianism, 19th Centery revivalism, 19th Centery Adventist movement, Sentementalism of Romantism, and a slight mix of dispensationalism (20th Centery evangellical error)

go here http://www.xworld.org/DR/

this posting was sponcered by John Murry

part of the equal time campain,

jr

Edited by - clash_city_rockers on 12 September 2002 20:43:57

• pateaton
    pateaton

Hi Shelly, about Jesus as Michael, as Michael he was more powerful.

Strange as it may sound, Jesus the man had no power at all. All the mighty works were done by the spirit of Jehovah within him. This is explained in John 5.19. and John 3.34.

-Pat.

• pateaton
    pateaton

Good point Aug, No. Flesh and Blood cannot enter the kingdom, but as you say, Flesh and Bones apparently can.

-Pat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit