growing up scared of Armageddon

by bittersweet 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I was just curious if any of you growing up in the truth were overly scared of Armageddon?

When my mom came into the org. in the 70's,the only so called kids book was the paradise lost book.The pictures in that book scared the pants off me!At night when I was lying in bed,if I would hear a loud plane go over head,or there was a thunder storm,I was sure it was the start of Armageddon and I would be sooooo scared.I was wondering if I was the only one overly scared,or if their were others.

Also,was anyone out there extremely frightened of the demons?I would hear all these crazy experiences of people having problems with demons,and I was sooo frightened they would come bother me.Maybe I was just a big old scaredycat,but if any one else has any experiences,please post them!

• blondie
    blondie

When you live daily with abusive parents, somehow Armageddon fades out of the picture.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My biggest fear growing up was that I would not know what to believe, what the truth was, and that at Armageddon people would be saying "go this way" or "go that way" and I would choose the wrong way. In a way that fear came back to haunt me when I started feeling so bad about going to meetings. I finally reached a measure of peace by realizing that I didn't want to spend forever with any of these people, so if that's the way it was count me out.

There's a picture in the old "Your Will Be Done On Earth" book of people coming out of the ground in the resurrection - that used to scare the bejeebers out of me when I was 5! I did NOT want to see my grandmother like that!

As for demons, my parents and I had them in our apartment in California for a few months back in the 1960's and it is NOT fun. More worldly-wise people may scoff at the thought, but there is absolutely no other explanation for the goings-on. I was 9, and my mom and I were studying with a lady who was a witch (found that out later and, no, she didn't get baptized). Mom and I were the ones who were bothered - she heard voices at night telling her to kill my father and once she looked in a mirror and saw a beautiful face telling her to kill him. I was bothered at night by my bedcovers being snatched off, my feet being tickled, and strange faces at my window. To this day I cannot stand to have my feet touched or sleep in a room without covers up to my chin and the curtains drawn. Funny thing is, my dad slept through the whole thing, and about a year later told us he felt that he had the heavenly calling. Mom and I always figured the demons knew that and wanted to get rid of him. Being good Witnesses, we went through the house burning everything we thought could possibly be affiliated with demonic influence, but I remember the night shenanigans just gradually fading away.

Nina

• obiwan
    obiwan

When your DF'D and don't know any better it's all you think about,looking around the corner to make sure and not make a wrong step.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Growing up, I was never scared of Armageddon. I figured that no matter what I do God will fry me at Armageddon so why worry? There's a certain sense of peace to inevitability.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, my mom came into the (B)organization in the '70s as well. And before the Bible Stories book came out, I had the Paradise Lost book. Those two pages depicting Armageddon were downright frightning, but I spent many an hour studying them, trying to imagine what Armageddon would be like. Earthquakes destroying buildings, people falling into cracks into the street, people trying to kill and rob each other.

In 1983 I heard ppl in the congregation speculating on the possibility of 1984 being the date of Armageddon, since it was 70 years since 1914. I was starting high school in Sept. 1984 and I remembering thinking I might only have one month of high school before the end comes.

Leolaia

• Lin
    Lin

I can really relate to this one. My dad used to talk about how he fully expected that witnesses would all be put in concentration camp type places, prisons etc, supposedly as Jehovah's way of "protecting his people when A..strikes". I grew up really terrified of Armageddon personally, with all the mucky muck my dad used to talk about. Plus he'd make us read those year books with all those horror stories of people getting sticks shoved up their fingernails etc, all the situations in Malawi, etc. So, Yeah I grew up really afraid. I still haven't figured out how to view world events as they come, because of all the crap I was taught while growing up, third generation.

Big Tex.............wow...That's how I felt when I got my divorce from that sonofa....B. I divorced him with the firm belief that if God was going to hate me for divorcing my abusive husband, then I didn't need this kind of God and I'd be happier destroyed at A, then to live forever under this kind of ruler. I'm so anxious to meet up with you and your wife sometime soon, hopefully before my wedding! LOL

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It's funny you say that Lin, I can remember working out in service with your dad (back in the day) and having a very similar conversation regarding concentration camps. He felt we should all get "prepared", while I thought whatever was going to happen, was going to happen. He didn't like that too much. When are you getting married?

• mann377
    mann377

It's all a part of the programing and brainwashing, carrots for the dumb and armageddon for the dumber

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Armageddon was the whole reason why I hooked up the JWs. My uncle used to stop by our house and tell us that 'they took the last count for Armageddon at meeting tonight...you weren't there.' Pretty scarey stuff when you are 6 or 7 years old - we're talking mid 1960's here. I remember looking at an old Make Sure of All Things book looking for any information I could find on surviving the Great Tribulation. I was just sure I wouldn't be finishing high school before Armageddon. Everything we did was geared toward Armageddon being 'just around the corner - any day now.' It even affected the classes I took in high school. Stuck to business classes, bare minimum, graduated a semester early - because there was not point in staying in school any longer than necessary. Armageddon was coming, blah, blah, blah.....

Mrs R

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit