The term 'apostate' - how do you feel about it?

by ballistic 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I know the answer may depend on your religious views now, but how do you feel about the term "apostate". If you are of an atheist / agnostic view since leaving the org, do you still feel a stigma attached to the word apostate or has the word completely lost it's significance. If you have moved on to another religion, do you still believe in the concept of a 'true apostate' and would you therefore find the term offensive? Or are you like me? I was once scared of apostates, and did not want the name for myself even jokingly, then after a little while saw the funny side of it, a kind of "if only they knew" irony. And if anyone like You Know reads this (who says I cannot ask a sensible question) who to you are 'true apostates'?

• Beans
    Beans

I love it , it makes me feel evil.

Beans

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Many black people often call each other the n-word jokingly, it is no big deal for one of their own to use that word. But when a white person uses that term, it is a whole different ball game. That is when it turns into a humiliating label and a blatant insult. When a white person uses that term in a derogatory way, it expresses his/her disdain for the entire negro race.

Same goes for the A-word. For ex-jw's to use the term in reference to each other, it is fun, no harm. But when persons who are still in the cult use the term towards somebody who has left, it has a whole different meaning. It functions as both a stop-thought technique, and, when used directly towards us, it is a hurtful, judgemental insult. That is why I don't bother reading the posts of the defenders that come on this board and use that term in reference to ex's.

Apostates Rock!

• butalbee
    butalbee

I like it. I think it's sexy!

• ballistic
    ballistic

dan, thanks that was a fantastic answer which made it very clear.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

"apostate". I still see it as a dirty word and I don't like it at all.

The thing that really erks me is the WTS labeling whom ever they want as "apostate".

What right do they or anyone have to do that.

Other then that and putting my personal feelings asside the word is just a word.

I agree that we on the board can call eachother "apostate" in a jokeing manner, and it isn't a big deal. And even sometimes a term of endearment. But if a active dub called me "apostate" I wouldn't like it.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Whatever defines me as opposite to them makes me smile more.

paduan

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Dan said it all! And very well I might add. I AM APOSTATE. I know that, you know that, THEY know that. But it depends upon WHO says it as to how I feel about the delivery.

• Larry
    Larry

Good 1 Dan :)

Apostate - what a joke, no sting in that word anymore :) Let me get this straight - If you decide to leave the BORG and say anything against it you are an apostate - second death - eternal damnation. But the same apostate might save a Dubs life or do more good for the community than a Dub could possibly do and that person has an everlasting death sentence. Whereas the Dub could be an hypocrite, kill innocent people due to doctrine, refuse to help someone due to doctrine, judge others due to doctrine, turn their back on family members and receive everlasting life - yeah right.

Ive been out for about 4 years - give or take. And I never met an apostate I did not like (well, 4 the most part.) Remember Apostates Are People 2' :)

Dubs use Apostates like the Western World uses race. They play on peoples emotions, making them think they are different. When they are basically the same - some good people, some bad people.

Peace - LL

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

I use to abhor the word. Then, I accepted the title as a priviledge and an honor.

NOW it's my families claim to fame, I guess.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never harm me!

APOSTATE SUSCARRA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit