JWs at Hearst Castle

by concerned mama 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

FreeWilly,

I love your idea. A table with information about the pedophile issue, the blood-murder issue, the UN issue, all the wrong dates issue, the shunning issue... --- right next to their table covered with Watchtowers and Awakes! and What does God require of us? pamphlet...

• blondie
    blondie

Interestingly, many US colleges and universities allow the setting up of tables with JW literature on various subjects in their common areas. Other groups are allowed too. Of greater interest is the requirement that a certain number of JWs be attending there as students as a prerequisite for permission. No JW college students, no table. Hmmmmmmmmm....

• anewlife
    anewlife

Wow! I was just there at Hearst's Castle in July with my boyfriend and believe me I would have noticed them if they'd have been there that day!

I left the Borg two years ago and for the previous two years or so this was how the "preaching work" was being "set up." In fact, (confession time....) I even planted myself in front of a Walmart with literature with another sister and all we had to do was let the people going in and out of the store come up to us....we were not to approach them. Frankly, it was "easy time" and I prefered it whenever I got to do it (It became one of those things where pretty much the "priviledged and favored" in the congregation got to do it more than the rest of the mere publishers! Figures!). Anyway, it was set up by one brother in charge and done all day long in two hour shifts. The last shift was from 8 p.m to 10 p.m....can you imagine? Well they're still sitting out in front of that particular Walmart here in my town....obviously I choose to shop elsewhere!

Cheryl/anewlife

• Larry
    Larry

Wow - Nice trip! Any car problems? What is the one thing you would recommend to someone (like me and my family) that would like to make a trip of that distance?

Peace - LL

• freedom96
    freedom96

Absolutely blows my mind! When I was growing up as a witness, we put hard time in! Rain or shine, we had to go door to door. In my hall, going for a donut break was being spiritually weak. Just going on not-at-homes was a treat, because there was more walking inbetween houses. Or better yet, return visits if there was a large car full. Kinda ticks me off, seeing them at the airport or elsewhere putting in there time. What a cakewalk, and a poor excuse of a way to count time. Any ole shmuck can sit there on their rear ends. Like anyone comes up to talk to them. Ha!

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

The do it in my area, used to do it myself.

They set up at local Malls, Universities and large stores like Wal-Mart.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Ruby, I hope you can do something so that they will have to leave. I believe we were there on the 15 of August if that is any help.

Larry, it was a great trip. We have a Honda Odyssey van, so we travelled in comfort even in the heat of the Mohave Desert. No car problems at all. We did the trip in 2 weeks as that was all the time we had, but an extra week would have meant some wonderful flex time to actually get out of the car and look around more. We missed so many lovely places I would have loved to explore. We had the whole trip pre planned and motels booked, which was good as many of them were full and without reservations we couldn't have got in. I wished we had more information books about the areas we passed through , and I should have found at least a Fodor's California or something to bring along. My kids are teenagers, (18 and 14) and we all get along really well plus we had 3 drivers which made a huge difference. Bring lots of CDs as there is lousy reception in all the mountain areas, and lots of different kinds of music. Burned mixed CDs are super. We got a CD version of a novel from the library which was interesting, but only good for long easy driving stretches as you had to concentrate. A less involved book, even a kid's book like Harry Potter may have been a better choice. We stayed in moderately priced motels which included a continental breakfast, and found that so much easier . We bit the bullet and got a separate room for the kids, which got expensive, but we only can handle so much togetherness, and 2 bathrooms are a real bonus. We had a small cooler for pop and some lunch stuff, but found that there wasn't always a fridge in the room and finding a grocery store in a strange city can be surprisingly difficult, so we didn't picnic as much as we thought we would. Ahhhhhhh, let me think, oh yeah, a blanket and pillows for the backseat nappers. Whoever sits shotgun in the front has to stay awake and change CDs and pass assorted goodies to the driver. I guess my main recommendation would be to come to Canada, where your American dollar will buy you almost 1 1/2 Canadian dollars. My husband and I will need a stiff drink before we open our next VISA bill.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Are you sure they weren't just dub "squatters" hoping that Armageddon would come while they were selling books so that they could be the first say "dibs!" on the house?

There is NO home in the world that even begins to approach the value of the Hearst Castle and dubs are notoriously materialistic in their hearts.

Farkel

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

The Dubs in Sydney run a stand in TownHall Station. I'm not sure if the section they're in is owned by the SRA (State Rail Authority) or the QVB (Queen Victoria Building)

I do think there's a bit of an over-reaction here, however. No matter how much we hate the 'Tower, there is freedom of speech and freedom of religion in our countries. It's protected by the very state which owns these properties we're grumbling about here. I think the rival stand next to the JW one is a great way of making life tough for them while teaching them a lesson about freedom of speech, etc.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Mama,

I visited Hearst Castle in 89. Lovely place and I always recommend seeing it to anyone visiting California.

I'm wondering, however, are you referring to the grounds themselves? Or to the visitors building/ticket area at bottom of the hill where tourists catch the buses to take the tours?

Either one makes me want to hurl my dinner, but thought of them actually on the grounds............

Steph, freedom, yes...but Hearst castle? Last thing I would hate to see is a bunch of religious "tables" duking it out in such a place that has much historical value and beauty.

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit