Open Letter to the Board

by searcher 31 Replies latest jw friends

• searcher
    searcher

I am not, and never have been a JW. My interest in them started 1 year ago when I started to 'study'.

Going on to the internet, and searching ' Jehovah's Witnesses' led me to this board, (among others). I was shocked to read some of the horror stories about how people have been hurt by this company, ( as I found it to be). I became determined that I would make it my ' mission' to learn all that I could about the company and warn anyone that i could reach, about the consequences of joining this group. I obviously would not be good at counselling JWs or ex-JWs as I cannot relate to their experiences.

For quite a while I was a lurker, trying to get the mood of the board, and gaining an overall view, before I posted anything. I was here a long time before I went into chat!

Who/what am I, and why do I want to help people?

Short? Bio. (there is more much more)

I am a 49 year old husband/father/grandfather, and am on my 3 rd marriage. I was married ( with a ceremony) when I was 20, I was immature, in the army, and serving in Northern Ireland, I married the wrong girl, we were not suited and with being on the streets by day and the tension at home by night, after 8 months I ended up in an army mental institution, they called it nervous depression. Wife went home to mother, divorce followed. I was in depressed denial for a long time.

In 1976, no longer in the army, I met Pauline, we settled down together and she became the mother of my three children, she already had a two year old when we met. In January 1990, Pauline slipped on the ice and broke her leg, 1 month later I was away from the house taking the children to the school bus, when I returned and found her on the floor, I was breathing for her for 20 minutes till the ambulance came, but she was dead at the scene, (embolism). I screamed myself to sleep for a long time, but had to look at the good side (the children).

I could not live alone, so when I re-met a friend of ours, Denise, (we had moved from the area) we started a relationship (end of 1990) and she moved in with me, bringing her 2 year old son. For over two years after she moved in, I was terrified of her falling and watched her constantly when she was on the stairs, and when it was slippery out. She is still here, we have a good relationship

It does help, of course, that Denise was a friend of Pauline's, so that when I cry for Pauline (still) Denise understands.

In 1992 I became partially disabled and unable to work, and as I have always been active, slowing my life down to cope with the pain was very difficult, I also had to deal with the tremendous guilt of not being able to support my family and having to live off Denise. I have been in constant pain since.

For 3 years I was extremely depressed, feeling totally useless.

I then became interested in religion, and started going to various denominational churches to see what they had to offer, this is how the JWs come into the picture.

Back to the board.

I saw that there is a lot of information to be gathered here, also good links to other places, so I returned time and again, gathering information. I reasoned that in helping others, I could help myself (not useless anymore).

I eventually plucked up the courage to go into chat, for I saw that it would be helpful to me to meet the people for a hopefully greater understanding of the ex-JW situation.

That is where the problem lays.

Most of the time, when I turn up in chat, everyone leaves, other times the subject is between friends who have an knowledge of the subject/area being talked about, when I do comment, I am made to feel frozen out ( I have noticed that this happens a lot to certain others as well, so I do not feel singled out)

I wrote a piece some time back and I will include it here to illustrate how I feel.

THE PHOTOGRAPHER

There once was a man who lived in an area where he did not have many friends and, although the people he met on his daily walks were polite and friendly, there was very little communication apart from general chat about the weather and other such pleasantries.

Now this man had always had an interest in photography, and when his financial circumstances allowed, he bought a camera and various pieces of equipment. He bought what books he could afford, and also magazines, and began to study.

After some time he realised that, although he was learning a lot, he would need the company of other, more experienced photographers to progress so he looked around the area and located a PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB.

Going along to the club on their meeting night, he asked if it was ok to come in, and was told, All are welcome. This was great; this was what he had been looking for, people with a common interest, among whom he could find some friends so that they could support each other, and help each other with photography problems, and even other problems, when the strength of the friendship allowed.

During the meeting he noticed that all the people there were standing around in little groups, and hearing parts of their conversation he could not help but wonder why most of them were not talking about photography. He also wondered when someone was going to talk to him and encourage him to participate further in the club. He expected this because surely, if the club members did not encourage newcomers, then they would be put off, not join, and the club would surely die.

Having listened to a lecture by a professional photographer, the same little groups formed, and similar conversations ensued. Still no one spoke to the newcomer.

The man attended several meetings of the club over a period of time, always with the same results, so eventually, he stopped going because he came to the conclusion that.

WE HAVE OUR OWN FRIENDS, AND YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM.

Thank You All

And goodbye.

searcher.

• ugg
    ugg

searcher,,,,please do not feel this way....everybody has their
    personalities,,,,some times,,,it just takes awhile...everybody here is
    real nice,,,,go into chat,,,and just say how you are feeling!!

express that you are lonely or just want to talk,,,,nobody will ever
    turn you away....there are very nice people here....try to give it
    another chance....

it could be that nobody knew you wanted to visit...some times people
    just follow along...i have done that...

stick around,,,you might be surprized at what you uncover...

• Farkel
    Farkel

searcher,

: Most of the time, when I turn up in chat, everyone leaves,

It was your breath. It was definitely your breath. You need a new mouthwash, that's all.

Don't complicate things.

Farkel

• wasasister
    wasasister

Thank you for your sincere expressions, and for leaving your e-mail open.

Wasa

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Searcher -

If I had been in chat with you and you had said that you needed to talk about ______, then I would have listened and responded. I wait for people like you to come into chat. But, until you do, I mostly joke and laugh with the people who are there. Most people in the chat room here are very empathetic...but you have to introduce what's on your mind, or we'll never know.

((Hugs to Searcher))

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I'm sorry that you feel you are being ignored in chat. It is not the intention of people in chat to exclude anyone. Even when I first go in, I feel lost. When there is a large group there can be so many conversations going on and it's hard to follow who is coming in and who is going out. I also never leave because a certain poster has entered.

Sometimes you have to SPEAK UP to get noticed. You know, kinda like what you did here .

Hope you give us another chance.

Andee

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Searcher, so sorry about your lose. Weither we are JW, disfellowshipped , disassociated, or never been JW's , we all share many common bonds. Sad to say but one of the bonds we all share here is grief.. and it helps to be here to express it. Some days are good , silly fun days and others you cry. But the support is here. Sometimes the chat room can get crazy,,,,,,,, I find that expressing my feelings on the board is my favorite way to communicate. Please know that you are being thought of right now,, ,,,

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Searcher,

I am so sorry that you feel left out. First time I was in chat, I felt overwhelmed and left out too. I didn't return until much later, and quite enjoy it now. I agree with Kaethra, just speak your mind, cause we DO care.

You have told a heartbreaking story, and I would like to thank you for it. It made me realise just how precious what we have, is.

Hugs, Viv.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

gee searcher don't feel bad about chat or take it personal.

There is plenty to do on the board, chat isn't everything.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Seeker,

You seem to be making a quick judgment about this. There is no need to take this perceived slight so personally.

When I am in chat and new people come in, we all say hi and welcome.

Did you just wait for somebody to speak to you? Why don't you go into chat and make an effort? You might want to introduce yourself.

If you want to leave, fine. But it is your loss.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit