Ran into some JW's.......but this time I did the teaching ;) x

by snare&racket 28 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

So I went out today with my broken leg and got accosted by an old lady, with some magazines.

It was my first ever encounter with a JW in ten years, and I had said 'I know you are JW's, I'm not interested thank you." Twice.....then she started talking about my broken leg and how wonderful we are made and how amazing the healing process is.... And that's when it all started...."I used to be a bethelite pioneer, now I'm an atheist doctor..."

She was with me a good 30 mins, her elder husband left very annoyed but she stayed, and she was dying to hear everything I spurted out, despite aggressively defending every point, from military engines to paedophilia. In the end, she just went quiet and listened as I poured out everything from Franz, to the origin of the name Jehovah...... Blew her mind, I could see.

I said I felt ashamed that I was ever a JW and said all people think of with JW's is blood transfusions and paedophilia, and that was s heavy blow to her, she looked at me melancholic and said in an embarrassed and somewhat upset tone..."really?" I had non JW's with me that reaffirmed what I said.

They tied themselves in knots talking about other religions they were in decades ago that could never answer their bible questions, expected them to just "have faith" .,..... But then admitted they didn't NEED to question of check anything the JWs told them, so I asked what real progress they had made since the religion they used to be in?

She said she wasn't judgmental and that the JW's weren't, then 5 mins later denounced all scientists as biased and atheist, I then said that most scientists are religious and that she shouldn't judge what amounts to millions of people without meeting them.

I ended by saying, I don't know how you walk up and down this promenade whilst admitting to me here that you don't need to research anything you have been told by your religious leaders, I said it was improper and unconscionable.

I said, I am sure much that I have told you has scared you and you will dwell on it, I am more sure that you will be too afraid to check anything I have told you ......and that..... should say more than anything I have said.

I eventually wished her well, shook her hand and she wandered back to her elder husband that hated that I did not respect his 40 years as a JW, and that 'no' his 40 years did not hold any water or authority with me. He actually said he didn't need to read books to reaffirm anything, I said we were very different people. He wasn't used to being treated as an equal and didn't like defending his silly answers. He must have said '40' years five times, like that means anything,

The cowardly elder threw up the white flag, she was desperate to hear everything I said, whilst pretending she didn't want to and knowingly making empty gestures at defences. For example, when I explained that the military company was owned by what watchtower call a mistake etc, she loved that, then I said.... Well I expected better than that from them and she said, yes, I do too really. When I explained 1914 coming from the length of a pyramid corridor, she laughed at me, so I told her it was her failing to not know that after 40 years .....and I could tell she believed me, so then she said maybe God had it made by the Jews that way and had Russell measure it ...and all I had to say was ....come on..... I went on to talk about there being no evidence of Israelites even being in Egypt, not one historian, not one history book, and same with 607 be, I even went into how she could worship a God that commanded rape, slavery, murder, war and said I am sure you think these same things and don't dare face the questions and she hesitantly nodded along.

i felt sorry for them, though it sounds like it was confrontational, it wasn't I was very respectful, very direct and gave fact, fact, fact, fact and references, three times she asked me if I was DF'd because she was so disturbed by everything I was saying.

I can't lie and it sounds like I'm showing off, but it was a proper JW ass whooping and I was proud that it was me giving it, not for any other reason than how different I am now to who I was. Again, I was being friendly, nice and wanted her to hear it all so repeatedly talked of respecting her and understanding her difficult position.

i talked about candice, about the recent UK case, about how rife paedophilia was in the JW's, she said it couldn't be helped and I simply said 'by their fruits you will know them'.I talked about the domestic abuse and alcoholism rife also, I talked about the governing body being unapproachable and anecdotally unpleasant, I talked about crisis of conscience and franz, the elder said 'he was disfellowshipped' my friend said 'what does that mean?' So I said 'kicked out' my friend laughed and said ...well of course he was! We talked about money, the stock market etc etc.

I know for sure it will all have gone straight through one ear and out the other,but for sure I could see it hitting heart strings and knocking stuff over as it traveled through.

It felt empowering but also a little mean, but also like I had done a good deed. Very odd.

Then we went to the pub..... I couldn't get up the step with my broken leg, you win this time Satan, damn you.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Good for you. I find you can say a lot to a JW as long as you are not rude or mean (assuming you aren't related to them). You must not have been rude or she wouldn't have listened to you that long. Hopefully you planted a seed that will sprout and grow.

• flipper
    flipper

SNARE & RACKET- I'm proud of you man, you did a fantastic job ! Very well done ! Indeed you gave that older JW lady something to think about. I have found in talking to JW's that the women are MUCH more open to being reasoned with than their elder husbands. I had a similar experience a few months ago talking to JW cart people. The elder was so pissed off that he cussed at me , used the word " shit " and threw my child abuse news printouts away.

You did a good deed my friend. Access to information is important- and you provided it for her, good job. Her husband can go sit on his thumb and rotate, don't worry about him, he's a dolt. I hope your leg gets better my friend, take care and hope you heal soon. Thanks for sharing this, very encouraging ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cofty
    cofty

Outstanding!

He wasn't used to being treated as an equal and didn't like defending his silly answers. He must have said '40' years five times

Some people have 40 years experience, others have the same experience 40 times and learn nothing.

Well done.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Good for you. I'm getting tired of tiptoeing around them. They need "a proper JW ass whooping." They always want to be in control. They want everybody just to passively listen to them as if they're the authorities and have all the answers and everybody else is so lost and needs what they have.

And the guy continuing to mention his 40 years would have really ticked me off.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was having a big discussion with my JW aunt who thought she could tell me a thing or three-but everytime I brought up a scripture she changed subject after saying we'd need to sit down with the bible and have a real talk-and not go from subject to subject. I could have stayed on the FIRST subject. But in anycase, I thought on it a few days and decided (haven't told her yet) that I have no interest in destroying her faith. Her life has been a total train wreck and now she is sober(she has been in and out of that and JWs my entire life), in a happy relationship and has a good job. I love her-she has always been more like my big sister than my aunt. She has a stability that I haven't seen in her before. I know it isn't "the truth" as it usually is part of her downfall, but I also know that I don't want to send her down the last dark alley of her life. Being able to prove something from the Bible that I don't have confidence in is a ridiculous ability, but just because I have it, does't mean I need to use it.

A stranger in the street? Yeah, I'd like to talk to one of them. Nothing personal, just their teachings/practices and a bible.

I think you did good. Anyone who is going out and about presuming to be bible "teachers" ought to be able to defend their faith. I don't want to be the passive booby who lets them take authority in a conversation and gloat about it later. I don't want to feed that beast!!

• millie210
    millie210
    I loved this snare&racket, you did a beautiful job!
  • carla
    carla
    Great job! can I send my jw to you?
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

Lol, thanks. Nah it was no fun at all.

i think the best moment, was when she said the world was in a terrible state and clearly coming to an end, she said they knew the end was near and soon.

i said, firstly they have said that for over a 100 years now and have no reason to say it, then she jumped back in with how bad the world is, for which I happily discussed how good life is in 2015 and I used my favourite response to the whole.... The world is going to hell b.s....... I simply asked her to name one year in history that was better than 2015?

She looked at me .....then thought she had outsmarted me and said....not just in the UK, though but everywhere, and I said exactly, every country in the world, which is in fact a much harder position for her to now defend. She just stared at me and I said.....exactly. That literally ended her point there.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well done snare , you may indeed have planted a seed, hopefully

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit