Why the Memorial?

by professor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

Why is it that everyone and his cousin shows up for the Memorial? What is it about this meeting that makes people come out of the woodwork? Is it like going to Church on Easter and Christmas or something? If so, why do these people even bother?

Professor

• MARTINLEYSHON
    MARTINLEYSHON

Hey Prof.....

I agree with, never understood why these submarines emerge every year. Maybe they think Armaggeddon will come on memorial night or something like that. Message to them all you are wasting your time. The thing is the rank and file, behind their backs ridicule them for being subs, sad really.

Martin

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

why do these people even bother

Because they don't want to give up totally on the idea that they may be spared at Armageddon. They think that if they go, Jehovah might remember them for it - or - they just go for an excuse to wear their new clothes.

Beck

• Prisca
    Prisca

Because for many, it is like a "lucky charm" - JUST IN CASE. These are the ones who still have some emotional or spiritual tie to the Borg, and think that maybe, just maybe, the JWs could be right. So they go along just to hedge their bets.

Some go because their spouses/family members are JWs, and they keep getting badgered to go, so they go, just keep the peace.

Not to mention the love-bombing that occurs at the Memorial - who wouldn't want to go to a function where everyone wants to shake your hand and welcome you there?

• bay64me
    bay64me

I attended the last one for myself. After some time away from the Hall and the people I wanted to, I suppose, reaffirm that I'd made the right choice in leaving them.

• blondie
    blondie

According to the WTS, the Memorial will be held until the last of the 144,000 dies and goes to heaven. Since it is so hard to tell who the "real" or "genuine" anointed are, that could go on for some time. Some of the GB are in their early 50's and based on the longevity of the group (living into their 90's), that could be at least 40 more years.

It was until 1938 that the "great crowd" were invited to the Memorial, 3 years after they had been identified officially. Many of the anointed had bad feelings about the GC attending.

I agree with the comments above about why people come. For DF'd, DA'd, or inactive, not going to the Memorial is cutting the last tie, the umbilical cord perhaps.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

I think, that a lot of pressure is put on those who dont go by active dubs. I know many relatives would not be there if their family wouldnt pressure them.

• Xena
    Xena

It shows your JW relatives that you are not TOTALLY a lost cause.............

it you care that is..........

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

works

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Imagine how many Christians there would be if they counted all of them who showed up for Christmas services? Its the same concept.

Anybody who is worth their salt HAS to show up for the Memorial. ALL of the studies go. ALL of the quasi sort of borderline JWs go and all the guilt ridden. And...they know its only 45 minutes and they can all go out for pie and coffee afterwards. Its painless!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit