Canadian Congregation Robbed

by Kenneson 12 Replies latest social current

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It happened in Edmonton, when "a man in hideous disguise announced he was robbing the 70 Jehovah's Witnesses who were about 20 minutes into the 7:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday at Kingdom Hall, 5004 121 Ave., said the still-shaken elder." See the second article in the Edmonton Sun entitled "Masked bandit horror. Samurai-wielding intruder collared at Kingdom Hall after calls to cops."

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Outlaw, do you own a samurai sword? LOL

• scumrat
    scumrat

He probably didn't get much........ All the money is in NY

• Scully
    Scully

Masked bandit horror

Samurai-wielding intruder collared at Kingdom Hall after call to cops

By RAQUEL EXNER and ANDREA WIEBE, EDMONTON SUN

When William Sokolik left his Highlands congregation to open the door to a late worshipper, he found himself staring down the blade of a sword.

A man in a hideous disguise announced he was robbing the 70 Jehovah's Witnesses who were about 20 minutes into their 7:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday at Kingdom Hall, 5004 121 Ave., said the still-shaken elder.

"When he opened the door, the knife was in his hand and he had it pointed at my face," Sokolik said yesterday.

"The intruder forced the door open and forced his way into Kingdom Hall."
    Armed with a two-foot-long samurai sword and wearing a trenchcoat, latex gloves, sunglasses and a mask covered in bandages, the bandit rang the buzzer outside the front door of Kingdom Hall, police said. He demanded money and bank cards from congregation members.

The stunned congregation stayed calm and followed the man's orders, collecting their valuables and passing them to the intruder at the back of the auditorium, said Sokolik.

"He was very much in command. He knew what he was doing," Sokolik said.
    "He had just a horror mask on his face. It was dabbed with some kind of flesh-coloured make up. He had it taped to his head."

One of the people in the group had a cell phone and called police, who arrived within minutes. Officers burst in through a side door and stood with guns drawn between the bandit and the congregation members.

Police say they had to repeatedly order the suspect to drop his weapon, which he eventually did.

Sokolik was still shaken yesterday, but relieved police arrived so quickly and no one was hurt.

"I'm still reliving it, but it's in the past," he said.

"It's amazing how you hear about these things happening, and it can happen anywhere - in our homes, and even in a place of worship. It shows what troubled times we're living in."

Police arrested a suspect just after 8 p.m. and seized the sword, a 12-inch kitchen knife and a morning star.

Cops said they think the robbery was a random act.

"It's definitely a very, very bizarre call," said Edmonton police spokesman Dean Parthenis.

"The quick thinking person (on the cell phone) was key in us getting there quickly and disarming (the suspect) before anything happened."

Anthony Alan Burton, 41, has been charged with robbery, wearing a disguise with intent, possession of an offensive weapon, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a prohibited weapon.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    The stunned congregation stayed calm and followed the man's orders, collecting their valuables and passing them to the intruder at the back of the auditorium

The masked robber was later relieved of fourteen window washing squeegees and a "free donut" coupon for the local Country Style Donuts.

One of the people in the group had a cell phone and called police

The judicial meeting on cell phone usage during a meeting will be held on Saturday.

Expatbrit

• Scully
    Scully

I'll feel sorry for their "traumatic experience" when they start using their heads and recognize the trauma that a molested child experiences in their judicial system.

Love, Scully

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Oh my God, the man was charged with "wearing a disguise with intent". I guess the prohibition on costume parties was right after all.

• Scully
    Scully

RunningMan:
    >>>Oh my God, the man was charged with "wearing a disguise with intent". I guess the prohibition on costume parties was right after all.<<<

BTW: that charge could apply to JW child molesters too, don't you think?? After all, they go door-to-door dressed up as "Christian ministers"....

Love, Scully

• Ray
    Ray
    One of the people in the group had a cell phone and called police

The judicial meeting on cell phone usage during a meeting will be held on Saturday.

What the hell they need the judicial meeting on cell phone during the meeting? Do they give a pat on the back for hero job?

They don't want the cell phone allow inside the Kingdom Hall. This is crazy.

• TR
    TR
    "The intruder forced the door open and forced his way into Kingdom Hall."

They keep the doors locked during meetings?

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit