Remember Going Out In Field Service Before Thursday and Friday's Heat-Stroke Convention at Dodger Stadium?

by The1975Blues 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The1975Blues
    The1975Blues
    I don't think the kids will remember going out in Field Service at your Convention's City location helping the Fiends do their Territory. On top of the horrendous heat-stroke sitting at Dodger Stadium we had to preach earlier in the week! I heard some elderly witnesses speaking about "Those were the good old days they thought" the grand old time they had while visiting the city of Los Angeles! Arg! Arg! Arg! Preaching in a smog filled city before cars had all the smog equipment, Stage 3 or Stage 4 Smog Alert in some barrios or favelas of Los Angeles sucked! I did not enjoy preaching in those cities we attended, can you imagine preaching in East Los Angeles, Baltimore or some wild city we arrogantly and smugly strutted through because we thought we had Jehovah's Protection Plan?
  • coalize
    coalize
    One stupid question : what's Dodger stadium?
  • The1975Blues
    The1975Blues

During the 1960s-1970s the Watchtower rented a sports stadium for District Convention (Regional Conventions), the seats were hard as a rock(Plastic or steel soft seats that made your butt hurt bad!). They had a pretty decent baseball team when I was a kid. You could take showers in the Dodger's locker room and walk through the arena because we had full access and the witnesses were trusted, one quality we did display or you got removed pretty quick if you stayed overnight i the parking-lot. I won't deny we did get access to Yankee and other Stadiums of fame, because the Witness did not ruin those convention centers, we had full roam, a quality you won't find now!

You had to be there, playing hide-and-seek as a seven year old kid with others (mom taught us about sex perverts and dad was a gun junkie, we had no fear of sex perverts because dad would have killed them and people who knew dad knew that fact as well!). We did have a few good times at night, running around the stadium, goofing off and campfires with fellow friends, like you have a the Apostafest in Tahoe!

http://watchtowerwatch.com/blog/my-path-out-of-the-jw-cult

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    No Dodger stadium for me, but I do remember the pre-convention service in Montreal Canada.
  • blondie
    blondie
    I remember mornings set aside for that and sessions in the afternoons and evenings. My family did not go out....too long a day with us kids. We slept in and had breakfast in our room. We could not even afford the meals at the convention. We spent 2 whole days in recreational events. One day it rained and it was a waterfall down the seats. (not Dodger Stadium)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    coalize: "One stupid question : what's Dodger stadium?"
    The sports stadium where I got baptized. In the 1970s they used to have conventions numbering up to 50,000.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I witnessed a bizarre situation at one of the Dodger Stadium assemblies. A mother and her child, exposed to the scorching sunlight, had umbrellas over their heads. The child's umbrella was completely transparent!

In another convention also at Dodger Stadium I saw a person suffering from seizures being led out on a stretcher with a brush in her mouth.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Went out in Reno on two occasions. Once was "street work" where we actually talked with people on the street. The other was door to door and we had a naked man open the door. Kinda ruined my thoughts of doing that again. Ugh.
  • tiki
    tiki

We used to always go to Yankee stadium...but my mother preferred fifth ave shopping so never was subjected to city fs abuse...but subway mobs..horrific heat humidity and disgusting pigeon poop from the rafters. Swollen feet , swollen ankles...sweat soaked clothes and stinky people. But to hear Freddie Franz rant made it all worthwhile.......

• flipper
    flipper

1975 BLUES- Interesting thread. I remember being a young kid of about 10 years old sitting at those horridly HOT, HOT L.A. Dodger stadium assemblies in the late 1960's that would last for 6 or 7 days ( seemed like eternity ) and sweat pouring off of me as I tried to scrounge under an umbrella that my dad and mom huddled under. It was BRUTAL.

We lived a couple hours north and we stayed with my grandmother down there - so we never went out in service there. The ONLY silver lining to these horrid district conventions at Dodger Stadium were the damned Snow Cones with grape flavoring that they would make. It kept me from passing out on the spot and melting in my seat. I constantly was begging my mom and dad for those Snow Cones ! LOL. Dodger Stadium assemblies were a chapter of my young life I'd just as soon forget . I'm glad we all have our freedom now and don't have to sit through those horrendous occasions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit