Out to dinner with JW'S

by Searchin50 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

dinner with some friends.Now it was nothing fancy, as they are way to frugal

to spend any money, there was Elders, wives,Mothers etc.So when we

enterd the restaurant, there was a big spectacle made about where we sit

of course, this was without reservations there was about 11 of us.

Anyway we were seated with everyone bitching about our seats

they just couldn't stand so much smoke, but these were the only seats

available. Did i mention there was a cocktail bar? So the server came

and is taking our drink order, well naturally everyone says oh just water

for me. My Husband is last and he says, bring 2 doubel brandy manhattans

a hush fell over our bunch, people were really staring at us now.

So anyway after prayer we finally begin eating, i think there was 7

dinners served served, they split their meals to save money

i think the server brought 5lbs butter, extra sugar, crackers,

steak sauce, salt-pepper SHAKERS--,--i-l s. Silverware,and napkins.

The evening finally winds down, with everyone bitching about all the

money they spent, when my husband stands up and says to our

servers by now we had about 4,I THINK YOU BETTER SHAKE-DOWN

THESE OLD LADIES THEIR TAKING EVERYTHING BUT THE

KITCHEN SINK!!!!!!!!!. After a hugh outburst of laughter they

really thought he was kidding but we all know better if you have

ever been out to eat with them. My hubby says we will never go

through that again, after leaving a decent tip 2 more double brandies

we left.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

You would think they had been trained to act like that.

My most embarrising moment was going out for a quiet drink with another brother after a meeting to discuss something or other, and he went to the toilet as soon as we went in ( guaranteed to miss buying the first round ) and I ordered a pint of lager and he returned just as the barman was putting it down.

I asked him what he wanted, and in an overly loud voice said " ooh, i'll have a snowball! " ( a girls drink )

My god, ive never finished a drink quicker in my life

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Thanks for sharing that, Searching50. It is amazing what we used to put up with among our "friends" and their mindset.

<burrrrrr, shaking the willies off>

• SYN
    SYN

Geesh. If I was with people like that, I would've been pretty ticked off! I was a waiter once, and Dubs don't tip! Hell, you owe them money after waiting their tables!

• minimus
    minimus

"AFTER PRAYER WE FINALLY BEGIN EATING".....don't tell me you had someone say prayer at a cocktail bar.I can see it now..."Thank you, Jehovah for the fine drinks.."

• abbagail
    abbagail

LOL!@joy2b = "shaking the willies off"

Before I ever began studying, but was living in a Colorado ski town with a girlfriend (circa '76): She was waitressing/working at a popular Mexican restaurant and I distinctly remember her griping about those "cheap JWs." -- I waitressed, too, but don't remember waiting on any JWs in those days. If I did, I didn't realize who they were.

Now jump to the 80's when I was a dub: I remember a KM (or OKM) educating the dubs about tipping (or was it a WT article)? I remember thinking how sad they had to teach us about tipping [at conventions, etc.] for the waiters/waitresses and even the motel maids, etc. Anyone who has ever worked in that field does NOT need to be taught about tipping, but I guess most everyone else has an "attitude" about tipping unless they have walked in a waitress' shoes.

I remember being embarrassed by the cheesy tips left when big gangs of JWs went out to eat, mostly at places like Denny's or the other types of places with the buffet bars, etc. I always said, "I don't care what they are doing, I'm leaving a good tip, 'cuz I been there, done that (waitressing) myself." --- Also, since these types of places never served booze, I don't recall any liquor stories. We did most of our "drinking" at the dubs' homes (usually wine) ;) Which is why I liked it when my worldly parents would come visit: Then I got to go out with them and have "real drinks" in a "real" restaurant/bar! And I usually got smashed... and then of course felt guilty. :-/

My big "thrills" during those years were when my JW-girlfriend's JW-hubbie, who was a jazz drummer, played now and then at the Hilton lounge or some such place, and just a few of us would go and listen. (He gave up professional "drumming" since it didn't jive with being a JW. He did house painting for a living and only did an occasionial drummer job). We did order some booze during those times. There was another lady who was a "piano bar singer" who studied and got baptized, so when she would play around town we would go "have a few" and listen to her. She and I went to the beach a few times back in those days when you could drink beer on the beach. (There were not too many dubs interested in getting a tan, so it was nice to have company for a change.) -- Two other JW-musicians lived and played in clubs occasionally in a nearby town, and we would go see them and have a few drinks (Harold Blanchard and Tom Reynolds). -- In another cong near here there was another JW-singer who had her own band (made up of family members, I think), and I guess her hey-day was before I was a dub, but she still played now and then around town, and it was a big deal for all the dubs to dress up and go watch "Little Eva." I remember being REALLY shocked the first time I went to one of these events, because it was not just a restaurant with bar, but an actual "dance hall" type of atmosphere.

Cruises were also a big thing 'cuz there was a sister who worked part-time for a travel agency, and she and her hubbie LOVED going on cruises (all that tons of FOOD). She would organize groups of dubs for these cruises. I went with them three times, and I remember having drinks with dinner and/or for the entertainment/shows in the evenings on the cruise ships. When those were over, if you weren't already pooped, this same sis was always up and ready to go sit where the dancing was going on. Her hubbie would take a snooze and be back up for the midnight buffet! LOL! Food Food Food, it was all about the Food! to the point of it being sickening, actually.

Of course for all of those "social events," I was the single sis, and it really got to be a DRAG. No available male dubs in any of the congs around here at the time, not in my age group. Which is what led to my demise (DF'ing) in the end...

Grits

Edited by - Grits on 8 September 2002 0:43:25

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit