Adult Children of Alcoholics

by Ray Skyhorse 27 Replies latest jw friends

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Ray,

While the WBTS occasionally prints articles seemingly favorable to AA, the posters are right about it being dependant on your local congregation's view. I know of one example in the last few years where the C.O. made it a point to condem outside help during his talk. After the talk, a brother asked if that included AA, he responded, " Yes, why would real Christians need it?". The presiding overseer then informed the brother ( who was attending AA meetings ), that the C.O.'s comment was specifically for him. The brother then asked the P.O. how the C.O. knew that he was in AA, and the P.O. sez, " I told him" (so much for confidentiality). The P.O. then, in ensuing conversation, says " Well, go to those meetings, but just remember, God's spirit isn't down there " ( now that's what I call encouragement ). I know of a number of J.W.'s whose lives have either ended or have been severly impacted by UNTREATED ALCOHOLISM. And yes, there is a difference between heavy drinking and ALCOHOLISM. AA does not believe it is the only way to get sober, but as they say, " if you want what we have, you are welcome ". Regardless of some of the critics here, if you think you've got a problem with alcohol try AA.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Thanks Scootergirl for your response.

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

KH and elders can be very different. If your wife attends a KH where the PO is more open then it may not even be a problem. The KH I attended the PO would probably advise and then butt out. Other POs might be complete arses about it.

Like AA the same goes.

Good and Bad ones exist. It would not be wise to think otherwise.

Keep in mind they are like any other organization when it comes to quality. Don't be afraid to shop around even if it means going farther outside your own community. That is what a friend of mine had to do before things began to improve in her life. Her first experience with AA was the worst place she could have ended up. However after a few tragedies accrued and loosing custody of her children she finally got serious, acquired a recommendation to a much better AA outside of her community and things improved a great deal.

Again Best wishes.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Oh I couldn't agree more........not every meeting is the same. I went to quite a few before I found my "home group". It is finding the meeting/people that are right for you.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

It was through my 5 year attendance in A.A. that helped me gain insight into the religious abuse issue(s). I've read some rather good things on this thread regarding any 12 step program. Overall I believe it can help, but agree with much of what BG wrote about. And as SG mentioned it sometimes does depend upon the group of people in association.

My former husband who at age 45 spent 5 years in Adult Children of Alcoholics...and it helped him. I don't recall his "acting out" like the child, but I certainly know he would cry like one because for the first time he was amongst his own...sorta like the reason any of us might come to sites for former JW's. Actually I don't see any difference between the so-called "symptoms" that affect the alcoholic, the adult child, the religious abuse survivor...it comes down to Shame. Never measuring up...basically no genuine self esteem. The issues are many, there is no quick fix nor pat answer.

After 5 years of attending A.A., I began seeing too many similarities between that mindset and that of the JW's. By then my life had totally changed for the better; the whole reason for getting into recovery. I no longer needed their concept of a higher power which does seem to equate that christian god - no matter how much they might say otherwise. BUT...I was one screwed up woman when I got into recovery and was forced to learn that personalities are no different in 12 step meetings then they are anywhere else. Any of us get into recovery because of the issues affecting us personally. It's not about some contest of who likes who...who is an arse...who isn't....arse's can be found most anywhere if that's what we're looking for.

I'd encourage your wife if I were in a position to do such. And while I'd agree it might be important to give her space by not attending with...that is up to you two. If for any reason she doesn't want you next to her, then she can express that. One couple in A.A., the wife hated Alanon because of the whiney women that did little for their own recovery; always pointing the finger at the drunk...was always beside her husband at A.A...and worked her own steps. Oh, she would stay home one meeting out of the many her husband attended weekly, but that is their relationship. They are truly one of the more balanced and sane couples I've meant in many a year. No one can really tell you what to do.

My gosh I could ramble on for ever about this because the 12 Steps saved my life and sanity...because I worked the steps. It's not all about chit chatting...it's about doing the necessary footwork that any recovery program requires. And just like these forums...take the meat, spit the bone. And move on when it's time. We are not held captive, but simply shown another way to look at the world.

My e-mail adddress should you be interested: [email protected]

Tell your wife for me that dealing with this situation is much more important then holding to the JW doctrine. My family is so screwed up from alcoholism it ain't even funny...but by golly they sure have that meeting attendance down. My heart goes out to your family, sincerely.

Granny

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Well said, granny........well said

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    They would go out together after the meetings and bar hop

LOL.. Not to be insensitive as alcoholism is a serious problem, but I find that funny as hell!

-Rick

• mevirginia
    mevirginia
    LOL.. Not to be insensitive as alcoholism is a serious problem, but I find that funny as hell!

Thats OK Rick, she is able to look back on it and laugh now herself. This was several years ago now. Ofcourse at the time it wasn't very funny. We had to treat her like she was a teen ager and she was in her thirties with three kids.

• overit
    overit

some interesting comments here. I personally attend a 12 step program and was not put off by the 'god concept, or higher power' to lean on. My spirituality was not destroyed by a cult or the mind control did not frighten me off from participating in another group.

I never told the elders about personal decisions I wanted to make, I already had 'them' sumed up. I was always an individual within the group. I joined the WT when I was 21yrs old so I was pretty much my own person. I truly was there because of "Jehovah". When I disfellowshipped the WT org. I never walked away from GOD...Higher Being ..whatever.

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

MV,

Glad she is doing well now.

-Rick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit