Why would Jesus have to ask God in the Lord's Prayer, to not lead us into Temptation, but deliver us from evil..?

by Tater-T 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

Why would he have to ask?? ..... and then willingly be lead into Temptation

He knows that's how a GOOD GOD operates, so the first thing he does when installed as Heavenly Ruler...

he casts the ultimate tempter to the vicinity of the earth... so he can do it as much as possible...

has anyone ever noticed this flaw in the Almighty ... he has to be told to do what is Good , then doesn't do it ..

man what a TOOL.. I guess he really does love us... LOL

Oh and then fix it for a 1000 years .. only to lead us into Temptation .... again!!!

• ron rawson
    ron rawson

Your observation walks hand-in-hand with James 4:17 that tells us "if one knows how to do what is right but does not do it, it is a sin for him". Oh My Goodness.....God is a sinner..... I guess if his 'ways are higher than ' our ways we can extrapolate that to mean there is no practical love in the universe.

Again OMG....this is starting to sound like over-lapping generation logic (or lack there of).

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Good points.
  • crazyhorse
    crazyhorse
    Nice question. God is becoming like a fairy tale every now and then.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Evidently, Jesus didn't really mean what he said. There there is that part about ONLY being tempted to the breaking point, but not beyond what you can personally withstand.

Sounds like BS. I guess the littel girl who lost her family in a tsunami could handle it... I guess it explains why I never get hit on, even though girls say I'm hot.

DD

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

I'm Jewish, don't believe in Jesus, wouldn't recommend making a religion from a book or adopt Christianity. Just offering a little insight in case you meet up with the rare Christian who knows their Greek (I'm a linguist myself).

The phrase from Matthew 6.13 you are referring to is KAI ME EISENENKES HEMAS EIS PEIRASMON. Though in 1611 the phraseology is correct to say it means, "do not lead us into temptation," in modern 21st century English we would say the phrase differently: "Spare us from the test."

The author of Matthew was referring here to apocalyptic Jewish writings popular with some during the Second Temple era that believed that a series of "woes" or "tests/temptations" had to befall all during the Messianic age (which of course never occurred). Believing the Messianic age was upon them in their day as well as in this marginal theology, the Matthean movement actually included this petition in their Eucharistic liturgy: "Spare us from the test." The author gave authority to this petition by placing these words in the mouth of Jesus during the Sermon on the Mount, but it is hard to say if the historical Jesus would have actually subscribed or encouraged such attention to fringe Judaism.

In full the petition reads in modern English as so: "Spare us from the test. Deliver us from the evil one." It can mean just "deliver us from evil," but contextually and from historical references it is understood as a Christian petition for freedom from the devil.

Unlike Judaism in general, Christianity developed a counter deity to YHWH, an archenemy if you will. They took the symbol of argument from Old Testament texts (known as "ha satan") and developed this into a literal fallen angel with powers practically on the level with G-d. To this day there is no such archenemy of the Creator in Judaism, but one can see how this peculiar invention of Christianity became central to its religion as it is here presented not as merely an instruction for prayer but in what became (and to this day remains) official liturgy.

Tater is very correct that the archaic version along with JW theology causes more than a mere paradox. It is equally paradoxical that Christians, even Catholics, use the archaic version based on the King James Version (a Protestant rendition) in English liturgy. This has created further confusion among many as some Christians have come to the incorrect conclusion that Jesus was implying that G-d might lead one astray lest one pray that G-d does not.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

There there is that part about ONLY being tempted to the breaking point, but not beyond what you can personally withstand.

@ data dog ,.. where is that .. i just read on Facebook that that is one of the many myths of the bible..

anyone ... is that really ion the bible ? isn't DEATH a breaking point you can't handle .. and won't all the people who fail after the 1000 year reign have been tempted beyond they're breaking point..

• prologos
    prologos

Tater-T I Cor. 10:13.

BSW: since "Necking" was a severe temptation, we were assured we would never go "all the way", the breaking point. and

since when you are tortured to death, you know you can take it, because once beyond unconsciousness, the pain is gone.

most people find temptation quite pleasant, ah, the anticipation.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

Why would he have to ask?? ..... and then willingly be lead into Temptation

The temptation is there regardless. Jesus's request was for God to help people resist Satan's temptation. "and deliver them from the wicked one"

he casts the ultimate tempter to the vicinity of the earth... so he can do it as much as possible...

Nothing to do with him being able to do it as much as possible. There is no difference between Satan having access to heaven and then being cast out and no longer having access. Satan can tempt the same wherever he is. Revelation says woe for the earth because of Satan's anger because he knows his days are numbered, not because he is in the vicinity of the earth.

The issue which started this whole process of temptation etc. was the question whether mankind could live successfully independent of God. And could humans remain faithful to God despite Satan.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Satan is an idea from the religion of Zorastrism (spelled it wrong) and yes mankind would be way better off with out this God if the Bible. Less death less hate more love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit