How did you view your congregation?

by haujobbz 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

BTTT

I wanted to keep this thread going for a while longer. The responses so far have talked about cliques, gossipers, rich and poor, but no one has mentioned something that used to be very common in The Empire and may still be so.

My first cong was one of two in a very small town that by all rights should have only had one congregation. The "other" congregation was the "black" congregation. Now it wasn't known officially as the "black congregation". There were some white folks who attended there. But even though I was only about 4 or 5 at the time I do remember overhearing the term: "the black congregation". Now honestly, that little KH was in one of the black sections of town while my cong met at a hall in a mostly white area. If you look at it on a map, it makes some sense. Except for the fact that our next-door neighbors were the "token whites" at the "black congregation".

I can't really say what the racial percentages were in the last Hall I attended. (No longer using city names or peoples' names. Jedi and above email me for more info). But there did seem to be a feeling of "blacks associate with blacks and whites with whites". When [name classified], a black kid, and I became best friends there was indeed some controversy. And not on the part of any white folks. It was a couple of the blacks who didn't like it because I'm white. His family would come over to our house, and were so uncomfortable about it at first, and I went over to their house constantly to the point I didn't even knock on the door. (I'm just that way, like Kramer on Seinfeld) But I can never remember a time when my family ever was invited to the home of a black family in the cong.

Col. J.R. "Bendrr" Brown, [classified]

Edited by - bendrr on 28 August 2002 19:18:57

• LDH
    LDH

Having spent the first 25 years of my life in one cong, I was under the mistaken impression that they were messed up because it was "a small town."

When I complained I got the talks from my father which included, "Continue putting up with one another" and the talks from my mother which consisted of "Good for nothing slave, you are doing what you ought to."

LOL.

When I moved a couple of times, and ended up in California, I switched congregations. It gave me the chance to see that due to the petty schemes entrenched in every KH, they are *ALL* messed up.

Yes, there are some nice people. But I bet if you went to Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary there would be some nice people there, too.

The last meeting I went to was here in Fresno (well technically Clovis, CA) where I heard the brother giving the Sunday talk say we should not be jealous of people who own RVs (Recreational Vehicles) in this system, because we would all be driving theirs in the new system!

I walked out.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit