VIRUS / Empty Attachment Question(s)

by Mister Biggs 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

In harmony with a thread recently started by Coffee Black and along the same thought as puffsrule, I need answers from you fine folks here at JW.com

I received e-mails (usually from Scully) that Scully didn't send to me. Scully has received e-mails from me that I never sent to Scully. Before I realized it was a fake, I opened one with an attachment. Like puffsrule mentioned, there was no text in the body of the email and there was no option to open the attachment. That being said...

What short or long term effect does this potential virus have on my PC? What is the point of this potential virus? Is it a virus or is it just an annoyance and a prank? If I don't have any names saved in my Address Book (and neither does Scully), how did our e-mail addresses apparently send out e-mails to each other?

Can any of you tech-heads answer my questions? I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There is someone else out there who is infected with the email worm who has both of your email addresses in their address book. When the worm sends out its emails it will use the addresses in the host's address book to make it look like the emails are coming from other people. This is how the worm keeps people from tracking down who is infected.

Who ever is infected most likely does not even know it.

I recommend that everyone here make sure they have their antivirus programs updated with the latest virus definitions. If you don't have an antivirus program, let me know and I might be able to help.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Elsewhere-

Thank you for the insight. What does this "worm" do to my PC? Also, how can I find out what damage (if any) it has done? Thanks.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Unless you have a virus scanner that can identify it (if you are in fact infected), I really cannot tell you much.

Send me an email and I can arrange for you to download a virus scanner from my ftp server.

• LaraCraft
    LaraCraft

I recieved it too, all were large file attachments of like 180-197 mb, kb or whatever. They were from posters that I never emailed, so I deleted them.

If one PC has a virus, it will copy itself and mail a copy to everyone in your address book. Usually hotmail would delete them so they would be a blank email--they scan for virus's of att. before hand.

Get antivirus software, keep it updated and configured properly--that's my best advice.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Before you can know what to expect from your little gift that keeps on taking, you have to know what kind of worm it was. Can you supply us with the names of the files that were attached to the message?

One way to avoid problems like this in the future would be to create a FREE yahoo email account that you use for your mailbox in forums such as this. After the Dateline show aired, someone "harvested" all or most of the addresses on JWD and they've been subject to attack ever since. If you have a Yahoo email account, it give you the option of scanning attachments before you download them.

Then you'll have your PUBLIC email on Yahoo, and your PRIVATE email will be known to those to whom you wish to make it known.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 28 August 2002 11:36:52

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 28 August 2002 11:38:6

• LaraCraft
    LaraCraft

Edited by - LaraCraft on 28 August 2002 12:25:24

• Mulan
    Mulan

I get several of these a day. A good rule to follow is: If you don't recognize the sender, delete. Do NOT open any attachments.

If there is nothing in the text area, and an attachment is there, delete. Sometimes I write to the person asking what it is. Everytime they write telling me they sent nothing.

• waiting
    waiting

I have Hotmail, and it scans with is virus detection for attachments, then I use Norton's per my computer guy's pleadings with me.

Btw, just received an email from Imbue this morning (which I seriously doubt came from her) with an attachment. It was warning me about a virus, and to click onto the attachment to tell me more about how I can prevent the virus.

I never emailed her, doubt she'd ever email me - so I deleted without opening. However, my computer guy says my computer can be infected by just being on the net. He's paranoid, however.

lol - guess those faithful and discreet Christian Jehovah's Witnesses aren't willing to "Stand back and see the glory of Jehovah in the oncoming destruction".....wanna swings some netbats too. Idiots.

waiting

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Thanks for all of your advice.

Elsewhere, check your e-mail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit