Do they REALLY believe in Armaggeddon?

by Mr Angry 12 Replies latest jw friends

• logical
    logical

Quoted from a post last year:

Okay...WTS/GB receives the "mark of the beast" in total compromise when the "Great War" of Daniel 10:1 DOES NOT LEAD TO ARMAGEDDON as predicted in publications, much to their chagrin, shock and horror, leaving those who are now witnesses of their unique "fall" from status as "prophets," now are suddenly, and surprisingly, unwilling to receive the "mark", therefore, INSTEAD OF TOTAL DESTRUCTION LIKE THE WTS, must now receive as Discipline from God, 42 months of trampling upon themselves (by political nations, "beast"), as decimated nation, the Jehovah's Witnesses, worldwide, a DISOBEDIENT PEOPLE clearly revealed for all to see, with only the "humble" among them expected to SURVIVE THE UNPRECENDENTED ORDEAL, just as the "Report" has been speaking of for years and years, and yes, just as, Zephaniah 3:11, 12 says:

"...In that day you [Israel] will not be ashamed because of all your dealings with which you transgressed against me, for then I shall remove from the midst of you your haughtily exultant ones; and YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN BE HAUGHTY IN MY HOLY MOUNTAIN...and I shall certainly let remain in the midst of you a people HUMBLE AND LOWLY, and they will actually take refuge in the name of Jehovah." -- Zephaniah 3:11, 12

http://206.61.99.151/forum/thread.asp?id=1244&site=3

• joelbear
    joelbear

Belief in Armageddon is a coping mechanism. A witness, especially older witnesses like my parents, look at the world and cannot deal with the reality of what is going on around them, so they say to themselves, Armageddon must be near. It helps them cope with life to believe that it can't go on much longer.

You can't really blame them. The media, religion and politics all dwell on the worst news and the worst possible outcome to events. Happy people don't need things. You have to create fear or dissatisfaction to sell new stuff, religious activity or new ideologies.

Its a constant barrage of things to be scared of or worried about and the solution is always something that makes the fear monger richer and/or more powerful.

hugs to all

Joel

• JanH
    JanH

Good question, Rick.

And I think, quite surprisingly, that the answer is yes.

Anyone who studies religion can't help asking themselves the same question repeatedly. Religious ideas aren't typically rational, and most often they are ludicruous from the point of view of a non-believers. Yet, they have millions of followers.

The leaders is of course in a different position, but ever since Russell, and in particular after Rutherford, future JW leaders have been bred not as leaders, but followers. That is why the WTS leadership is, as Penton said, "a cult of anonymity".

The JW leaders -- the GB and the even more anonymous shadow leaders -- have all come to the position they are through unfailing and blind obedience to leaders. Most all were once pioneers or missionaries, living a hard, dangerous and uncomfortable life to satisfy the Organization.

When these men eventually reach the top, they still are followers, not realizing they follow themselves like a cat chasing its tail. They simply do what they have always done in life: following organizational policy. Even when they themselves dictate the same policy, they look to something they think is bigger than themselves: the image in their minds of the ominpotent Organization.

Not that they aren't aware that much of what they do is dishonest. But again, JWs are conditioned to think the truth is whatever supports organizational policy, not what is factual. And the ends almost always justify the means in such organizations.

Only in one situation where it comes to the JWs did I seriously doubt that the leader believed what he himself said: when Rutherford instituted the "princes" doctrine to justify his luxurious palaca Beth Sarim. Yet, at the time I think he actually was so deluded by his ideas about his own grandiour that he actually believed that whatever he said, was the truth, by definition.

- Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit