embarassed

by restorebeauty 18 Replies latest jw friends

• restorebeauty
    restorebeauty

I just saw a dub at lunch time, in manhattan, on a busy street, looking like a human magazine rack.

My question is, did you ever get embarrased standing in such a public place?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, yes. I remember spending many mornings in downtown Winnipeg, back around 1980, holding magazines and feeling like an ass.

Streetcorner work is far more embarrasing than regular door to door work, which is bad enough.

The worst part is constantly trying to fool yourself into believing that it was not only not embarrasing, it was enjoyable.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Embarassment was my middle name growing up. Whether it was seeing anyone I knew from school when I was dressed up in service/meeting clothes, to having to talk to people at their doors like a little salesman to having to sit at ballgames for the national anthem, to having to not say the pledge of allegiance to not being able to accept a birthday cupcake to not being able to go to the holiday assembly at school...

Oh I could go on

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I never did street witnessing, but I can tell you I lived my first 23 years in a state of perpetual embarrassment.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

when was i not embarrased back when i was a dub?

my grandmother's doctor had this son who was hot, i mean, f##king hot, dude.

we were going out in field service one saturday and we just happened to come to his house. i lost all commmand of the english language at the moment. from then on i never knew that being a witness could be so embarassing.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Why should anyone be embarrassed for zealously and publicly proclaiming the good news of the kingdom?

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

I don't know Cygnus -- maybe it's the because of their embarssingingly low wages and commission rates.

• roybatty
    roybatty

These were my most embarassing....

#3. Being in grade school and having to leave class and sit in the library by myself while the other kids had a b-day party. Jeez, the teachers even felt embarassed for me.

#2. Working train stations. UG! Busy people pissed off because they have to go to work and there I am asking them if they want a WatchTower magazine. Geez!

#1. Having to go door to door on my own street!!! Actually happened a couple of times. OMG! The second time I was 13 or 14 years old and the brother in the car group decided that this was the street we were going to do and he didn't care who lived there. You should have seen the looks I got from the kids who lived next door. Then all of the kids on the street went out side and started following us to each door, giggling and laughing. If that's not child abuse, I don't know what is.

• Larry
    Larry

I'll Post this from a previous post of mine -

"Obviously, I loved the company, and everything prior to knocking on doors, but not the actual door to door - I hated it. I was always embarrass going out in service, never wanting anyone at school, or the neighborhood to see me. I recall after I graduated from HS and started going to business school I aux pio in that magical month of April. I got most of my time in street work. Well, one morning as I was engaged in street work, I ran into a classmate at the business school. Embarrassed, I tried to hide the mags behind my back - they were inside those infamous plastic covers. After a few minutes of small talk and said I have to go, and I hurriedly turned and start walking the opposition direction. As I reached for my mags they were gone. When I turned to the spot where I was talking I saw them on the ground, they must have felled out the plastic cover when I put mags behind my back. Needless to say I felt like a jerk.

I recall a brother during a talk said 'going out in Field Service was unnatural, but we do it for the love of Jah :-(

I hated asking for a donation, hated disturbing folks, hated carrying the service bag, I hated working the same territory over again, hated when people threaten and called security on us. And most of all, I hated 'door to door' work in territories where JW's and people of color were obviously not welcomed. If looks could kill, I would have been death a milion times."

Peace and Security - LL

Restore - You work midtown or downtown? I'm downtown, next to the bull. We should hook up and engage in some street work

Edited by - Larry on 5 September 2002 14:32:30

• roybatty
    roybatty

Larry, I remember hearing that same comment about field service being "unnatural" but that we do it for Jehovah. I think one "brother" added the comment that it was "unnatrual" for the Israelites to become soldiers and kill but that they did this for Jehovah. I wonder if King David was embarassed when he killed his "tens of thousands"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit