VIRUS / Empty Attachment Question(s)

by Mister Biggs 21 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This is scary and annoying. I closed my e-mail link here, but, apparently too late. Today I got an e-mail from "natienyr23" with a huge attachment. I deleted it.

I opened francois' e-mail because I recognized his name. I am going to do a live update to Norton as soon as I post this.

Thanks for the info. When I do send e-mail I am using my regular IP mail, rather than Hotmail. I am only sending to people I know and trust on the board. I always put a note telling them who I am (Tina XXX aka puffs) in the subject line. But I do this rarely.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The really strange part of this is when I opened this thread, I got another IE window open and it is asking if I want to update to McAfee! Then another window with an ad opened. This has never happened on Simon's board.

Is this because the word McAfee was used?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Weird! I've been getting those McAfee popup adds too!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm using my work e-mail address. We have Norton antivirus, which scans all incoming mail and quarantines anything with a virus. It updates itself every night, and scans all our computers everyday at noon. I'm not sure what it costs, but it is well worth it. I've been getting a lot of infected mail lately.

How nice of the good little dubs to be sending this crap to us.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

The "McAfee" pop-ups are the result of the McAfee link that someone posted on this particular thread.

Edited by - Mister Biggs on 28 August 2002 12:16:26

• LaraCraft
    LaraCraft

It's cuz of the embedded page, didn't know it was gonna happen and will delete that post. Sorry guys, didn't mean to scare ya, just wanted to help!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Wow, Lara, I did not realize that the imbedded window caused it.

I have Norton and updated it. It found no infections, so hopefully my cyber penicillin is working

• Simon
    Simon

The attachment may be gone because your (or someone's) antivirus software stripped it out.

I have noticed a big increase in the number of virus infected emails being sent to me recently and I am working on ways to reduce the likelihood of people harvesting email addresses off the site and also removing the need to have the addresses public.

• glitter
    glitter

AVG free anti-virus is good: http://www.grisoft.com/

• Scully
    Scully

Hey Biggsy:

I didn't realize that you were getting mails that appear to be coming from me.

Even if I happened to download a virus or worm, I do NOT keep anyone's e-mail addresses stored on my computer's address book utilities. Anyone receiving blank e-mails with attachments that seem to come from me, please do NOT open them. The only address I have in my address book is one that I know doesn't exist (I tested it to make sure it bounced), and if I were to ever get a virus of this sort, I'd know it immediately because of the bounced message I'd get back.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit