Do they REALLY believe in Armaggeddon?

by Mr Angry 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Angry
    Mr Angry

I thought I would kick of my prescence here by starting a thread!

Do the Governing Body really believe that Armaggeddon is just around the corner?
    The r&f will accept any old rubbish the Watchtower prints, but at the very top of the org, are they really convinced in their belief that the end is coming?

I’m interested in all your views on this but allow me to elucidate my thinking.

The most recent example of a date “going wrong” was the 1975 farce. The r&f swallowed the reasoning without a seconds hesitation that the end was coming that year. But I wonder what the thoughts of the GB were in the mid 60’s when the information came out. Did they truly think this was “new light” as revealed by God or did they rub their collective hands in anticipation of a decade worth of hysteria ahead which would rake in millions in book and magazine sales. IMO I think the latter.

Ray Franz documents clearly in “Crisis of Conscience” the disagreement in the GB in the 70’s regarding time prophecies particularly 1975 and “the far more fundamental date of 1914”. So clearly if the absolute top of the org. do not even believe in their own doctrine how much longer do they think the r&f will last until they realise it’s a sham.

Therefore IMO the Governing Body not only don’t really believe that Armaggeddon is coming but are conciously aware of the fact. Furthermore they realise the absolute importance of keeping Armaggeddon as a carrot dangling in front of the ordinary JW’s to prevent the steady stream of people leaving becoming a major flood.

Which brings me to another point, will the GB have to set another tentative date in the (relatively) near future as the likely start for “the end”? It seems to me either they must or the entire faith will fall apart within a couple of decades.

So do they really believe in it? What do you think?

Rick

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Mr A
    Welcome.
    I have often wondered along similar thoughts.
    What do they get from it?
    Are any of the GB wealthy?
    Is it for a cushy lifestyle?
    Is it to boost already inflated egos?
    Any more ideas?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Good questions, Rick.

I doubt the GB and others at the top can really believe in the end being as close as they'd like us to believe. Yet they can't come up with anything else that will keep the R & F in, so they continue down the same party line.

I've always wondered, if the R & F really believe the end is so close, then why don't they sell their houses, cash in their supperannuation cheques, and go pioneering? Isn't that what they think would be the best way of spending their remaining months or years of "this old system"?

Or do you think the R & F is slowly wising up to the false promises of the WTS? :O

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Rick, welcome to the board! And may all your anger be "righteous", Mr. Angry!

The WTS has really painted themselves into a corner with constant date-setting. Since last year's re-organization, maybe there's been a bit of fresh blood in the writing department. But they're still stuck with the same dilemma.

I believe they will de-emphasize dates. Of course, that's just a guess. But, if they are reasonable, they WILL just let all that date-setting slide into the past and wash their hands of it!

But still, how to maintain control and motivate the flock? HMMMMM....You mentioned the carrot/stick analogy. I had thought of that too. I believe the "carrot" is the hope of paradise, now to come at some vague time in the "near future". The stick would be the threat of discipline now (you'd better "toe the line", or else...) and the constant reminder that our loving God will bring a bloody Armageddon later.

I believe they honestly think Armageddon is coming. They just don't know if it's really the season. They will continue to point to wars, earthquakes, famine in their proclamation that "this IS the season" for God to act. But, like the rest of us, they really don't know for sure.

Gopher

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Rick,
    I know that my mom doesn't feel any urgency about the big A......we went thru the 1975 debacle,,,,,,she was so sure her parents would never die..........(they are deceased) the generation change,,,,,,,,I think that concept has been overworked into absurdity......the Jw's I know seem the same.......I think many are plain 'burned-out' on that carrot.
    As a kid mom used to say,"You kids won't make it out of grammar school,cuz A. will be here. Then, you kids won't make it thru high school,cuz A will be here. Then, You're kids won't have to go to school in 'this system' cuz A will be here,well 40 yrs of that emotional/spiritual roller coaster have taken it's toll.
    I think it's the newer ones (in the honeymoon phase) of the 'trooth' who still believe that,just my thoughts,Tina

• ICHING
    ICHING

as long as you don't believe it rick, that's the most important thing.

I-CHING

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think they believe Armageddon is coming. But it's evident by the way an increasing number are living their life, they are making back up plans if it doesn't come. And as has been mentioned, alot of people are wondering after so many "adjustments" if it really is so near.

I don't think any Witness believes that Armageddon could come tomorrow. It's always a couple years at the nearest and maybe 5-10 years away at the most in the mind of a Witness.

This thinking is brilliant psychology because it keeps the "sense of urgency" without Amageddon ever being really tangable.

At some point one must think enough is enough, and question if they really are going to live to see it. Sometime I want to go up to an old brother and ask him when he came to the realization that he wasn't going to live to see the fulfillment of the promise, and had he known that earlier in life, would he have lived it differently?

The Society will say that such ones "have no regrets" in how they spent their life. I wonder if that really is the case? How many generations believed "the end is just around the corner"? And how many of those people are dead?

Path

• Prisca
    Prisca

Path,

I have no doubt there are those who DO have regrets, but would the WTS let these ones get on the platform and say so?

Would they print the article "I Waited For Armegeddon to Come for 70 years, and Now I'm Broke and Have No Children or Grandchildren to Support Me"....???

My grandmother became a Witness in the early 1930s. She lived for the day when she could "walk through into the New System". She died aged 91. She had a good life, but I don't intend to wait for 60 years like she did, putting my life on hold. I'm fortunate that I'm still young enough to do something with my life. I wasted enough years looking forward to a promise that never came true.

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Rick,

You said:

I thought I would kick of my prescence here by starting a thread!
    Do the Governing Body really believe that Armaggeddon is just around the corner? The r&f will accept any old rubbish the Watchtower prints, but at the very top of the org, are they really convinced in their belief that the end is coming?

I think some of them are but some aren’t. They have used their life to perpetuate and maintain the monster, the organization that was built by Rutherford and refined by Knorr. Already with Rutherford, it was the survival and well being of the Watchtower organization that became their Raison D’être. As soon as that’ is established, the leaders of such organisations do whatever they have to do to serve and protect it. That is in my opinion the reason we see such things as the cover up of child abuse and all such matter, everything is done to protect the Watchtower organization. No evil deed, no subterfuge is too much in order to protect and care for that organization.

I’m interested in all your views on this but allow me to elucidate my thinking.
    The most recent example of a date “going wrong” was the 1975 farce. The r&f swallowed the reasoning without a seconds hesitation that the end was coming that year. But I wonder what the thoughts of the GB were in the mid 60’s when the information came out. Did they truly think this was “new light” as revealed by God or did they rub their collective hands in anticipation of a decade worth of hysteria ahead which would rake in millions in book and magazine sales. IMO I think the latter.

The driving force behind the 1975 fiasco was Fred Franz, he had lived through the organization in the shadow of Rutherford and had been “brought up” with Rutherford’s insane approach to the Bible, so it was only natural for him to come up with some insane drivel as the 1975 date. Of course this caught on and the frenzy gained such a momentum that the few critical voices was drowned completely. Some of them believed it but some didn’t, but who could argue with success? The literature was flowing out and the suckers kept pouring in, in larger numbers then ever before, the “snake oil” business was booming.

Ray Franz documents clearly in “Crisis of Conscience” the disagreement in the GB in the 70’s regarding time prophecies particularly 1975 and “the far more fundamental date of 1914”. So clearly if the absolute top of the org. do not even believe in their own doctrine how much longer do they think the r&f will last until they realise it’s a sham.

As far as I can remember Knorr privately aired his doubts about 1914, but he didn’t do anything about it. Others apparently believe in the date and still do.
    Those who don’t believe in the 1914 date seem to cling to the ludicrous idea that despite its faults and shortcomings it is still Jehovah’s organization. The “theology” of the Watchtower Society has always been a jumbled mess, today it is worse than ever before, what with the end of the “1914 generation”. Which was their last fixed measuring “device” for the arrival of the “end”.

Therefore IMO the Governing Body not only don’t really believe that Armaggeddon is coming but are conciously aware of the fact. Furthermore they realise the absolute importance of keeping Armaggeddon as a carrot dangling in front of the ordinary JW’s to prevent the steady stream of people leaving becoming a major flood.

I think some of them still hope for Armageddon to come soon. It is extremely difficult for an organization which have built their very existence on shouting “wolf” and ranting incessantly about “having a sense of urgency” and such senseless drivel, to stop it. It will take a long time for them to sort things out and set a new course. They lost their carrot with the 1914 generation, all that is left now is the stick and the numbingly stupid shouting, “the end is near”.

Which brings me to another point, will the GB have to set another tentative date in the (relatively) near future as the likely start for “the end”? It seems to me either they must or the entire faith will fall apart within a couple of decades.
    So do they really believe in it? What do you think?

Rick

I doubt very much that they will risk any new date setting. The information about their totally hopeless “chronology” has reached a staggering amount on the Internet.

Their history in this particular case is extremely embarrassing. The Watchtower Society has always tried to “eat their cake and keep it”. So they will have to make a system where they can maintain the end time frenzy without committing themselves to a new date. As we can observe, they haven’t had any success so far. When Fred Franz died, their last “visionary” was gone, after that they have hardly turned out any “new” literature at all. It is mostly recycled and whitewashed cut and paste material from the past.

The organization is also plagued by an internal power struggle between the ossified hard liners and those who see the need for reform. All of them do however struggle under the yoke of this “larger then life” monster, the Watchtower organization, “Jehovah’s Organization”, which for all intent and purpose in reality is their evil and bloodthirsty God.

I think they will stagger on for many years to come, and I don’t know what the Watchtower Society will develop into. As long as there is such an endless supply of people so willing to accept almost anything no matter how ludicrous and superstitious on the mere say so of others, such entities and the Watchtower Society will continue to prosper and thrive in some form or another.

Norm.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Rick (Mr Angry),

Welcome here to our Home Sweet Home where discussions are free and without recriminations (well, not too many!).

The situation with the F&DS teaching the nearness of the end is a bit like saying one thing from one side of the mouth, and another from the other side,

On one side they seem to have adopted the traditional Christian belief in waiting on the Lord's Return. "Exercise patience, therefore, brothers, until the presence of the Lord."(James 5:7)

On the other side of the mouth they proclaim the nearness of the end, and that the time remaining is short.

So, it's like wanting to have your cake and eat it too!

"A fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?" (James 3:11)

Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit