DID you pass "up' er by the contribution box

by imanaliento 19 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

The fact that most ppl gave little or nothing never surprised me. In most churches, the jw's are no different in this regard, the amount of money collected as an offering is directly tied into how good the service is. For the most part, jw servoces are boring. Not that most jw's are the type that want to hoop and holla at a church service. Hoewever, even the dub meeting parts are often sloppily put together and poorly demonstrated. For instance at the Public talk, u could have ur feelings affirmed by the contents of the contribution box that a 'good' talk had been given. When ppl feel better or feel they're gettin somethin out of a church then they'll be more prone to give more.

• stichione
    stichione

Although I go to meetings on Sundays only, it's two years I don't put any more contributions for myself and my family. The bastards don't deserve it!

• dsgal
    dsgal

A couple of bucks only when they gave a reminder talk.

• Dawn
    Dawn

You guys are so funny!!

I never contributed either - couldn't afford it. I was a single parent working a very low income job with no child support. Since they NEVER helped me out financially I couldn't help them out.

Do contribute to my new church now because they do a lot of great things for kids - I like to keep those projects going. I also give to charities monthly now - something I NEVER did as a JW - in fact, it never even crossed my mind. Isn't that sad.

• animal
    animal

I can go one better.....

As a teen, and planning my escape from home, I had the opportunity to work on our hall in Drexel Hill, PA. We were replacing the roof, I think, back in '72. I was the gopher... go for this, go for that.... and with each time I had to go down the ladder, thru the hall, and outside, I would reach in and grab a few bills. Of course, I couldnt take them all, just the $20 ones.... I did this for the few weeks we were helping out, and had a nice bankroll till I was done. Not long after that, I split for better places and a better life... sorta.

Animal

• Xena
    Xena

I was never a big contributer either. But after my parents died and we went thru their accounts....well my dad used to give a LOT. lol I figured he gave enough for the BOTH of us!

I know my oldest sister has slotted a big chunk of money for the society when she dies....probably just wants to be sure her little apostate sister doesn't get her hands on any of it

• Prisca
    Prisca

In the 30 years I was a JW, I probably didn't put in more than $100 the whole time I was a JW, and that's including one donation of $50 I put in once, out of guilt for not contributing as often as I was supposed to!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There must be a fair number of wealthy JW's who regularly contribute big $$ to the org, because I think the R&F generally don't give very much. I sure didn't. I've heard stories about how they gather like vultures when they get wind that brother or sister old-timer is in failing health ("you have made provisions in your will to support Jehovah's earthly interests, haven't you Brother X?")

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I never gave much either, but I was pioneering and spent about $120-150 a month in gas so I thought well there's my contribution. I flet confident God knew, I didn't worry about it.

I hated sitting next to the boxes too at the conventions ohh sooo boring, and I never saw any of the younger ones contributing either ......

Ven

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Mrs Ozzie and I were only talking about this on the weekend with some fellow posters.

All of us agreed that we seldom gave in the Contribution Boxes at the Hall, but since our attending gatherings at Christian churches, halls etc we like (no, love!) to.

Why's that, do ya think?

"Out of the heart's abundance" perhaps?

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit