Emotionally stunted

by onacruse 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor

I can certainly relate to this thread....I think we all can. As for myself, the hardest thing to do is make new friends. Until I was almost 37 I had NO worldly friends. I also owned my own business that was going nowhere. Then a thought hit me. Treat the people that I am trying to get work from, like they were my friends. It took awhile, but soon I had more business than I knew what to do with....and many new friends. Like I have stated in other threads, I have a few "worldly" friends that are better than ANY I ever had at the hall.

BTW, one nice thing about growing up at 37 is getting to watch all the reruns of My Favorite Martian, I Dream Of Gennie, Bewitched, The Outer Limits, and The Trilight Zone, that are all NEW to me. LOL. Not to mention movies that are new like Saving Private Ryan, and other "bad" movies.

TheSurvivor

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

nilfun wrote:

One of the things I have learned since leaving the KH
    is that I don't have to swing at every pitch thrown
    my way. Sometimes I can just let the ball drop and
    it feels sooo good to do that

I really like the way you put that! I couldn't agree more with that statement. For me, life was exhausting as a dub. I never knew how to live for today.....I was always striving for more. Whatever I did well, I felt I could do better. I beat myself up all the time. I was my worse critic. And worst of all, I never allowed myself to be human and make mistakes w/out feeling so guilty about it and wondering who I stumbled. Everything was an "oppertunity" in my eyes.......and a missed oppertunity was a terrible waste.

I think the absolute worse part of growing up as dub for me is that I never was comfortable being alone......I never developed a relationship with me. I left the board feeling like a cardboard cutout of a person. Void of any personality. For many years I think I was a chameleon-taking on the personality of those around me. It wasn't until I spent time alone with myself and really found out who I am, what I like, what I dislike that I started to take on my own being. I use to feel like I just wandered the earth w/no purpose-now I know who I am and why I am important.

I also came to the realization that sometimes I have to sit still in my life. Let things flow around me. I am trying to learn what I can control and what I can't. Where to spend my energy and where not to waste it. To "act" and not "react" with situations that may come up.

Edited by - scootergirl on 3 September 2002 11:4:49

• nilfun
    nilfun
    I left the board feeling like a cardboard cutout of a person. Void of any personality. For many years I think I was a chameleon-taking on the personality of those around me.

Scootergirl, Have you been reading my diary?

I can relate to the chameleon part. Even the way
    that I spoke would change, depending on who I
    was around! I guess that came from years of
    'being all things to all people'.

• seven006
    seven006

Craig,

I told you six months ago you were crazy, you are just figuring that out now? I told you what you needed to become a socially acceptable person but you never listen to me. I will tell you again and I will put it into a list form so you can follow it better.

1. Get Cable TV
    2. Turn on comedy central channel every Wednesday night at 10:00
    3. Watch what Cartman does and simply copy him.

I hope this helps.

Dave

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

nilfun.........only the good parts!

• nilfun
    nilfun

Scootergirl:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit