WT Nov 4 Study Article - Damage Control??

by Tish 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tish
    Tish

Just been given this watchtower and found the 2nd study article very interesting....

Is this the Societies damage control to Panorama and Dateline?

para 8 onwards says.....

8 Satan tries to break our integrity through the sowing of doubts about what we have been taught. Today, as in the first century, apostates and others seek to destroy the faith of the guideless ones. (Gal 2:4; 5:7,8) Sometimes they use the media to spread distorted information or even outright lies about the methods and motives of Jehovah's people. Paul warned that some would be turned away from the truth quotes 2 Tim 4:3,4

Are they insiuating that JWs are Guideless Ones?

9 Instead of holding to the pattern of healthful words, some were intrigued by "false stories". What were these false stories? Perhaps Paul had in mind fanciful legends, such as those found in the apocryphal book of Tobit* False stories may also have included sensational and speculative rumours. Then, too, some - "in accord with their own desires" - may have been intellectually seduced by those who endorsed a permissive view of God's standards or who were critical of those taking the lead in the congregation. (3John 9,10; Jude 4) Whatever stumbling blocks were involved, some evidently preferred falsehoods over the truths of God's Word. Soon they stopped practicing the things they had learned, and this was to their own spiritual detriment - 2 Pet 3:15,16.

10 We can avoid turning aside to false stories today if we scrutinise and are selective about what we listen to and what we read. For example, the media often promote immorality. Many people encourage agnosticism or outright atheism. Higher critics ridicule the Bibles claim to divine inspiration. And modern day apostates keep on trying to sow seeds of doubt in order to subvert the faith of Christians. Regarding a comparable danger posed by false prophets in the first century, the apostle John warned: "quotes 1 John 4:1" So we need to be careful.

These stories they are talking about the bible and not their own teachings arent they?

11 In this regard, Paul wrote "quotes 2 Cor 13:5" The apostle urged us to keep testing ourselves to determine whether we are adhering to the body of Christian beliefs. If our ears are inclined toward disgruntled ones, we need to analyze ourselves prayerfully. (PS 139:23,24) Are we included to find fault with Jehovahs people? Is so, Why? Have we been hurt by the words or actions of someone? Is so, are we keeping things in proper persepective? Any tribulation we face in this system of things is temporary. (2 Cor 4:17) Even if we experience some trial in the congregation, why should we quit serving God? If we are upset over something, is it not far better to do what we can to resolve the matter and then leave it in Jehovahs hands? - Psalms 4:4; Prov 3:4,5; Eph 4:26

What about analysing the organisation prayfully? If we are hurt by a rapist are they implying that we

should just put it down to a temporary tribulation to endure until Armageddon?

12 Rather than being cynical, let us maintain a spiritually healthy view of the information received through personal study and congregation meetings. (1 Cor 2:14,15) And instead of questioning Gods Word, how much wiser it is to have the attitude of the first-century Bereans who examined the Scriptures closely! (Acts 17:10,11) Then, let us act on what we learn, turning down false stories and clinging to the truth.

Do we question the bible or the literature of the WTS?

13 There is another type of false story that we need to be on guard against. A great many sensational tales circulate, often by means of e-mail. It is wise to be cautious about such tales, especially if we do not know the original source of the information. Even if an experience or story was sent by a reputable Christian, that individual may not have firsthand knowledge of the facts. That is why it is important to be cautious about repeating or forwarding unverified accounts. We surely would not want to repeat "godless myths" or "false stories which violate what is holy." (1Tim 4:7 NIV).

So an experience of an reputable Christian should always be treated like a Godless Myth????!!

What do you think??

Tish

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Thank you for taking the time to type this out.

I think that the wagons are definitely circled and that they are "nervous". I also love how everyone "lies" about the WTS but they themselves never lie.

• Salud
    Salud

Tish,

I am anxiously awaiting to read my Nov. WT. It sure sounds like they are doing some damage control.

And modern day apostates keep on trying to sow seeds of doubt in order to subvert the faith of Christians.

They don't mention that perhaps these seeds of doubt can be substantiated and have some merit. Nor do they allude to the fact that it is not their faith that we often question but their policies. And somehow they also forget to mention that many of the changes that have come to the Society have been the result of those who 'sow seeds of doubt' and 'subvert the faith'.

Salud!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks for posting this Tish. I knew there was a reason I haven't read their magazines in 16 years!

In a twisted way, I have to give them credit. Without coming out and saying anything against us 'big mouth victims', they cleverly weave their doubts about us. As though our tales of being misunderstood, mistreated are concocted to hide our secret devilish agenda! How ridiculous. I don't target Witnesses. I'm trying to help victims period. And those that help them.

I'm not saying there aren't some with a hate-filled agenda. I'm only responsible for my actions, my choices.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tish - I think you are right. The October 1 article, "Jehovah Blesses and Protects Those Who Are Obedient" is along the same lines, but less blatant. I noted the following:

"That lesson is expecially important to Christians today, for Satan is making an all-out effort to prey on God's people (Revelation 12:9, 12, 17) His goal is to destroy our spirituality so that we lose Jehovah's favor and the prospect of everlasting life (I Peter 5:8). However, if we stay close to God and respond swiftly to the direction we receive through his Word and organization, we can be assured of his protective care."

This gives me a disheartening picture of mindless creatures running to the only security they have ever known - the organization - just as horses will run in to a burning barn in their confusion and fear. Jehovah does not require us to run mindlessly, in fear, in a time of crisis.

I looked up all references to obedience in the greek scriptures, and found that o bedience is closely connected to listening. You hear the truth, and chose to follow. Not once is there direction to obey an organization, elder, or the "faithful and discreet slave".

• Farkel
    Farkel

Tish,

This is typical Watchtower rhetoric. Imputed motives without any proof, unnamed critics, unnamed "lies," and unnamed "evidence" for these lies.

They are afraid to address specific evidence levied against them. It's always safest to generalize, while making their loyal readers think they are saying something important. They aren't.

Farkel

• julien
    julien
    Higher critics ridicule the Bibles claim to divine inspiration.

ridicule
    n.
    speech or action intended to cause contemptuous laughter at a person or thing; derision.
    v.t.
    to deride; make fun of.

Note the clever wording. Saying they ridicule the Bible is a subtle but effective way of dismissing the arguments of "Higher critics". As opposed to saying "Higher critics study, analyze and research the Bible and its history, and argue against its inspiration." which might lead one to wonder what the arguments are. But reducing it to mere 'ridicule' is a subtle shift toward something with less merit than a argument based on many man years of collective research.

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Thanks for posting this Tish.

I'm always interested in seeing the latest manipulation coming out of dubdom. Isn't it amazing just how transparent such tactics are when you're actually awake and not mindlessly parroting?

Makes you wonder why any of us did, and many still do, fall for anything the WT says. But I guess if you really want to believe something, you'll find a way to believe it!

-Josh

• jst_me
    jst_me

WHY do they keep insisting that if you leave this organization that you can no longer worship God? My mom tries to use that on me all the time, and I tell her that I still love God I just dont think I can serve him as a jw.

Silly people

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn!!!!

Look at 'em squirm!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit