JW Fears

by freedom96 18 Replies latest jw friends

• glitter
    glitter

We weren't allowed ice-cream from Mr Whippy or Mr Softee ice-cream vans because of lecithin, but nobody *said* *lecithin* or knew it was the lecithin that we "weren't allowed" - it was always "Mr Whippy ice cream has got blood in it". So we we only had scoop ice-cream in cones rather than whipped ice-cream from the dispenser thing. Or lollies that were made of ice cream like twisters or strawberry splits. All of which would have had lecithin in them of course.

I remember when we weren't allowed pink iced gems because of cochineal until we were told that crushed beetles "didn't count" as blood.

• sonoita
    sonoita

Yup, I remember the same phobias also. In the mid 60s M & M's

were supposed to have blood in them, which may have been tied

in with the lecithin phobia, who knows? Of course the Proctor and

Gamble thing. One not mentioned was the fantastic amount of

eggs vultures and other carrion birds were laying...getting ready for

Armaggedon. Of couse this was debunked by experts.

how do I get rid of these double spaces?

Sonoita

Edited by - sonoita on 27 August 2002 16:4:0

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

I remember some brothers discussing whether to eat Mr. Whippy ice cream or not, but in our circuit this was a moot point as the assembly hall had that sort of ice cream dispenser fitted and that was often the highlight of most peoples assemblies!!

The basic rule, however, was if it had not appeared in print it was probably a rumour and ignore it. Some chose to err on the side of caution I guess, as was the case of a person ordering chicken from a resteraunt as long as they could assure him it had been bled and not strangled!

These things are fine when they are kept as personal opinions, which is what they are unless they were discussed in the pages of the WT, but some opinionated person always had to open their mouth and pass on a falsehood or half-truth, thus successfully making any who fell for it appear foolish in the eyes of others. I wouldn't attribute it to brainwashing, just general stupidity and/or lack of knowledge. How hard is it to uncover the reality for yourself in theses and similar cases? I'm sure some people started thses rumours off out of badness just to see who would get on board.

I do remember the children being told not to play with TROLLS, though. Those little dolls with the spikey multi-coloured hairdos.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Did the sisters at your congregations live in morbid fear of a demon raping them? You wouldn't believe the stories I have heard about the sisters fighting off the devil's advancements. LMAO. I guess nothing turns Satan on more than a female, Christian, witness of Jehovah.

Cheers,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 27 August 2002 16:40:58

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

They didn't exactly live in fear, but I heard of someone who said they had been!

Also someone who called on a white witch whilst on the ministry and swore they saw her dog 'grow' two foot taller while they watched it!!!!!!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I know of one sister that claims to have been sexually attacked by a demon but she is schizophrenic. It was probably a case of one hand not knowing what the other hand was doing, if you get my drift. LOLOLOL

Robyn

• Makena1
    Makena1

The lecithin thing reminded me of the "Tootsie Roll" scandal when I was a little kid. My mom and all of us kids loved tootsie rolls (chewy, got caught in our teeth, but tastey!). A sister who was also a RN came by the house and saw a bowl of tootsie rolls on the counter and had a fit. "Don't you know that TR's contain lecithin derived from blood products? Throw those away!"

My mother (wife of PO) fortunately was a sensible lady and investigated the matter and found out it was another bogus JW fear. We continued to enjoy TR's.

Mak

• freedom96
    freedom96

As far as the Society writing this stuff down in their mags etc, I think they would have been very careful from a legal standpoint. Though, it is laughable what they have indeed written. I have forgotten about many of those stories, they sure are funny.

How about being careful if you bought from a garage sale for fear of the people being demonized and it transfering onto the item for sale and perhaps bringing a demon home with you?

Or........... going out in service and seeing that demonized look in their eyes! Looking back, chances are that they partied the night before and were hung over, thus the glassy look in their eyes. Far cry from being demonized!

• Swan
    Swan

I remember at one talk at a circus assembly they said that sisters shouldn't wear dark colored panty hose, only nude or beige. The dark colored panty hose were linked to prostitution.

We weren't allowed to say golly, gee-whiz, or gosh because they were other forms of saying God, or Jesus.

One kid told me that they knew someone who bit into a Milky Way bar and there was blood in it instead of carmel because they hadn't mixed it enough at the factory.

In case the demons start to molest you in bed at night, yell JEHOVAH! as loud as you can and they will stop immediately. The yelling part was apparently to make sure those hard-of-hearing demons heard you.

Masturbation leads to homosexuality.

Stickers are laced with drugs to get little kids hooked.

One sister believed that David Copperfield and other stage magicians must have called upon demons to perform their illusions. Kreskin was also looked upon with Satanic contacts.

A JW in Florida was once so involved with the demons, he knew them on a first name basis and could open and close curtains with his mind. I wonder why he didn't get that act on the road like David Copperfield.

Only Mary had a true virgin birth, but young girls could get pregnant swimming too close to boys in the swimming pool. I wondered if they shouldn't have two baptismal pools at the assemblies and have lady dunkers as well.

M & M's had blood in them, but then some of us kids reasoned that they were okay because they were too little to have any blood. We bit into some and there was no blood.

Demonic possesed items defy all laws of science regarding combustion when set on fire.

One brother noticed that he had trouble staying within the speed limit after buying shoes at a second hand store. These were demonized shoes that were making him break the law. ("Officer, the Devil made me do it!")

You must be careful eating at Polynesian restaurants because of the Tiki's. They could exert a demon influence.

Women with pierced ears were loose.

That's all I can think of. Silly now looking back at it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit